Can you just plug a USB audio dongle into an Android phone on the fly to listen to calls?
Nov 11, 2023 at 12:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Steve Dave

Head-Fier
I was just about to buy a new Android phone when I noticed it did not have a 3.5mm audio jack.
As I regularly use wired earphones to listen to calls in noisy environments, could anyone please tell me if after the phone starts ringing, is it possible to just plug the USB dongle with the earphones into the phone and answer the call?

Thanks.

Nov 11, 2023 at 2:57 AM Post #2 of 19
Why not just leave the dongle in and listen through the earphones when there is a call?
That's what I do at work, I never unplug the dongle from the phone 👍

Nov 11, 2023 at 11:23 AM Post #3 of 19
Why not just leave the dongle in and listen through the earphones when there is a call?
That's what I do at work, I never unplug the dongle from the phone 👍
Thanks for the reply.
I could definitely do that while sitting at my desk but I just thought that having the dongle plugged in when using the phone for other stuff or when it's in my pocket could put physical stress on the USB port causing it to fail prematurely.

Would be really grateful if someone who has done it themselves can give me a definite yes or no.
If it's a hard no I can move on to my second choice of phone which on the plus side is cheaper. :)

Thanks

Nov 11, 2023 at 1:11 PM Post #4 of 19
Thanks for the reply.
I could definitely do that while sitting at my desk but I just thought that having the dongle plugged in when using the phone for other stuff or when it's in my pocket could put physical stress on the USB port causing it to fail prematurely.

Would be really grateful if someone who has done it themselves can give me a definite yes or no.
If it's a hard no I can move on to my second choice of phone which on the plus side is cheaper. :)

Thanks
Just tested with my Pixel 7 Pro and Moondrop Dawn Pro, it works fine.
Was playing music and then made a call to the phone, unplugged the Dawn, and answered the call normally. No issues.

Nov 11, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #5 of 19
You should not have unplugged it. The other party on the phone could have enjoyed "music on hold."

:p

Nov 11, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #6 of 19
You should not have unplugged it. The other party on the phone could have enjoyed "music on hold."

:p
I don't dare to keep my GF on hold, even if it was all just a planned test 😁

Nov 12, 2023 at 5:15 PM Post #7 of 19
Just tested with my Pixel 7 Pro and Moondrop Dawn Pro, it works fine.
Was playing music and then made a call to the phone, unplugged the Dawn, and answered the call normally. No issues.
Thanks very much for going out of your way to test this for me but that's not exactly the scenario I was asking about.
What I do now with my current phone is; the phone rings, I unplug earphones from my DAP and plug them into the 3.5mm socket in the phone then answer the call so I can listen to the call via the earphones.

Basically what I'd like to know is if Android allows a USB audio dongle to be plugged in while the phone is ringing or while a call is in progress (on the fly) so I can listen to the call through earphones if I'm in a noisy environment?

Thanks

Nov 13, 2023 at 12:59 PM Post #8 of 19
Basically what I'd like to know is if Android allows a USB audio dongle to be plugged in while the phone is ringing or while a call is in progress (on the fly) so I can listen to the call through earphones if I'm in a noisy environment?
Ha ha, I read it the other way around, sorry. ( I have a 8 month old boy that is getting his teeth at the moment, so sleep is minimal)
Tested this as well, and it also works. Took a call without the dongle plugged in, then plugged it in, and sound was sent to the dongle/IEM'S.
So the conclusion is that the dongle works just as the 3.5mm would, you can plug/unplug it as you wish "on the fly".
At least in my setup.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2023 at 1:01 PM Post #9 of 19
Thanks very much for going out of your way to test this for me but that's not exactly the scenario I was asking about.
What I do now with my current phone is; the phone rings, I unplug earphones from my DAP and plug them into the 3.5mm socket in the phone then answer the call so I can listen to the call via the earphones.

Thanks

Why not just try it, get someone in the same room call you.

Nov 13, 2023 at 1:04 PM Post #10 of 19
Nov 14, 2023 at 12:36 AM Post #11 of 19
Yes. You can definitely plug the dongle with earphone AFTER getting a call. At that time, you are using Android's universal (up or down)sampling module. So there won't be any issue for you to pick up the call and start using your earphone on your dongle. When you are using the UAPP to listen to music and enable the USB exclusive driver to bypass the Android sampling module, you MAY get some issues. It MAY depend on your phone model. I've tested S23U and LG V60 without any issue in such situation, but cannot tell whether this is universally okay for every Android phone or not.

Nov 15, 2023 at 3:15 AM Post #12 of 19
Wow, thank you so much for testing it a 2nd time Lindholdt and I really appreciate the confirmation and info mmxshhfpl.
I feel a lot more comfortable about going jackless (so to speak).

Thanks again and congrats on the baby.:thumbsup:

Nov 15, 2023 at 3:27 AM Post #13 of 19
Why not just try it, get someone in the same room call you.
Yeah, my old Android phone no longer boots so I've had to recommission an 8 year old Windows phone out the tech junk drawer until I get a new one.
Also none of my friends either had or could find their adapter so had to rely on the damned helpful people of the forum.

Nov 15, 2023 at 1:21 PM Post #14 of 19
Wow, thank you so much for testing it a 2nd time Lindholdt and I really appreciate the confirmation and info mmxshhfpl.
I feel a lot more comfortable about going jackless (so to speak).

Thanks again and congrats on the baby.:thumbsup:
No problem, and thanks 👍
Good luck with the new gear 😊

Nov 15, 2023 at 6:22 PM Post #15 of 19
when using the phone for other stuff or when it's in my pocket could put physical stress on the USB port causing it to fail prematurely.
this is possible, you could get a bluetooth dongle such as one from the fiio BTR series, which you can used wired and bluetooth, so you could listen wired for superior SQ at the desk then use bluetooth on the go. also, they all have inbuilt mics for phone calls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back