Can you tell the difference between different cables?
Aug 30, 2007 at 5:23 PM Post #166 of 191
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With music of a normal sort, one would be lucky to hear the difference between 2 or 3 dB. We all listen to music, not continuous test tones.

See ya
Steve

Can you provide a citation to back this up. A 3db drop is a halving of intensity isnt it ?, I would have thought that we would be capable of greater discrimination than that.

Aug 30, 2007 at 7:19 PM Post #167 of 191
If the difference between two cables of the same gauge is 0.025db at listening levels it is way below what is known to be detectable in level discrimination tests which is 0.25db (Toole and Olive 1988) and that only in pink noise studies in lab conditions i.e low ambient noise, with music discrimination is no better than 0.5db (Jestaedt, et. al. 1977) (at 80db levels) at 5db it goes up to 1.5db.

Of course if you make the cable very thin and/or very long you can get big time signal loss, but why would anyone rational do that ?

Aug 30, 2007 at 8:11 PM Post #169 of 191
Jeez. Just listen to it yourself. Stop posting boasting theories like that would make your listening seems to be better. It shouldn't be hard to to notice the different between 300$ and 3000$ cables if your eargasm is good enough.

These are my cables I'm currently using
AC: wattgate silver -> VD powerone -> wattgate gold -> PAD anniversary
IC: valhalla (upgraded rca to wattgate nextgen super silver)

Why? Because I found it better and worth for my listening experiences. It may be not for yours since this is not easy stuff like from mp3 to CD experiences. But what you don't actually realize doesn't mean it should be the same to others. Isn't it called democracy for stuff like this?

P.S. not that i don't know about those theories but maybe those aren't enough to prove the facts behind its sound. Who do you think you are? A researcher from Nordost company?

Aug 30, 2007 at 8:25 PM Post #170 of 191
Quote:

Originally Posted by WindowsX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It shouldn't be hard to to notice the different between 300$ and 3000$ cables if your eargasm is good enough.

Of course, that assumes (a) that there IS a difference, and (b) that the difference isn't due to some other factor besides the cable.

Aug 30, 2007 at 8:41 PM Post #172 of 191
Quote:

Originally Posted by Febs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of course, that assumes (a) that there IS a difference, and (b) that the difference isn't due to some other factor besides the cable.

If you all you do is replace a cable what other "factor" would there be?

All you have to do is listen...have you?

I went from Totem Sinew to Tara Labs the One. To my ears and in my system there was a very pleasurable difference.

(the last time I listened to the totem cables it was daytime and the first listen to the tara labs cables it was nighttime...would this be a night and day difference?)

Aug 30, 2007 at 8:49 PM Post #173 of 191
Quote:

Originally Posted by drarthurwells /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...17#post3237217

Interestingly, the article by Stereophile does mention cotton among dielectrics, but it doesn't indicate it is actually the best dielectric after air. Well, I must indicate that I've only read such claim about cotton a few times on different places online, not really 100% sure. In any case I was surprised when learning that, since for quite some time I had been under the impression that the best solid dielectric was teflon.

Quote:

Associated with the subjective performance of the cable dielectric is the insulating thickness, this often related to the manufacturer's voltage rating. Better sound often follows higher ratings. Solid dielectrics are common and include those plastics mentioned above, as well as higher-molecular-weight polymers, ceramic powder, silicone rubber, and resin-impregnated glass fiber. Natural thread such as cotton or silk has been tried, plus various grades of carbon-based rubber. Every dielectric can be shown to have its own distinctive sound, even when used in a line-level interconnect application of just 1m in length.

Some claims in that article definitely call for further supporting evidence though. For example, that last sentence: "every dielectric has its own distinctive sound."

PS. Gee I realize that's a new thread, should probably post this in that other thread.

Aug 30, 2007 at 9:25 PM Post #174 of 191
Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Er, as I have mentioned before the paper difference in DR between 16 bit audio and 24 bit audio is 25600% , does anyone think that 24 bit audio sounds 256 times better.

The point that your segment fails to address is whether any energy loss is consistent over the freq spectrum , if it is consistent then it is utterly irrelevant as you just turn the volume up a tad. Also the measurements shown do not show the actual energy loss over a run of speaker cable , this is the bottom line - how much energy is lost and where is it lost.

Sorry, provided as is. This IS what the article said, nothing more, nothing less.

They see those two points responsable for different performance in cables.

Compared to people that say there is NO difference between cables, 600 and 833% IS significant to nothing.
wink.gif
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

Aug 30, 2007 at 9:30 PM Post #175 of 191
Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, provided as is. This IS what the article said, nothing more, nothing less.

I guess since you absolutely refuse to provide a link, we'll just have to take your word for it.
rolleyes.gif

Aug 30, 2007 at 9:30 PM Post #176 of 191
Quote:

Wich factor is there other then the cable if that IS the only thing you change!
tongue.gif

The only thing i can think of is balance mismatch/dampingfactor.

I do recognize matching; i myself experienced quite a difference with the exact same cable on two different setups. On one it sounded really bad, on the other it sounded quite good. So, this could account for the balance mismatch.

Other then that, two exactly the same measuring cables of two different brands will sound different.

Aug 30, 2007 at 9:32 PM Post #177 of 191
Quote:

I guess since you absolutely refuse to provide a link, we'll just have to take your word for it.
rolleyes.gif

Nope, it isn't on the web anymore. It's an older article and the web changes frequently, as you know, new articles and stuff. So, the link i had is dead.

You can believe what you like. Some people even don't believe me with a link.
tongue.gif

Aug 30, 2007 at 9:34 PM Post #178 of 191
Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope, it isn't on the web anymore. It's an older article and the web changes frequently, as you know, new articles and stuff. So, the link i had is dead.

You can believe what you like. Some people even don't believe me with a link.
tongue.gif

What was the name of the author and the title of the article?

Aug 30, 2007 at 9:41 PM Post #180 of 191
Quote:

What was the name of the author and the title of the article?

Sorry can't remember. I stumbled across that article by accident and never bookmarked it. I just posted it in the cables thread at that time. Since then i wasn't able to find the article again. All i know(remember-several months ago), it's NOT an article from a cable manufacteror!

You can clearly see, that the writing is not of my hand.
cool.gif

The only thing that does things to frequency responce is the dampingfactor. probably wy matching cables is important and the "right" cable let you simply hear more?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back