Can you guys HELP me out? Such Indecision...
Jul 30, 2008 at 6:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Deadneddz

100+ Head-Fier
Ok, im planning on getting UE-11s this month and i want to amp them.

Ive read numerous reviews on the RSA Predator, IQUBE, and Graham Slee voyager.

The reviews have been really positive with all three, obviously making my decision on which one i want a nightmare haha.

All three have some things to consider:
The Predator needs a lengthy burn in, and is expensive!!
The IQUBE is really expensive also, but seems to perform well as in neutrality, transparency ect..
The Graham Slee Voyager seems to be a pretty good deal as it is the cheaper of the bunch, but im not sure of how it stacks up against the IQUBE and Predator. This member seemed to really love it in this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/upd...-added-237038/

Im so confused, i really want to know which one will be the best with my soon to be aquired UEs, considering the UE-11s are "more colored" compared to something more neutral like the UE-10s or AKG 701s full size headphone would it be best to go for an amp that is more neutral? UGGGGG IDK!!

Help me out guys, its much appreciated

Jul 30, 2008 at 11:54 AM Post #3 of 7
I've heard a well burned in Predator and it is a delight.

I decided not to keep buying all the upper end portables so I've not tried iQube and Voyager. IIRC Voyager comes in two different versions and some reviewers preferred the earlier version.

I tend to agree with you that if you know you've already got IEMs that are a bit 'coloured' then the neutral iQube might be the way to go. However the iQube also has issues from what I've read in terms of the ease of opening it.

To be brutally straight you really do need to try your new IEMs out with your shortlist - via meets, HeadFi-ers that'll loan you their equipment, etc. It really is the only way. (Yes, it can become expensive but no one else will hear what you're hearing the way you hear it - we don't have your ears, your musical SQ preferences/experiences, etc).

The other point I'd make is that the differences at the upper end of the SQ range in portable amps are not substantial - oh, you'll notice them, and certainly miss aspects if you have to settle for one amp when you remember what another did, but you can also easilly discover a preference for a certain amp with some music types and another for other music types.

Like I said, I haven't tried the Voyager or iQube. But if I were in your position I'd try those I could access, realising the Predator really needs to be burned in for you to get it's 'true' capabilities. BTW, Headphoneaddict and I have both indicated in threads we find a burned in Predator to be consistently giood with a rnage of headphones/IEMs.

In relation to the comment on the Mini3 I can confirm it is a small step behind such amps as the Predator, SR-71 and Supermicro IV. But it is more than enjoyable when I don't have access to those amps (as I haven't for the last week and a half whilst my better amps were down in Melbourne for a meet). So if money is an issue consider the Mini3 - but I'd suggest getting it with Panasonic Caps (that don't require the burn in of other options).

Good luck in finding what you are seeking.

Jul 30, 2008 at 3:08 PM Post #4 of 7
Buy a Headamp Pico. Everyone. Loves. It. A. LOT!

Edit: Seriously, its the bees knees according to everyone I've talked to.

Jul 30, 2008 at 3:29 PM Post #5 of 7
webbie64 is probably right. Best way would be to audition them yourself, if you can. Still, overall, the differences would be fairly minute, I would imagine. There comes a point, whether you can or can't audition them yourself, that you kind of have to bite the bullet and not let yourself get all caught up in analysis paralysis. ^_^

Jul 31, 2008 at 4:09 AM Post #7 of 7
Its strange everyone loves the predator even with the UE-11s. I just dont understand how they can have good synergy. I mean the predator is not really that neutral right? And the UE's are on the "colored side". What do you guys think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back