Canadians: Controversy over our (unofficial) national anthem!!
Jun 10, 2008 at 1:30 AM Post #2 of 23
I figured that if CBC didn't regain the rights we would eventually forget that it existed. It feels cheap that CTV/TSN bought it and will use it on their hockey broadcasts. I can see it now, it'll become the new leafs theme song, since that's all TSN seems to play is leafs games...

Btw...I love the fact that the article is on the CBC website...one final kick in the junk for CBC...

Jun 10, 2008 at 2:16 AM Post #4 of 23
I love Canadians and I hope your country heals quickly from this wound.

Jun 10, 2008 at 2:38 AM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

"We offered arbitration, mediation — we offered to meet their price. On Friday, when it came right down to it, we never got a response from them on our latest offer and find out, in the meantime, they appeared to be negotiating with CTV."

frown.gif
Too bad CBC couldn't have held onto it.

Jun 10, 2008 at 4:06 AM Post #7 of 23
sigh.... wednesday night TSN hockey? That's really not the correct place for our other national anthem. Oh well.

Jun 10, 2008 at 4:27 AM Post #9 of 23
I find it sad. What is odd is that I read an interview with the composer who said CBC dropped the ball, wasn't interested in buying it and was going in a new direction. So who is to be believed? I gotta say, somethings are really iconic and this song is one of them. I'm not a crazy hockey nut but when I watch a game I usually watch a pair and that is on a Saturday night. As long as I have been watching that entailed a certain anthem and a certain crazy ex-Boston coach who knows hockey like no other human being every has.

Jun 10, 2008 at 2:16 PM Post #11 of 23
It is rediculous that CBC couldn't open the coffers to secure the rights...it is literally a part of our heritage.

Jun 10, 2008 at 2:53 PM Post #12 of 23
In 2004, after 52 years of broadcasting in French, we lost the signal from our public television (it was then transferred on private ($) TV signal) and you are upset about loosing the musical theme.....

Hey!!!! I'm sure we can work a deal and bybass the current run for a new theme. How about a Céline Dion song for the next generations...
tongue.gif

Amicalement

Jun 10, 2008 at 3:17 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Genetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In 2004, after 52 years of broadcasting in French, we lost the signal from our public television (it was then transferred on private ($) TV signal) and you are upset about loosing the musical theme.....

That sucks too, but why can't we be upset about both? Or is that not permitted?

My friend died last week. That sucks, a lot. My friend's mother died a few months ago. That sucks too. Am I not permitted to grieve since his loss is arguably a greater one? I think not.

As for Celine Dion, let the Americans keep her.

Jun 10, 2008 at 3:25 PM Post #14 of 23
I think Tiger Woods said it best, "Who watches hockey?"

Personally, HNIC needs some major changes in its format. The first thing they need to do is get rid of Harry Neil, Bob Cole and Don Cherry, then the broadcast might be watchable.

As for the theme going to CTV/TSN. Who cares.

Just my 2 cents.

Jun 10, 2008 at 3:29 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That sucks too, but why can't we be upset about both? Or is that not permitted?

My friend died last week. That sucks, a lot. My friend's mother died a few months ago. That sucks too. Am I not permitted to grieve since his loss is arguably a greater one? I think not.

As for Celine Dion, let the Americans keep her.

WHO said I was against grieving both? I'm sure our lost is a lot worst than the canadian anglo side but this is YOU who are placing me on the dark side.

Amicalement

Users who are viewing this thread

Back