Can you demagnetize a headphone driver? Koss Portapro problem
Jun 29, 2011 at 7:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

LizardKing1

Headphoneus Supremus
Ok normally I don't act like a cheerleader in a low-budget horror movie, but that's how concerned I am. I have owned a pair of Koss PortaPro for some time now, they were the first pair of headphones I put some thought into buying. They were the first thing I ever tried in terms of DIY (recabled, not much of a difference).

I have the drivers separated from their original headband, and today accidentally they came in contact. Basically the back of one of the drivers sticked to the other. I was fearing the membrane had been damaged, but it seems fine, not a scratch. However, I am like the Aztec looking at the sun and sacrificing his neghbours to it so it doesn't go away for ever: I don't know pretty much anything practical about electromagnetism, and I'm afraid that this contact between the 2 drivers would ruin one or both. I can't try them right now, and I'm obsessisve enough to think they might be a bit damaged even if they sound fine. I read on Hydrogenaudio that a headphone driver's magnet is in a very strong magnetic field, and you would need a very powerful magnet to demagnetize it - well another headphone driver would logically be strong enough, I guess. So, can something like this demagnetize a driver's magnet?

PS: By the way, what I'm doing trying to mod them into something I have never seen on Head-Fi, although I imagine some have done it - transplant it into a closed portable structure of the cheapos I bought for 13€ (very cheap, for those who don't mess with  €). I would actually enjoy some feedback, has anyone ever tried the PortaPros in a closed structure? besides soundstage, was there any trade-off?

Jun 30, 2011 at 3:13 AM Post #3 of 4
What Uncle Erik said.

Older headphone(using ferromagnets) way back might become demagnetized over time, but most headphones today even the cheapest ones use neodymium magnets that will probably stay magnetized long after you are dead.

Jun 30, 2011 at 6:29 AM Post #4 of 4
atsmile.gif
Off I go then. Thank you, I'll post my results when I have this thing finished.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back