Can you hear the difference (between lossy/lossless/uncompressed formats)?...My take
Aug 20, 2007 at 12:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 89

webbie64

Headphoneus Supremus
So many threads ask and analyse this question: "Can YOU hear the difference between various lossy compressed, lossless compressed and uncompressed formats?"

Engaging discussions have emerged in these previous threads and I appreciate all that I have gained from the various contributors.

The conclusions I gain from these more active, debated threads, though, is that I really have to take everything said with a significant dose of many grains of salt and simply 'bite the bullet', invest the time, and reach my own conclusions: for MY ears and MY equipment.

So, here goes...

Background: I was looking at the question mainly for my portable and transportable rigs, and for the purpose of archiving.

Equipment: Sony NW-HD5 or iRiver H140/120 (all with a very good quality line out) fed via a can'tsleep pure silver mini-2-mini into a well burned in RSA Hornet to Westone UM2s, OR
iRiver H140/120 (both with a very good quality optical out) fed via a Van Den Hul Optocoupler MKII mini-mini toslink cable to an AOS Piccolo DAC sent via VH Cryo Pulsars to a Stax SRD-XPro driving Sennheiser HE60s, Stax SR-001 MkIIs, Stax Lambdas or Stax Sigmas OR
iRiver H140/120 (both with a very good quality optical out) fed via a Van Den Hul Optocoupler MKII mini-mini toslink cable to a Optical/SPDIF converter to an Apuresound DAC-1 thence via Moon Audio Silver Dragons to either McAllister EA-4 or Woo Audio GES (both unmodded) to Sennheiser HE60s, Stax SR-001 MkIIs, Stax Lambdas and Stax Sigmas.

Note: The UM2 terminated rig is the portable rig which, in its lowest profile form is MP3 based (Sony DAP). The other are home-based rigs (Bed/transportable and Study). The iRiver sources can also be used with the home speaker-based rig but I heard sufficient consistent differences through the headphone-terminated rigs to post these comments.

The encoding: WAV, FLAC (Level 5 and Level 8), MP3 (320 CBR, 32-320 VBR, 224-320 ABR) all encoded via EAC. MP3 compressed via LAME 3.97.

The conclusions (i.e. MY take):
I come from a background that has included many forms of home analogue (vinyl, reel-to-reel tape, audio cassettes, etc) as well as the later digital sources. I therefore find that the available sizes of HDDs are more than sufficient to cope with the tracks from my collection that I want access to everywhere and anytime. As a result I am looking strictly at SQ. I want the absolute best I can get from my equipment and therefore want to feed at the absolute front end (i.e. the source files) the best sounding data.

So, from a pure SQ POV:
WAV is the standard. Well extracted via EAC the WAV provides the same audio data as the CD source. It sounds the same in all terms - Acoustical absorption, Audibility (of flaws), Detail, Distance, Frequency response - ENTIRE RANGE/BASS(Amount/Smoothness/Extension)/MIDRANGE/LOW & MID TREBLE/EXTREME TREBLE, Imaging, Noise, Realism, Soundstaging (WIDTH/CONTINUITY/DEPTH), Texture, Timbre, Transient response.

FLAC supports what others have written about the Lossless compressor - it unpacks identically to the WAV source file. As a result it is as good as WAV in SQ. I do NOT find it in any way brighter or changed from the original. This applies to both Level 5 and Level 8 compression. In terms of compression of choice, therefore, I do not have SQ as a determining factor but, rather, what has already been discussed elsewhere - Level 5 encodes and decodes faster, with less processing power VERSUS saved space from the extra compression allows extra tracks per HDD. I tend to agree with those who advocate Level 5. Although I agree the overall encoding time is unchanged if you encode to FLAC at the same time as extracting the next WAV, I find that the size savings are minimal for the amount of extra decoding processing power utilised. I have not done a solid comparison over an extended time on this (remember my review is all about SQ) but the extra 2-4MB saved per track provides me with one extra track per 5 or so tracks on a HDD that is not particularly full AND the battery power will never fully play the whole HDD regardless but will produce a similar reduction in battery resources over time (meaning potentially up to 1/5 less time per battery charge). I'll take the extra battery time over the extra available tracks. Your choice might be different to mine.

MP3. Aaah, MP3. Like VHS video cassettes I marvel at the way we as an overall human society embrace a technology that is less than the best because it's more accessible at a slightly earlier time. First to the mass market really does count :wink:.

I only look at this compressed format because it's usable across all of my equipment - all car & home players - plus is most readily accepted should I wish to share a track with a family member or friend. And, yes, I was an early adopter and have stuck with the format.

The three variations of compression have been chosen for solid reasons: 320CBR is, of course, considered the highest quality common format (although higher kbps are now possible, most players top out at 320 kbps). This is a simple compression yet potentially wasteful of HDD space for the level of data required. 32-320 VBR is meant to address the potential HDD wastage by encoding at the best compression level for each segment of data. Most of my players support it (one car player doesn't). 224-320 ABR is what I have used prior to this comparison as it seemed good enough and played on all of my players (including the car player that won't handle full VBR).

