Canalphones for under $30?
Dec 17, 2005 at 8:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

GameMaster90

New Head-Fier
Hi, first post here.

After just three months, my stock earphones that came with my RCA Lyra died on me. Only one ear bud plays sound, the other is dead. So I am wanting some new phones, preferably canalphones. Could some one reccommend a decent pair for under $30? I've recently been looking at the Koss Spark Plug, are they any good?

Thanks in advance.

Dec 17, 2005 at 8:55 PM Post #2 of 22
Canalphones can range from $70-$1000. The $1000 range would be for custom Canalphones, aka IEM(in ear monitors).

I would recommend looking at brands such as Shure, Etymotic, Ulitmate Ears, and Westone to begin. You can use the search function to find out more about these brands.

Some sites to visit:

www.headphone.com

www.earphonesolutions.com

Both helpful websites for first time buyers of IEMs.

There are more options available. You'll find them as you are searching for the brands I recommended.

Dec 17, 2005 at 9:00 PM Post #3 of 22
In the $30 range the closet you will find to what you are looking for are the Sony ex51's. They have decent sound and they can be had for a price right around your target price.

Also Griffin now makes a canal type phone EarThumps, they are only 20 bucks and might be worth a try. I have never heard these but my guess is they will be an improvement over your stock buds that broke. Here is a link:

http://www.griffintechnology.com/pro...umps/index.php

Dec 17, 2005 at 9:34 PM Post #4 of 22
u can get the jvc ha-fx55 for 20 bucks online. they are better than the sony's for less money.

Dec 17, 2005 at 11:20 PM Post #5 of 22
there are many of these low cost canal phones that sound better than the sony's, for example, the Panasonic RP-HJE50, the jvc ha-fx55, and the Pioneer SE-CL20. Are they all basically just the same phones rebranded, or are they different, if so, which ones are the best?

Dec 18, 2005 at 12:54 AM Post #6 of 22
The FX 55's are strange in that they have a really big soundstage. I have AKG K401's so I know a decent soundstage. The JVC's replaced my Koss(more fun, some isolation, and made them sound small) as my main portable phone. I also tried the Audio-Technica CK5's based on their great reviews and the fx-55's beat them too. For even less than $15, some isolation/no leakage, and also a volume control version available they, IMO, take the title of "king of the budget cans" away from the Koss models.

They do need a small clip for the cord. The good seal and light cord make them microphonic. Hooked to right below where the cord splits and the only real drawback to these phones is removed. The other drawback is that they do not come with any sort of case/bag to put them in.

I don't know which Lyra you have. I have the RD2765 5GB. The JVC's sound very good with it. They beat the Koss even though they had great synergy with the Lyra. The RD2675 came with Sennheiser MX-400's, decent buds, which the JVC's also beat.

They JVC's as well as the Koss have a lot of bass. The JVC sounds less congested basswise, a little more defined to me. Actually, the JVC's have more bass since I don't use the Jazz preset which was what the Koss had the magic synergy with. It raises both the bass and treble. There is too much bass with the JVC so I can't use it. I use the 5-band and boost only the treble to balance the bass since I am not much of a basshead. Basswise, they are like the DT770 of the canalphone world.

Anyway, if you froogle them, they can be had for as low as $20 shipped. I paid $22 shipped.

I'll also add that while people have had problems with HJE50's and EX51/71's breaking, I have had more than a few times where the JVC's have been yanked out of my ear/s with falling players, tossed them around and let them get tangled etc. yet no problems in the 3-4 months I've had them. I like that they come with a 1 year(not 90-day) warranty and JVC America is in Wayne, New Jersey so if there is a problem(I'm in NY) postage is cheap for me.

Dec 18, 2005 at 1:16 AM Post #7 of 22
I've tried using Victor FX-55 (japanese version of JVC FX-55). It's has clear sound, pretty good bass, heavy but focus, unlike those of Sony's. However the one big thing that disappointed me is that the vocal doesn't sound attractive. The voice of the singers seems coming from very far away and it's thin. I heard that this issue can be improved/"solved" by adding an amp/good amp. However, I don't really want an amp with me, I just want to use the headphone jack from a portable source.

Instead of FX-55, I would recommend creative EP630, which has warmer, more balance sound and good sound stage. It's a bit more expensive than the JVC, around 25 - 30 bucks I guess.

Dec 18, 2005 at 2:01 AM Post #8 of 22
That's interesting. I've had or have AKG401(great AKG mids), SR 60's(good up front vocals), and JVC DX-1's(nice, smooth mids/vocals). With those phones I am sure sensitive to off, distant vocals. Sold the Sony XD-400's for that very reason. I was very happy with mids of the FX-55's right out of the package. And amped only the bass tightens up while the mids/treble exhibits very little change at all. I didn't try the Sharp/Creative because of a few to many mentions of metallic highs until modding them.

