Can you "blow" IEMs?
Jan 13, 2009 at 6:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Q-Tip-81

Head-Fier
I know this may seem like a silly question to many of you, but I've been wondering about this for a while.

I recently purchased some ne-7's and have been pretty happy with the purchase until the past 2 days. I've begun to notice something strange. Instead of the bass being solid, clean, and almost 'thick' like in the first week or so of my listening experience....I notice that the bass is thin and weak now. Not only that though, whenever there should be a nice bass hit, I now get distortion and almost the "blown" feel, similar to full size speakers.

Is this just me adjusting to the IEMs and them burning in, or is there something wrong with them? Should I send them back?

I know for a fact I'm getting a good seal with the foams.

Thanks guys

Jan 13, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Q-Tip-81 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know this may seem like a silly question to many of you, but I've been wondering about this for a while.

I recently purchased some ne-7's and have been pretty happy with the purchase until the past 2 days. I've begun to notice something strange. Instead of the bass being solid, clean, and almost 'thick' like in the first week or so of my listening experience....I notice that the bass is thin and weak now. Not only that though, whenever there should be a nice bass hit, I now get distortion and almost the "blown" feel, similar to full size speakers.

Is this just me adjusting to the IEMs and them burning in, or is there something wrong with them? Should I send them back?

Thanks guys

i havnt looked into the nuforce IEM's at all, are they dynamic driver or balanced armature phones??

anyhow i think you should deffinately get a replacement, if they are dynamic driver then its most likely blown as these dont seem to be as resistant to high volume as armatures. and what you describe is definate symptoms of a damaged driver.

if you want an example then take a set of ibuds, turn up the bass on your mp3 player and give them some real juice, they will tear themselves apart withing 5 mins and you will see cheap dynamic driver phones dont last long at all.

however all speakers are the same, too much is too much and too much bass playing through a single driver earphone is going to create distortion, this is why multi driver phones are so well received, they just dont seem to distort. only high quality dynamic drivers will resist this somehow, some sort of wizardry i assume, you will find it more difficult to make the IE8 distort for example. who knows why
confused_face_2.gif
stronger materials used i assume.

anyway, cutting a long story short, they are blown dude, get some replacements and turn your bass down next time because it sounds like you went a bit sub tones happy to me
ksc75smile.gif

Jan 13, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #3 of 12
I'm also asking because my laptop volume can go about 100x higher than any recommended listening volume.

My sister randomly uses my laptop while I'm back from college, and I'm guessing she plugged my IEM's into my laptop while the volume was at about 90%. I listen to the ne-7's at about 6%. I had put my headphones into the case before I left, when I came back they were plugged in.

Jan 13, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i havnt looked into the nuforce IEM's at all, are they dynamic driver or balanced armature phones??

anyhow i think you should deffinately get a replacement, if they are dynamic driver then its most likely blown as these dont seem to be as resistant to high volume as armatures. and what you describe is definate symptoms of a damaged driver.

if you want an example then take a set of ibuds, turn up the bass on your mp3 player and give them some real juice, they will tear themselves apart withing 5 mins and you will see cheap dynamic driver phones dont last long at all.

however all speakers are the same, too much is too much and too much bass playing through a single driver earphone is going to create distortion, this is why multi driver phones are so well received, they just dont seem to distort. only high quality dynamic drivers will resist this somehow, some sort of wizardry i assume, you will find it more difficult to make the IE8 distort for example. who knows why
confused_face_2.gif
stronger materials used i assume.

anyway, cutting a long story short, they are blown dude, get some replacements and turn your bass down next time because it sounds like you went a bit sub tones happy to me
ksc75smile.gif

Thanks man....but I'm blaming it on my sister.
beerchug.gif

Jan 13, 2009 at 6:29 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Q-Tip-81 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks man....but I'm blaming it on my sister.
beerchug.gif

yeh man, although i do think they are blown, i think she must have tweaked the bass to the maximum, either that or she was really pumping out the volume for some time.

anyway, best of luck.

Jan 13, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #7 of 12
I doubt you can return it if you caused it to get damaged knowingly or unknowingly. If you want to get it repaired that's another story.

NuForce-icon.com has all the information you need to send it in.

Sep 14, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #9 of 12
  What about a BA, can you blow them?

If you put too much voltage through any driver, you can damage them.  Each driver is designed to withstand a different amount.  More sensitive/less resistant drivers tend have a lower tolerance. 

Feb 6, 2019 at 12:08 PM Post #10 of 12
Hi I got some iBasso IT01 and had a similar occurrence. Specifically I have an Ear Studios ES100 and I accidentally pushed the volume all the way up (both digital and analog was max with 1x current) and pushed play. Completely distorted and was 5 seconds before I realized what was happening. Now highs and mids seem OK but with more complex music bass seems distorted. But I do not know these IEM well so not sure what to do. I can return them to Amazon and just get another pair to be safe but I wanted some input...

Feb 6, 2019 at 12:14 PM Post #11 of 12

Thanks guys

It is possible to blow/burn out a driver in IEMs but not typical for both ears to go at the same time.
CTM Team

Users who are viewing this thread

Back