Canceling my K701 order... am I crazy??
Mar 21, 2006 at 10:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

spaceconvoy

1000+ Head-Fier
Having waited ~3 weeks so far, and just as the news hit about the new giant shipment being expected (at Headroom), I decided to cancel my order. I've only emailed them so far, so I have approx. 5 hours to reverse my decision before they open for business. Simple enough - am I crazy or not?

The decision was mostly thanks to this thread. No matter how spectacular the frequency response or detail, I don't think I could love a headphone without an engaging, forward presentation. Instead I'm ordering the AD900, which I hope will fix the midrange issues I had with the LTD but still give me that great in-your-brain soundstage.

Aside from telling me I'm crazy, could anyone else comment on the K701's presentation? Maybe I could be swayed back into the flock.
icon10.gif

Mar 21, 2006 at 10:09 AM Post #3 of 46
Yeah, I don't see what you stand to lose besides the shipping costs. At worst, you find out that you don't like the K701s after burn-in. At best, you find that you really like them. So I don't see why you cancelled your order. And remember, no matter what people say, trust your ears. I was one of those people who ordered the K701s after the initial shipment all the way back in November. Even then there were conflicting opinions about the K701s, but I took the chance and found out that I really like them.

Mar 21, 2006 at 10:23 AM Post #4 of 46
Well, the main thing I would lose is the cash to buy the AD900. Can't afford both at the same time, and right now the AT has three things going for it:

- I could escape without having to upgrade my source, amp, etc.
- As a result, my rig would be more transportable
- I already know I like the general AT presentation, unless the AD900 and LTD are radically different.

I'm not really one of those people who has to try everything and find the absolute best, but I am looking for something very particular. An immediate soundstage is probably the biggest part of the equation for me. I figure that if I'm happy with the ATs, then that's it. If not, then I'll go back to the K701.

[size=xx-small]** Edit **
300th post![/size]

Mar 21, 2006 at 10:27 AM Post #5 of 46
Ah, I see. If you know you like the AT sound signature, then perhaps it is best that you spend your money on the AT cans first. I'm one of those person who has to try everything to find out the right sound I like, but I can certainly see why some people wouldn't want to do that. Plus, both of these phones are still in production, so you won't lose anything by buying either right now. I say go for the AT cans then, and hopefully you'll find what you are looking for.

Mar 21, 2006 at 10:56 AM Post #6 of 46
Like the previous poster(s) said, trust your own ears and also your instinct. If you think you know your AT, then by all means buy the ATs. I ordered the SR325i and the K701 with no real thought. I heard they were both good cans so I got them both. I simply knew I had nothing to lose. The worst thing that can happen is I sell them off and get most of my money back, so who's to lose? Personally, I don't like being locked into a single brand. I like to sample a lot of different sound signatures and so far, my search for a "perfect" pair of headphones has been quite successful! Not that all of my headphones are perfect, but they are very good at what the do best.

In your profile, it says you sold the A900LTD? What's up? Why are you going back to the A900? If you've had the AT 900LTDs wouldn't it be a logical decision to either try something else, go higher up the AT line (W1k/2k25k series or AD1k/2k for example) or "rebuy" the LTDs?

Mar 21, 2006 at 11:02 AM Post #7 of 46
I think he's trying to hear the open AD-series in the AT lineup. I've never heard of the AD-series, but they are supposedly the open version of the A500-A900 line.

Mar 21, 2006 at 11:08 AM Post #8 of 46
Right... I stand corrected. Well then, I don't see the problem with cancelling the K701 order. The AD open air series is very well known and also well regarded. The high end ones are $$$ though...

AD1k: $379
AD2k: $749
AD900: $259

Mar 21, 2006 at 11:57 AM Post #9 of 46
The higher up ATs do look intriguing, but then I'd probably need an amp, then a new dac, then etc. I'll start with babysteps. I think I've pretty much made up my mind - the only thing that will change it now is if someone tells me:

- You won't notice much difference between the AD500/700 and the AD900
- The AD900 have recessed mids just like the A900
- The K701 has a forward and immediate presentation

I'm not really worried about the last two, as I've read several concurring opinions on these topics. But I'm still not quite sure about the first one - there's not a lot of info on the AD series, plus IMO most people at headfi tend to exagerate slight differences in quality. Is $100 (the difference between the 900 & 700) a reasonable price for peace of mind/keeping upgraditis at bay? Probably. And thanks for confirming I made the right decision guys - I know it's silly but it still makes me feel better about large purchases.

Mar 21, 2006 at 12:10 PM Post #10 of 46
Trust your own ears!!!

My god, you're putting way too much stock in the impressions of others. If you don't like them, you could return them or sell them on this board for a minor loss!

Mar 21, 2006 at 12:56 PM Post #11 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by nierika
Trust your own ears!!!

My god, you're putting way too much stock in the impressions of others. If you don't like them, you could return them or sell them on this board for a minor loss!

I don't know... I used to agree with you about trusting your own ears, but after listening to a bunch of different headphones and re-reading reviews of them, I've found that more often than not I tend to agree with the general headfi concensus. The only tricky part is figuring out which reviews are worth paying attention to. Since I can't buy every headphone in the world just to try and decide for myself, I've found that headfi is a reliable way to make the first half of a decision.

Mar 21, 2006 at 2:49 PM Post #12 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by spaceconvoy
Having waited ~3 weeks so far, and just as the news hit about the new giant shipment being expected (at Headroom), I decided to cancel my order. I've only emailed them so far, so I have approx. 5 hours to reverse my decision before they open for business. Simple enough - am I crazy or not?

The decision was mostly thanks to this thread. No matter how spectacular the frequency response or detail, I don't think I could love a headphone without an engaging, forward presentation. Instead I'm ordering the AD900, which I hope will fix the midrange issues I had with the LTD but still give me that great in-your-brain soundstage.

Aside from telling me I'm crazy, could anyone else comment on the K701's presentation? Maybe I could be swayed back into the flock.
icon10.gif

To be honest, IMO, what people choose to buy is their business. But I think your missing out on a superb headphone if you do cancel. I am so impressed with the 701's balance I guess I hadnt payed much attention to the midrange perspective ... as it just sounds right period. But I did pay attention this morning. I find the midrange is definitely more forward than the senn 600/ cardas .... but certainly not grado forward. Personaly, the 701's perspective is .... here comes that word again .... balanced. Not to recessed and not to forward and near perfect for my tastes.

Of the AT cans I have heard the only one I think I could get along with is the W5000. I have had some brief listens to the AT900 and I thought the headphone was mediocre sounding. The 701 is a much better sounding headphone than the AT900 to me.

Thats my $.02.

Mar 21, 2006 at 2:52 PM Post #13 of 46
After waiting this long, I wouldn't cancel the order almost out of principle, if nothing else. See this thing through to the end.
wink.gif

The only way you can make a truly meaningful judgement is to use your own ears. You'd have 30 days to do whatever needs to be done.

I think cancelling the order based on no actual firsthand experience was probably premature.

Mar 21, 2006 at 2:58 PM Post #14 of 46
I will state again that I disagree with MarkL's assessment of the headphones.

There were so many things I thought were off-track that I'm dismayed that his "initial impressions" thread has such wide reaching effects. Especially for a headphone that is KNOWN for a severe break-in period.

It's hard to say whether you'll be happy with the K701's. But I guess it's your dime to risk.

Mar 21, 2006 at 3:07 PM Post #15 of 46
I don't see anything wrong with not getting them, but you should try them at some point. Seems like they're a pretty "love it or leave it" kinda can... while I was in the "leave it" camp after hearing them, I think you ought to make your own judgement call.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back