Can you graph sound stage?
Nov 29, 2021 at 6:00 PM Post #61 of 78
tag, you're it.

Nov 29, 2021 at 8:06 PM Post #63 of 78
You're just jealous.

Nov 30, 2021 at 12:11 AM Post #64 of 78
My interest in sound science always turns to disappointment when the threads devolve into juvenile back and forth baiting.

Nov 30, 2021 at 12:12 AM Post #65 of 78
Me too. It seems I'm a lightning rod for people who can't control themselves. I've been trying to find a way to get them to just ignore me and move on to things that interest them for years with no luck. They feel the need to respond to everything I say... always hyper emotionally.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2021 at 12:31 AM Post #66 of 78
I don’t know you well enough to know if you’re being tongue in cheek.

Nov 30, 2021 at 12:47 AM Post #67 of 78
This makes my 4,852th post here. I've been here for 17 years. I'm always me. You've had plenty of time to figure me out.

This is an internet thing. It isn't me. I talk about subjects and it turns into personal grudges against me.

If someone doesn't want to hear what I have to say, just block me and don't respond to my posts. Don't attack me if I don't validate you. That just leads to pointless back and forth.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2021 at 5:33 AM Post #68 of 78
This makes my 4,852th post here.
You have that many likes, some of them given by me because some stuff you write is on point (when it is not about speakers vs headphones, but something else such as 16 bit versus 24 bit). Your post count is much higher, over 23 thousand!

I've been here for 17 years. I'm always me. You've had plenty of time to figure me out.
I have been here for much less time than that, but I have figured you out to a degree.

This is an internet thing. It isn't me. I talk about subjects and it turns into personal grudges against me.
Some of your condescending views about headphones are the "problem" for me. Otherwise I have no grudges. As I mentioned above, your "CD quality is enough" stuff for example is on point and fully supported by me. Anyway, this is an internet thing. You are right about that. I have had tons of problems on internet forums over the years, especially if it is about politics! Luckily politics is not allowed here, so I don't have that problem here.

If someone doesn't want to hear what I have to say, just block me and don't respond to my posts. Don't attack me if I don't validate you. That just leads to pointless back and forth.
You are not a toxic person who needs to be blocked. If you are here to do monologues then maybe I just don't respond to your posts. I am here to have a discussion. That's the idea of a discussion board, I believe.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2021 at 5:46 AM Post #69 of 78
Me too. It seems I'm a lightning rod for people who can't control themselves. I've been trying to find a way to get them to just ignore me and move on to things that interest them for years with no luck. They feel the need to respond to everything I say... always hyper emotionally.
Staying offline is the best way to be ignored. You are not a lightning rod. You are in a place where people respond to each other's posts, so don't be surprised if they do.

Occationally I display emotion in my posts because I am a person with emotions, but "always hyper emotional?" I don't think so.

Nov 30, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #70 of 78
PLEASE stop responding to me. I don't want to live rent free in your head.

Dec 2, 2021 at 5:07 PM Post #71 of 78
I attempted to do an informal meta-analysis, as best I could on a Saturday afternoon with a few cold beers and a ballgame playing in the background, of what headphone wearers typically identify as being "soundstage". Generally it appeared that the consensus for the largest "soundstage" correlated primarily with a frequency response that measured relatively flat from 100-1000 Hz.

Try it, yourself. Pick a headphone that is popular for having a great "soundstage" and check the FR graph.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/innerfidelity-headphone-measurements

Dec 2, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #72 of 78
Interesting. Did that apply equally to open and closed cans?

Dec 3, 2021 at 1:34 AM Post #74 of 78
Both, but it was far from scientific; though, probably more rigorous than whatever Fauci and the CDC appear to follow.
Please don't drag politics with science or medicine (which still is based on scientific studies: COVID studies moves at a warp speed compared to your sound science studies). I'm kind of skeptical about FR measurement and soundstage. Audeze headphones for example are flat from 100-1KHZ, yet I have seen folks say they have a small sound stage. I don't know how much of it is measurement: IE direct measurements vs off placement reflecting off the outer ear. I know off axis measurement is a common concern with speaker design (how much sound should be focused vs diffused). It's less so with headphones, and they have their own attributes for HRTF.

Jan 8, 2022 at 12:21 PM Post #75 of 78
I attempted to do an informal meta-analysis, as best I could on a Saturday afternoon with a few cold beers and a ballgame playing in the background, of what headphone wearers typically identify as being "soundstage". Generally it appeared that the consensus for the largest "soundstage" correlated primarily with a frequency response that measured relatively flat from 100-1000 Hz.

Try it, yourself. Pick a headphone that is popular for having a great "soundstage" and check the FR graph.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/innerfidelity-headphone-measurements
TA Oracle Flat 200-1Khz (has sub bass shelf, but lacks actual impact without EQ so theres not much mid bass masking).
Solaris SE: Flat 10-1khz

Out of the IEM's I own, the Oracle has an almost artificially wide sound stage compared to the "intimate" Andro Gold (vocals are very close, but not "in your head" dead center image ie. Behind your eye balls/sinus). The Solaris SE have "3d sound stage" but personally I find them to be very "diffuse" with certain elements of a mix "far" away, perhaps more so than I'd like them to be but it's always interesting (certain things sound far away when I'd rather them be "at the ear" like a traditional IEM "sound stage "). I have never found a headphone to project forward or backward (depth), only exhibit good separation with relatively closed-in staging that may be expressed as "layering". I assume this "technicality" of an IEM or headphone leads subjective reviewers to assign "depth" to any given can. Obviously binaural recordings do a great job at tricking our brains into all sorts of spatial cues that existed in the recording room, but a stereo mix where people try to nail down these concepts is not it.

Going back to back on IU's Lilac...
Listening on the Oracle there's backtrack vocals that are almost an up close ASMR whisper (as if it were a binaural rig she whispered in both "ears" and then post processing lined them up at the same time). When listening on the Andro Gold's those same vocals are just "heard" as being distinctly L/R, but in no way the same artificially wide, or jarring, ASMR whisper in both ears.

I don't have my Solaris SE for 3 way comparison as they're at CFA for MMCX connector repair.

The Oracles I bought for their alleged timbre excellence but not my go to by any means, I love bass (see: Legend X).

All parentheticals are included for subjective terms. I believe the purpose of OP's post was looking to discover if anyone had prior knowledge or better research skills behind the idea of IEM/headphone tuning whereby particular FR energies are better suited to tricking our brains. I don't believe the purpose was to offtrack it into Atmos/DSP/2 channel/5.1/7.1/100000.1 channel comparisons involving room acoustics.

After 5 pages of reading, this post offered "meta analysis" as the only headphones specific FR suggestion given a standard recording. I believe most headphone users can agree there exists different gear that can offer degrees of "sound stage" (vs 3 blob effect) but most of none of the responses addressed forward or reversed masking, pinna gain, or tuning engineering specifically toward frequency responses that have been identified to trick our brains.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back