(Canceled) Is such a thing worth getting for the Samsung Galaxy S2?
Feb 4, 2012 at 1:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Mister Epic

New Head-Fier
EDIT: I'm not getting one. This thread is already done. You can delete it if you want.

Hi, I'm new here. Just joined this forum thinking I can get audiophile answers to my audio-related questions.

First of all, when I'm out, I listen to my music through my Samsung Galaxy S2. I find it convenient to have a music player and a smartphone in one single device. Then, my headphones are *flame shield on* Monster Beats Studio. Yes. Beats. I was a total  headphones newbie when I bought these during last summer, and I have been suckered in by epic marketing from the seller. But next time I'll get something Sennheiser since I like this brand (I use CX 680 Sports during my workout sessions at the gym, and they sound great for sports earphones). I do like my Beats thought, but I know audiophiles say that they are overpriced. I'm not bragging about these.

Almost all of my music files are FLAC files that are encoded by myself from WAV files I purchase from websites such as http://www.trackitdown.net and http://www.junodownload.com. You may have guessed it, but I'm an electronic dance music fan. Especially Hardcore (not Gabber) and Dubstep, but I also like Drum & Bass, Hardstyle, House, Trance, Hard Dance, Electro and Breakbeat. I also have some Rock and Metal music and very few classical ones. I also have some 320 kbps and V0 MP3s and very few 256 kbps AACs. I don't buy CDs. I know that their audio frequency is only 44.1 Khz. When I listen through my phone, I use the latest version of PowerAMP, with the equalizer set to boost the bass and treble.

I'm not a newbie when it comes to digital audio files, and I know how to use command-line based audio encoding software. I know that Lossless > OGG > AAC > MP3 according to my own audio tests, using a Logitech G35 gaming headset (set in Stereo) on my PC. Once again, I mention another audio device not audiophile-worthy. I'm a gamer, by the way.

But I'm one when it comes to audio equipment. While doing my searches about audiophile-related subjects, I see terms and acronyms for which I don't have a clue about. What's a DAC? What's DSP? What does the word impendance mean?

I think I can call myself an newbie audiophile. Like the kind of audiophile who still needs information and who is far from having the best audio equipment. I'm looking for the best audio quality possible, especially on-the-go but also on my PC, for electronic music. I'm not looking for the exact life-like reproduction since electronic music is synthetic. Sure, there may be some real sounds sometimes, but almost all of the rest in synthetic. I just want to hear the most of my electronic music.

Let's get to my main point now. I saw that the Samsung Galaxy S2 is far from being the best sounding portable music player, and that a headphone amplifier can boost the audio quality. I'm not sure if that's the case, since I know that these things are mainly used to make sure bigger headphones work on smaller devices. That's why I'm asking.

Is a portable headphone amplifier really worth buying when it comes to using it with that phone and Monster Beats Studio? Will it help boosting the audio quality?

I also have a second question. A thing I like from the Beats is that they come with an audio cable with a microphone and a button for smartphones. I can answer calls and speak through this, and I can use it to skip songs in PowerAMP, without taking my phone out of my pocket. Will a headphone amplifier block this feature? If so, I might as well get a Cowon J3 or a Sansa Clip +.

Thanks.

Feb 5, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #2 of 4

EDIT: I'm not getting one. This thread is already done. You can delete it if you want.

I'm sorry to hear that. We at Head-Fi are not able to help each and every single person. Please do not let this ruin your Head-Fi experience. I hope you will come again the next time you have any questions.

Feb 5, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #3 of 4

Quote:

I'm sorry to hear that. We at Head-Fi are not able to help each and every single person. Please do not let this ruin your Head-Fi experience. I hope you will come again the next time you have any questions.

Don't worry. It's not the fault of anyone. I just decided that I might as well get a dedicated PMP instead of an amplifier.

If I have other questions, I won't hesitate to ask here. Also, I might contribute by doing more than just asking. It looks like a good headphones/audio community.

Feb 5, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #4 of 4

Quote:
Don't worry. It's not the fault of anyone. I just decided that I might as well get a dedicated PMP instead of an amplifier.

If I have other questions, I won't hesitate to ask here. Also, I might contribute by doing more than just asking. It looks like a good headphones/audio community.

Thank you, some people think that because their post wasn't answered, that Head-Fi is rotten or something. Yes this is not only a good one, but probably the largest headphone audiophile forum in the world. We are probably also the biggest audiophile forum also. Sure there may be audio forums in China or other large population countries, but they aren't as probably well versed as Head-Fi which caters to the entire Americas' and Europe. As we are the biggest forum(probably) you will also experience a lot of noise and stuff here as opposed to others. But hey, I've checked out the others and their site's were hard to use(looked like they were from the 90's) and had a small community. Their community may be small but knowledgable. But I like/prefer a large one.

It took me a couple months to start, and I have been contributing a lot, hope you do as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back