Can you hear the difference?
Jan 1, 2013 at 7:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 113

xnor

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello,

here are three hi-res test files in the format 24/96 encoded as FLAC to save space. The files are all different.

edit: test closed

Please try to sort the files by audio quality, best first.
Feel free to describe the differences you heard.

Good luck.

Hint to those still doing the test: ignore the file sizes, frequency spectra etc. and also what other people wrote, just try to concentrate on hearing differences, if any.

Jan 1, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #2 of 113
I cannot.

Straight listening as well as ABXing A/B, A/C, and B/C, I cannot tell the difference

Guess my ears are run of the mill, if not worse :D

(Foobar using ASIO and ReplayGain --> DACport LX --> Corda Jazz --> Denon D7000)

Jan 1, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #3 of 113
Thanks for the honesty!

I'll wait for a couple more replies until I'll disclose the secret.

Jan 1, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #5 of 113
At least to my ears and my system, all 3 sound almost the same or the same, but I slightly prefer B, I thought it sounded less bright. But after listening listening to all 3 again and again and again, they start to sound the same.

Jan 2, 2013 at 2:04 AM Post #8 of 113
So what exactly is the difference that we're supposed to hear? the file sizes seem to be the same

Edit: Nope, no difference. 

Inverted phase on one track and the DAW shows no difference

Jan 2, 2013 at 2:40 AM Post #10 of 113
Seriously can't tell the difference even at very high volumes.

Jan 2, 2013 at 8:06 AM Post #13 of 113
Please don't post additional files.

Maybe in a further test we could do some loopback recordings. This test however, doesn't include A/D conversion, that much I can reveal.
tongue.gif

Hint to those still doing the test: ignore the file sizes, frequency spectra etc. and also what other people wrote, just try to concentrate on hearing differences, if any

Jan 2, 2013 at 8:31 AM Post #14 of 113
I would say from best to worst:  B > C > A.   B and C sound similar, but B had a more pronounced sound when hitting the instruments.  A had some misc sounds/static(?) near the beginning, which I would guess are artifacts.  I noticed a difference from the second I played B after playing A for the first time.  Although they all had noticable static with my homemade AKG K167 + Fiio E7.
I think it would be better with a longer sample?  Maybe 30 sec to a minute long.

Jan 2, 2013 at 9:07 AM Post #15 of 113
Quote:
Although they all had noticable static with my homemade AKG K167 + Fiio E7.

Doesn't the E7 (not the newer E07K) only support 48000 Hz/16-bit ? Did you compare the files blind, using an ABX comparator ?
If you really heard noise in a.flac that was not there in b.flac, you probably listened fairly loud
normal_smile%20.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back