From what i have learned, the three best are clearly the Sharp's, JVC's and Audio-technica's. The Sony's, Panasonics, Pioneer's are a notch below.

Dec 18, 2005 at 7:52 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by jant71
The FX 55's are strange in that they have a really big soundstage. I have AKG K401's so I know a decent soundstage. The JVC's replaced my Koss(more fun, some isolation, and made them sound small) as my main portable phone. I also tried the Audio-Technica CK5's based on their great reviews and the fx-55's beat them too. For even less than $15, some isolation/no leakage, and also a volume control version available they, IMO, take the title of "king of the budget cans" away from the Koss models.

They do need a small clip for the cord. The good seal and light cord make them microphonic. Hooked to right below where the cord splits and the only real drawback to these phones is removed. The other drawback is that they do not come with any sort of case/bag to put them in.

I don't know which Lyra you have. I have the RD2765 5GB. The JVC's sound very good with it. They beat the Koss even though they had great synergy with the Lyra. The RD2675 came with Sennheiser MX-400's, decent buds, which the JVC's also beat.

They JVC's as well as the Koss have a lot of bass. The JVC sounds less congested basswise, a little more defined to me. Actually, the JVC's have more bass since I don't use the Jazz preset which was what the Koss had the magic synergy with. It raises both the bass and treble. There is too much bass with the JVC so I can't use it. I use the 5-band and boost only the treble to balance the bass since I am not much of a basshead. Basswise, they are like the DT770 of the canalphone world.

Anyway, if you froogle them, they can be had for as low as $20 shipped. I paid $22 shipped.

I'll also add that while people have had problems with HJE50's and EX51/71's breaking, I have had more than a few times where the JVC's have been yanked out of my ear/s with falling players, tossed them around and let them get tangled etc. yet no problems in the 3-4 months I've had them. I like that they come with a 1 year(not 90-day) warranty and JVC America is in Wayne, New Jersey so if there is a problem(I'm in NY) postage is cheap for me.

i have those JVC IEM's as well. and i happen to live in the same town as JVC America
biggrin.gif

for 20 bucks i cant complain. i am going to make my first foray into 'higher end' IEMs with the westone UM1's but as a noob, i like the jvc as pretty decent lil budget phones. ive heard the sonys and i like the jvc better for sure. im curious to see how much better the westones are gonna be.

Dec 18, 2005 at 1:37 PM Post #10 of 22
I was always tempted by to try the lower end IEM's. I ended up trying the JVC's on a whim since they were fifteen bucks. I really don't like IEM level isolation. I don't like that IEM's can be more difficult in getting the correct seal. I also don't like things that far in my ears. And reports of lower end IEM's having a small soundstage scare me away.

We all have upgraditis but I may go in a different direction, portable wise. I'm waiting for the Grado Streetstyles to appear and see how good they are. My other choice is the new JVC HP-AL1000 clip-on.

I'm also hoping for a JVC high-end canalphone. The 55's are a low number designation. Jvc uses 5,7, and 9 so maybe there will be an FX-75 or 95 in the future. AT already updated the CK5 with the CK7 and Panasonic has the HJE50 and HJE70 canals. I hope for an improved version that retains the big phone sound.

Dec 29, 2005 at 9:50 PM Post #13 of 22
I have the two Sony's, and a woman at work has the JVC's. I find the Sony 51's the most comfortable of the ones I've tried (including Panasonics, Etymotics and Shures that I own), by a slight margin over the Sony 71's. The Sony 51's and the JVC's have really long cords; the Sony 71's have a very short cord, with a long extension. I usually use the 71's (without the extension) to listen to a small flash player in my shirt pocket -- the short cord reaches there easily.

The three "finalists" that you mention are all fun-sounding earphones -- most consider them a definite improvement over bundled earbuds. You'll do OK whichever you get. The Sony's have bass that is either "fun" or "bloated," depending on your tastes. If nothing else, these three will stay in better than earbuds, which merely perch on the outside of the ear. Plus, people around you won't hear what you're listening to.

Dec 29, 2005 at 11:14 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by steel102
I hav seen many people saying they like the panasonic HJE50's over the sony ex51/71's.

I will be getting my HJE50s tommorow... I'll try to post my impressions of them by the weekend. I ordered mine from Amazon for like 21.00 including 2 day shipping (thanks to the Prime trial
biggrin.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back