Can you recommend a closed, portable/semi-portable headphone?
May 6, 2010 at 5:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

kcaccamise

New Head-Fier
I am sorry I’m sure this has been asked thousands of times before, and I assure you I have tried searching but either the threads were very old or didn’t provide quality info or maybe I just wasn’t looking correctly.

Anyway I am new to this world of high-end headphones and am looking to purchase a pair of headphones to use on my daily subway commute as well as while traveling. So I am looking for a closed set of cans that is portable, folds, or at least is durable that I won’t worry too much about stashing them in my bag while not in use.

Also I’d like to keep the price to under $175. So far I have gotten recommendations for the HD448, ATH-M50, and AH-D1001.

As a sub question since the audio source will be my iphone should I purchase an amp as well?

So what do you think?
And thanks in advance for your help.

May 6, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #3 of 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcaccamise /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...looking to purchase a pair of headphones to use on my daily subway commute as well as while traveling. So I am looking for a closed set of cans that is portable, folds, or at least is durable that I won’t worry too much about stashing them in my bag while not in use.

Also I’d like to keep the price to under $175. So far I have gotten recommendations for the HD448, ATH-M50, and AH-D1001.

I'd stay clear of the 1001 then.  It sounds fantastic with a nice low bass kick, but doesn't isolate well and doesn't fold.

May 6, 2010 at 9:32 PM Post #5 of 5
actually the hd25-1 II is supra-aural.  the ear pads will sit on the ear, rather than around.
but, these cans are reportedly the most durable headphones out there for your purposes.
every single part is user replaceable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back