Can you tell lossless from lossy with your portable setup?
Feb 12, 2009 at 12:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 147

Navyblue

Headphoneus Supremus
Just curious.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 12, 2009 at 12:52 PM Post #4 of 147
I have them, but I'm hard pressed to find differences most of the time. Once in a while I'll notice something, but my system generally doesn't have to synergy to bring the extra bit-rate to life.

I don't mind, storage space is cheap and it's always good to have lossless copies as a backup median at the very least.

Feb 12, 2009 at 1:01 PM Post #7 of 147
I don't have lossless on my DAP purely due to storage reasons. I cannot on my DAP tell the difference between Vorbis -q8 and lossless. Home setup = easier to tell the difference. Be aware though that there is very little difference but it's still can be noticed.

Vorbis > mp3 anyday.

Vorbis = true VBR unlike VBR mp3.

I only encode in -v0 mp3 via LAME only if OggDropXPd throws a hissy fit and refuses to convert the FLAC files which does happen from time to time.

Feb 12, 2009 at 1:17 PM Post #8 of 147
i use lossless wheneva i can because wether you can hear it obviously or not lossless holds more information than lossy, therfor i know im taking full advantage of the headphones and DAP i use.

ofcourse when space gets tight i make do with a good quality lossy setup but if i have plenty of spare room then lossless it is.

Feb 12, 2009 at 1:22 PM Post #9 of 147
I have lossless files in my DAP, because lossless sounds SOMETIMES better than high bitrate MP3/AAC to me.

However with mp3 @ 320kbps I am happy (if it is well ripped)

Feb 12, 2009 at 1:35 PM Post #10 of 147
aoTuV -q5 is transparent for me (with a pretty wide margin) as is LAME -V0 and 320 kbit CBR, so I don't see a point in having lossless on my DAP.

On my computer, however, I like to have as much as possible in lossless format. Not because it sounds better, but because hard drives are cheap, it's a good archive format, and it can easily be transcoded for different purposes in the future.

Feb 12, 2009 at 2:51 PM Post #11 of 147
I can tell the difference between lossless and the 256 AAC i use, but it's worth the sacrifice in quality (miniscule) for the quantity.

Feb 12, 2009 at 2:52 PM Post #12 of 147
320kbs is enough for me. No difference to my ears between that and a a flac.
I'd could probably go lower than the 320kbs to be fair.

Feb 12, 2009 at 3:07 PM Post #13 of 147
I can tell lossless from 320kbps on most tracks, although in all honesty I don't find it necessary to keep them on my portable. I'm walking around, doing homework, reading, or generally not paying close attention to detail, so why have it there?

Feb 12, 2009 at 3:21 PM Post #15 of 147
personally , i didnt even try to make a direct comparison. but losless sound good and i have the space for it (120 gb ipod)so why compromise?

i would also like to say...it doesn't matter (at least not for me) if you cant tell the difference, the only that matters is there IS a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back