The conclusion, for me, is that the other two formats do NOT match 320 kbps CBR. Yes, I CAN hear differences - across multiple tracks on multiple rigs. Yes, the differences are consistent across the rigs (although the more revealing the rig, the more apparent the difference).

In comparison to 320 kbps I find voices to be slightly rougher with the other two variations. This is most apparent when comparing CBR to VBR (VBR definitely has a roughness - perhaps because it's choosing over such a wider range of bitrates? - ABR is definitely closer to CBR and my choice has been a much smaller bitrate range). In the mid-highs area the VBR and, to some extent, ABR variants are slightly cloudier, less defining of instrument/voice placement and, as a consequence, depth and soundstage. Not that any of them can get close to the depth and soundstage of the lossless or uncompressed formats. For instance, if a WAV/FLAC gets a rating of '10', then the MP3 compressions are rated 320 CBR = '7.50', 224-320 ABR = '7.40', 32-320 VBR = '7.15'.

In terms of SQ differences amongst the MP3s I believe most listeners would not be as finicky as me. Most could settle into the quite reasonable ABR and VBR versions for the considerable space saved (and therefore greater range of songs accessible on the relevant HDD). The differences ARE SMALL. They are much less than the differences between uncompressed/lossless and 320 kbps CBR. And, yes, for most tracks I might easily accept the small additional SQ compromise (of ABR) considering the compromise already accepted in listening to the MP3 version over the Lossless version.

But, in terms of strict A-B comparison, 320 kbps CBR is the better sounding and, for me, that difference is both noticeable and appreciated and, therefore, to me, worth it.

So my HDDs are being gradually reloaded with FLAC Level 5 and MP3 320 kbps CBR. Yes, the MP3 player will be much fuller with potentially less songs but, yes, for those who ask the question, the isolation afforded by my portable rig does make the difference worth it for me. (And this may well improve when I get some Livewires
smily_headphones1.gif
).

Obviously my overarching drive towards SQ is what drives my choices here. I've got the HDDs and HDD space to spare for the volume of collection I wish to transport with me. Your choices, and compromises, may well be different.

Thanks for reading. Hope this helps others. Happy Head-Fi-ing!

Aug 20, 2007 at 12:29 AM Post #2 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by webbie64 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The encoding: WAV, FLAC (Level 5 and Level 8), MP3 (320 CBR, 32-320 VBR, 224-320 ABR) all encoded via EAC. MP3 compressed via LAME 3.97.

Did you use the -V0 preset for "32-320 VBR"?

Aug 20, 2007 at 3:42 AM Post #3 of 89
Quote:

Level 5 encodes and decodes faster

That's not true; decoding (i.e. playback) speed does not depend on compression level.

Interesting writing otherwise
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 20, 2007 at 5:47 AM Post #4 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ahriman4891 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's not true; decoding (i.e. playback) speed does not depend on compression level.

Interesting writing otherwise
smily_headphones1.gif

You are correct. If it does effect speed it'd be in micro seconds, if that. What I meant to state was that decoding was less resource intensive than with Level 8.

Thanks for picking me up on that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Febs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you use the -V0 preset for "32-320 VBR"?

EAC uses Lame as an external encoder and the settings I used were VBR-New, VBR Quality 0, Quality q=0, Bitrate Min 32, Bitrate Max 320

Aug 20, 2007 at 5:55 AM Post #6 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lossless/uncompressed? What?

Lossless means just that, it doesn't lose any data...

EDIT: No ogg?

Yes, but there's a distinction between an uncompressed file (wav) and a compressed lossless file (flac)

Aug 20, 2007 at 6:37 AM Post #8 of 89
Quote:

You are correct. If it does effect speed it'd be in micro seconds, if that. What I meant to state was that decoding was less resource intensive than with Level 8.

Actually, in my professional experience of writing compression and decompression code, the more highly compressed data is, the faster it decompresses. I'm not sure how the FLAC method works exactly, but I don't think you can make any assumptions about one level decompressing more quickly than another unless you know the algorithm and have done some performance benchmarking with it.

As far as the argument over lossy vs. lossless, in my opinion (as stated in other threads on the topic here) is that the question is now moot, thanks to inexpensive hard drives that are much, much larger than they were 10 years ago, when the argument for lossy formats was more relevant. Further, the argument that lossless is pointless because some people cannot tell the difference between it and a lossy format in blind testing is moot as well, unless one assumes that in the future audio reproduction equipment will be of the exact same quality as it is at the time the comparisons were made. The argument about whether or not lossy compression of 44K audio is appropriate is settled for all but the stubborn and those who are not aware of alternatives.

