Canadians: Do you wear shoes in the house?
Jan 15, 2010 at 5:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

shigzeo

The Hiss King
I've been Canadian since 2003 but lived in the massive country since 1996. I love it, but I am always perplexed by the ins and outs of the culture. We share and disseminate too many ideologies from many countries that I am confused as to what a Canadian is. One question I have is: Do Canadians wear shoes in the house?

I haven't met any who do and I have been in Toronto since I moved to Canada. However, I have heard of some Canadians who do. In order to avoid humiliation, I will leave this poll anonymous. If you want to pipe up though, feel free.

The reason I ask is that my mate (from Japan) said that Canadians did wear shoes in their homes. But upon further inspection, they were Americans working in Canada as part of the Blue Jays contingent.

My sister's Australian husband brings his shoes and dirt in the house too; but she seems to have gotten used to it. I haven't.

Rules:
1. You must be Canadian to answer this question. Not an indentured servant or permanent resident. You must be a citizen.
2. If you are a Canadian living abroad and your habits have changed to reflect the culture you live in, please mention it in a response.
3. Rest of the world: this may be an interesting study on Canadians who have a difficult time defining themselves.

This is NOT to become anything but a poll and yes/no thread. Political comments should stay out. It is fine to mention that you don't like dirt or like it, but nothing else. I am merely trying to find out if Canadians on the large, wear shoes or do not wear shoes in the house.

Jan 15, 2010 at 5:38 AM Post #3 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by JadeEast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No Mucklucks in my igloo.

Lmao. Eff you for the coffee all over my keyboard!!!

Jan 15, 2010 at 5:41 AM Post #4 of 39
Only occasionally, especially if I'm at school, in my apartment. Sometimes forget something in my room, gotta run back to grab it, usually too lazy to kick them off. Home home (in Toronto), I take off my shoes at all times though.

Jan 15, 2010 at 5:50 AM Post #5 of 39
BC man, born and raised. Have NEVER worn my shoes around my, or anyone elses house.

It's a major thing for me. I drove across the States and Canada last summer, and I took my shoes off every time I entered a friends house. No matter if they told me to keep 'em on or not. I actually argued with one of my better online (previously to that) friends for 10 minutes to let me take off my shoes.

Jan 15, 2010 at 6:23 AM Post #7 of 39
Take off shoes all the time, esp with the horrendous amount of salt on the sidewalks as of late. Though in the summer if i gotta get something fast and its not venturing onto carpet ill keep my shoes on

Jan 15, 2010 at 7:18 AM Post #9 of 39
Perhaps I should mention that I was born and raised in Southern Sweden and attended an international school peopled with brits and Germans. There, I never wore shoes inside the house either. I cannot say if that is typical of northern Europe as I only have experience with the Netherlands, Norway, Denmark and Sweden. After that, I moved to the States when I was 10 and until I was 15, shoes were on my feet everywhere I went.

Jan 15, 2010 at 7:30 AM Post #10 of 39
Too much snow out to where my wet shoes in the house, the wife would kill me, though even in the summer I take them off. I am bare feet in the house as soon as I get in all the time, winter or summer.

Jan 15, 2010 at 9:12 AM Post #11 of 39
I just had to laugh. I don't wear shoes coming from an Asian American family and I'm not allowed to answer, so don't mind me.
biggrin.gif

Jan 15, 2010 at 2:13 PM Post #12 of 39
Canadian living in the US: I don't wear shoes in the house in Canada, or in the US. It seems that some of our American friends do keep their shoes on in the house, and the invite us to do the same (which I can't do, it just feels too weird). Only one of my Canadian acquaintances (who happens to live in Canada) wears shoes in home. But that said, the kid is a little off: He's super skinny, but insists on wearing clothes a few sizes too big because he thinks he looks better (he doesn't). He had a pretty good job installing residential security alarms that he quit because he didn't like going into other peoples houses, and instead took up a job working at Blockbuster (this was only a few months after having bought a house, and the blockbuster job wasn't going to pay enough to make the mortgage payments..), so ymmv.

Jan 15, 2010 at 2:32 PM Post #13 of 39
I'm not Canadian (American) and I never wear my shoes in my house. Nor does any of my family. And, out of respect, most people coming into my home slip their shoes off at the door. It's kind of ironic because when we bought the home, we had all the carpet on the main level removed and hardwood floors installed so people would feel comfortable leaving their shoes on if they wanted. And I'm of English/Scottish descent so there are no customs of removing shoes before entering a home (that I'm aware of). For people who are not bound by tradition/custom, I think removing one's shoes is simply a matter of respect for someone's home. Of course, that's my opinion and like a-holes, everyone has one.
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back