Can you use the Sound Blaster G6 as a DAC?
Dec 12, 2023 at 4:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

LeDave

100+ Head-Fier
I am planning to get a Sound Blaster G6 and a Surfans F20 to use together. I have a super low budget set-up right now, a Prozor and a Phinistec Z6. I am in dire of upgrading my set-up with Christmas cash coming up.

Is it possible to use the Sound Blaster G6 as a DAC and will it be compatible with the Surfans F20? I know the Sound Blaster G6 is meant for gaming, but can it be used just as good in sound quality for audio music as well? Thanks!

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2023 at 7:39 PM Post #2 of 5
Sound Blaster G6 is already a DAC/amp (which means a DAC is already built in) so it is kinda a no-brainer as to whether it will work as a DAC. However, it is a gaming focus device intended to be fully powered by a desktop source (PC, PS5, Switch, etc) so it is likely a mobile device will not have adequate power to run it on the go, or at least the battery life will likely be poor.

Secondly, a quick Google search seems to suggest that Surfans F20 doesn't have an OTG function. So it is likely it won't support any external DAC.

Lastly, G6 and F20 combined will be around $200, enough to get you a pretty good-sounding DAP that has a perfectly functioning DAC inside that requires nothing external. I don't personally see any point in why you will want a 2-pieces setup when one device can do all the job. For example, my Shanling M1s is around that price range and it drives all my headphones just fine.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2023 at 8:56 PM Post #3 of 5
What audio player do you recommend that I use without needing a external DAC? Also what audio player do you recommend that can support a external DAC?

My budget is $100-300

Also from my research, do you recommend the HIFI WALKER H2?

Dec 12, 2023 at 9:01 PM Post #4 of 5
I'd keep it simple with an Apple USB to 3.5mm adapter on your phone and if Android, USBPlayerPro, Nuetron, or Hilby to play since they can bypass the Android stack and use the full power of the adapter. It's all most people need. Put the money into upgrading to a phone with a 5,000ma battery.

Dec 12, 2023 at 9:39 PM Post #5 of 5
What audio player do you recommend that I use without needing a external DAC? Also what audio player do you recommend that can support a external DAC?

My budget is $100-300

Also from my research, do you recommend the HIFI WALKER H2?
If you are looking for a budget friendly, all-in-one DAP with OTG support, I'll recommend you take a look at Shanling, Hiby or Hidizs - these are well known and well received brands from China. You will be far less likely to go wrong with any of them than some random brands on Amazon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back