Can you REALLY hear the difference?
Apr 19, 2009 at 6:45 AM Post #32 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by gregorio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Something a little strange is going on here as the bit rate for 24/48 is 2250kbps, whereas your screenshot says the bit rate is 1741kbps?

Because its encoded with Apple Lossless.
Compressing the audio data as much as possible = lower bitrate.

Apr 19, 2009 at 1:39 PM Post #33 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by DistortingJack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A .wav file IS lossless.

But it's enormous. As FLAC the 131MB file becomes 55MB.

edit: the 24bit one sounds slightly crisper to me but it's hard to pick any difference so i'm not voting. I had to use the upsampled version of the 16bit to make a proper comparison as my soundcard has much higher distortion at 96khz. The original 16bit file sounded better then the other two on my setup (ESW9 off Modded Audigy4).

Apr 19, 2009 at 2:29 PM Post #34 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The original 16bit file sounded better then the other two on my setup (ESW9 off Modded Audigy4).

Sweet irony
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 19, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #36 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the 24bit one sounds slightly crisper to me but it's hard to pick any difference so i'm not voting.

If I had to say anything, this is what I'd say also, but the differences are very minor. Seems like a tiny bit more air between the notes in the 24bit, but still can't decide if it's in my head or not so I'm not voting.

Apr 20, 2009 at 12:17 PM Post #37 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by GeoD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seems like a tiny bit more air between the notes in the 24bit, but still can't decide if it's in my head or not so I'm not voting.

That would be the politically correct option to maintain in head-fi, but is it really right?
On a PC, use foobar2000's ABX test for about 20 times. You mustn't know your results before the end of the test. Anything below 14/20 is a guess.
On a Mac, there isn't an ABX test I know of, but I did it this way: open both files on Quicktime player, let them play at the same time (as close as possible) and then press cmd+~ to swap from one file to the other. You can manufacture your own test through this. I couldn't hear a difference anyway, so I didn't have to.
Take into account that this song has very large amounts of ultrasonic material. If you can't really say it sounds BETTER without them, but that it sounds slightly different maybe, that counts as a No because the question is "a difference in Quality". If you can distinctly hear something as "more accurate" or "more real" then vote Yes.
I'm putting this on the first post as well.

Hope this helps you guys!

Apr 20, 2009 at 3:18 PM Post #38 of 46
Damn, didn't read the topic title, just voted on the poll. Sorry guys.

xx

Apr 20, 2009 at 4:00 PM Post #39 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's one of the worst recordings I've ever heard. Why this has been released in hi-rez is beyond me.

The stated «shedloads of ultra high-frequency energy» is a consequence of constant clipping and heavy distortion. The ultrasonic content is relatively modest, though, and -- for whoever might be sensitive to it -- certainly completely masked by the massive harmonic distortion.

Agreed, this song was just poorly poorly recorded.

Dave

Apr 20, 2009 at 6:03 PM Post #40 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by myinitialsaredac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed, this song was just poorly poorly recorded. Dave

Mr. DAC doesn't like angry music
frown.gif

Apr 20, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #42 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by DistortingJack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mr. DAC doesn't like angry music
frown.gif

You're really consistent in thinking that someone who considers this recording inadequate for a format comparison must be someone who doesn't like this sort of music. -- That's of course a possible way of handling the subject.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back