Aug 20, 2007 at 10:49 AM Post #9 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, in my professional experience of writing compression and decompression code, the more highly compressed data is, the faster it decompresses. I'm not sure how the FLAC method works exactly, but I don't think you can make any assumptions about one level decompressing more quickly than another unless you know the algorithm and have done some performance benchmarking with it.

I've relied on other threads/postings, both here and elsewhere, that consistently record that the FLAC method is more resource intensive at both ends (compression and decompression).

The consistency of this information has led me to trust it - I'm really only into this for the quality of sound reproduction so performance benchmarking is only really worth investing my time in if there's no clear answer so far to a question for me (which I figure is partly the reason we engage in discussions/threads - to help each other save time in getting to the best outcomes!
biggrin.gif
)

Quote:

As far as the argument over lossy vs. lossless, in my opinion (as stated in other threads on the topic here) is that the question is now moot, thanks to inexpensive hard drives that are much, much larger than they were 10 years ago, when the argument for lossy formats was more relevant.

Agreed in principle. One of my DAPs, with the smallest form factor, doesn't play lossless - so lossy is still a part of my life. And, as is the strange character of society sometimes, technology has not focussed so much on giving us better quality but, rather, smaller and smaller players that have replaced the larger HDD solution with smaller flash-based memory that leads people to still use lossy codecs. When Flash based really expands in capacity, that'll be an interesting day for lossy vs lossless (will the general public move on from their embraced MP3 and WMA and, if so, what lossless codec will be embraced? Interesting times ahead when we get to easily affordable multi-gigabyte flash memory!
biggrin.gif
)

Quote:

Further, the argument that lossless is pointless because some people cannot tell the difference between it and a lossy format in blind testing is moot as well, unless one assumes that in the future audio reproduction equipment will be of the exact same quality as it is at the time the comparisons were made.

Agreed. For that and all the other reasons (we each trust our own ears and accept that others may hear differently).

Quote:

The argument about whether or not lossy compression of 44K audio is appropriate is settled for all but the stubborn and those who are not aware of alternatives.

Agreed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm surprised you like cbr over vbr. were you.

It's just what came out when I trusted my ears. Again, over time and different equipment. What's right for me, is right for me. We each need to make our own decisions/compromises.

(For instance another thread recently indicated the CBR 320 choice was warmer in sound and a VBR sacrificed warmth for soundstage. I didn't hear it that way but, obviosuly, others can).

Aug 20, 2007 at 5:56 PM Post #10 of 89
Quote:

(For instance another thread recently indicated the CBR 320 choice was warmer in sound and a VBR sacrificed warmth for soundstage. I didn't hear it that way but, obviosuly, others can).

Some people make things up.

See ya
Steve

Aug 20, 2007 at 6:20 PM Post #12 of 89
Webbie, you really need to post the exact command switches you are using. Your wording of what ABR/VBR settings you are using is incredibly vauge and many settings end up defaulting to one another. For example:

lame.c lines 562-563:

Code:

Code:
[left] if (gfp->VBR != vbr_off && gfp->brate >= 320) gfp->VBR = vbr_off; /* at 160 kbps (MPEG-2/2.5)/ 320 kbps (MPEG-1) only Free format or CBR are possible, no VBR */[/left]

Aug 20, 2007 at 6:34 PM Post #13 of 89
I believe the decoding of all flac levels is pretty much the same proceseeor wise..

http://flac.sourceforge.net/faq.html#general__asymmetry

It appears to confirm that the higher levels are better because the ENcoder spends more time looking for optimizations, while the DEcoder just decodes the one function.

Having said that , I use level 5, because it's fast and the tiny space savings of level 8 aren't enough to make me want to wait when Encoding. I'm impatient it seems.

Oh, and I've NEVER been able to tell the difference between FLAC and WAV on any hardware yet either.

Cloth ears, gotta love em
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 20, 2007 at 6:53 PM Post #14 of 89
Lossless files are compressed, a bit like Winrar.

With a Winrar'd file its transferred and archived smaller/compressed, but when its needed to be used, its extracted to its original size.

Lossless too are archived/stored at 60-70% of uncompressed usually. When called into use, they are extracted to full-size to play, but unlike Winrar, this
is temporary. They are re-compressed afterwards.

Interesting to know.

Aug 20, 2007 at 7:34 PM Post #15 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lossless files are compressed, a bit like Winrar.

With a Winrar'd file its transferred and archived smaller/compressed, but when its needed to be used, its extracted to its original size.

Lossless too are archived/stored at 60-70% of uncompressed usually. When called into use, they are extracted to full-size to play, but unlike Winrar, this
is temporary. They are re-compressed afterwards.

Interesting to know.

Is this what FLAC actually does? I was under the impression it decompresses to a buffer in memory like most other codecs instead of recreating the actual original file on the physical disc. It would make the whole flac vs. .wav "debate" completely moronic (as opposed to mostly).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back