Canalphones for under $30?
Dec 30, 2005 at 12:25 AM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by jant71
That's interesting. I've had or have AKG401(great AKG mids), SR 60's(good up front vocals), and JVC DX-1's(nice, smooth mids/vocals). With those phones I am sure sensitive to off, distant vocals. Sold the Sony XD-400's for that very reason. I was very happy with mids of the FX-55's right out of the package. And amped only the bass tightens up while the mids/treble exhibits very little change at all. I didn't try the Sharp/Creative because of a few to many mentions of metallic highs until modding them.

From what i have learned, the three best are clearly the Sharp's, JVC's and Audio-technica's. The Sony's, Panasonics, Pioneer's are a notch below.

yeah. i agree. the vocals on the jvc does sound a bit thin and distant, those are the perfect words to describe it. after havin the UM1's for just a lil bit the difference is large.

someone give me 250 so i can get the um2's already.

Dec 31, 2005 at 5:07 PM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by vulc4n
I will be getting my HJE50s tommorow... I'll try to post my impressions of them by the weekend. I ordered mine from Amazon for like 21.00 including 2 day shipping (thanks to the Prime trial
biggrin.gif
)

Well, I got the HJE50s today, along with another set of KSC75's. Honestly... My first impresion of tjhe HJE50s is reminiscent of the one star reviews I read on amazon. They sound extremly trebbly and tiny to me. All it took was about 2 minutes for my ears to begin to feel really bad. So... Unless something miraculous happens with these while burning them in I have to say I don't recomend them. The KSC75, while being ugly and bulky, sounds so much better and cost less.

EDIT:
A quick update on the HJE50s... A little EQ goes a LONG way with these things. On my nano, the 'Lounge' or 'Deep' settings bring the trebble to an acceptable level and belive it or not, they actualy start to sound decent. Still, I think I'm going to be looking for something better very very soon. At the moment, I can't seem to get past the fact that something just doesn't quite sound right. The mids seem kinda recessed, regardless of the eq settings I use.

EDIT 2:
See post bellow, the HJE50s need to be burned in before listening.

Dec 31, 2005 at 5:12 PM Post #18 of 22
i would try the philips she 9500. they are not that bad, 20-30 $. creative build something like that to.

dont try sony, the build quality of theyr in-ear phones is very cheap. i had some of them, friends to. and i read a lot of reviews in some forums saying the same. after a few months the cables get broke.

Dec 31, 2005 at 8:03 PM Post #19 of 22
I have to note that I found it really hard to get a good seal with the HA-FX55. Ended up pretty much not using them at all since it was so hard (and yes, I did try various tips for each ear).

Jan 1, 2006 at 1:07 AM Post #20 of 22
Well, the HJE50s definatly need to be burned in before listening. They sound so much better now after about 6 hours of burn in. I think they are a good replacement for stock buds, and if they continue improving I suspect they will atleast be compareable to the KSC75.

I am also interested in doing a mod I foundd which involves switching out the stock tips for e2 or er6 tips and removing the filter in the sound tube. Its said to improve isolation, bass and trebble... So sonds like a worthwhile mod.

Quote:

Originally Posted by K2Grey
I have to note that I found it really hard to get a good seal with the HA-FX55. Ended up pretty much not using them at all since it was so hard (and yes, I did try various tips for each ear).

Have you tired using different tips as sugested in the HJE50 mod? Might be worth a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back