Can with similar sound signature to the ER - 4p?
May 4, 2009 at 6:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

allbald

New Head-Fier
As the title states. I prefer crystal clear clarity and tight bass (emphasized or muddy bass is a bit annoying. Which cans would you suggest.. I am thinking the following:

1) AKG 701/702
2) Denon D2000
3) Grado RS1 (not sure about others)

Overall, neutrality is important to me (when I first got the ER 4Ps many years ago those were considered the most neutral). I would like something a bit more comfortable than an IEM without sacrificing neutrality and crystal clarity.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

May 4, 2009 at 7:46 AM Post #2 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by allbald /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As the title states. I prefer crystal clear clarity and tight bass (emphasized or muddy bass is a bit annoying. Which cans would you suggest.. I am thinking the following:

1) AKG 701/702
2) Denon D2000
3) Grado RS1 (not sure about others)

Overall, neutrality is important to me (when I first got the ER 4Ps many years ago those were considered the most neutral). I would like something a bit more comfortable than an IEM without sacrificing neutrality and crystal clarity.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

If neutrality is important to you, remove the RS1 from your list. If you are looking for tight bass, remove the D2000 from your list.

And what's "more comfortable" than an IEM is not something anyone can answer. The comfort of headphones and IEMs are totally incomparable. Plus when properly fitted, the comfort of the ER4p would be near perfect, so I'll like to know if you were having some issues with the ER4p's comfort. Anyway you should add the SA5000 into your list of considerations.

May 4, 2009 at 1:08 PM Post #3 of 16
K701 would be the closest thing to neutral from a FS dynamic headphone. Other, and in my opinion better, alternatives would be the K1000 or look into Electrostats.

May 4, 2009 at 6:07 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If neutrality is important to you, remove the RS1 from your list. If you are looking for tight bass, remove the D2000 from your list.

And what's "more comfortable" than an IEM is not something anyone can answer. The comfort of headphones and IEMs are totally incomparable. Plus when properly fitted, the comfort of the ER4p would be near perfect, so I'll like to know if you were having some issues with the ER4p's comfort. Anyway you should add the SA5000 into your list of considerations.

Actually, the ER 4P was lost on the plane. I replaced this with a Shure ER4 (I think that was the model at the time) and never liked it and personally felt it was muddy and veiled.

I recently purchased a PFE Phonak with the mic option but this has issues listening out of my computer and audio outs at the cardio machines (I have to keep the mic button depressed to get audio out of both channels).

Anyways, I wanted to add a high sound quality headphone to the mix (I might still go back get another Ety ER 4p).

Wow, I am surprised Sony still has a good phone.

May 4, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The answer to this question is definitely the Sony SA5000

I have the K701 by the way and its also a very good headphone, but the Sony SA5000 sound remarkably like the ER4P except they are a lot better.

So far the list seems to be:

1) AKG 701
2) Sony SA5000
3) Beyer DT48 (not sure where these would be bought)

Would all of these be considered neutral? Or do they suffer colorations? I will search the forum but what prices do these go for (other than the AKG -- the others are not carried at headroom.

Which electrostats would you suggests and would they be in the running without an amp?

Thinking about getting the Music Fidelity XCAN v8 for home and some sort of portable amp for road use. Any suggested combos (probabyl wrong forum).

Thanks again folks.

May 4, 2009 at 6:29 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

So far the list seems to be:

1) AKG 701
2) Sony SA5000
3) Beyer DT48 (not sure where these would be bought)

Would all of these be considered neutral? Or do they suffer colorations? I will search the forum but what prices do these go for (other than the AKG -- the others are not carried at headroom.

Which electrostats would you suggests and would they be in the running without an amp?

Thinking about getting the Music Fidelity XCAN v8 for home and some sort of portable amp for road use. Any suggested combos (probabyl wrong forum).

Thanks again folks.

B&H video or used online.. The DT48 has a flat response.. & is neutral to a fault. The CD900ST is also very good in the neutrality department.. The AKG 701 are pretty neutral for audiophile headphones, but not in the class of the DT48/CD900ST in terms of Neutrality. The SA5000 resembles the DT48 in many areas, just not as neutral.

May 4, 2009 at 8:36 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Electrostats require an amp and they usually arent portable in the same sense as dynamics so that may knock them out for you.

As far as what type of electrostat, besides the older Lambdas theres the Koss ESP-950 which is very neutral. It runs about $600, closer to $400 if used and in good condition, and includes a carry case and the energizer plus a battery pack so it can be used without an outlet. The primary downsides with it are the build quality, which is an all plastic frame [its not the fact that its plastic but that it feels a bit chintzy], though it does have a no questions asked lifetime warranty, and its power supply is the often cited main weakness holding it back performance wise. All the same the stock unit does perform quite well.

May 4, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #11 of 16
There's been a thousand of these threads, and I don't think I've ever seen a definitive answer, though 'stats come the closest in my book. I can't stand the SA5K highs (which the ER4P/S does so well) so would knock those off the list immediately, though I could see a connection based on detail. Really I suppose it depends what you enjoy most about the Etys.

And I'm not exactly sure the Etys are neutral, but I get that's the common description.

May 4, 2009 at 9:29 PM Post #12 of 16
The closest to the ER4 sound I've been with full size cans is the Koss A/250

May 4, 2009 at 9:44 PM Post #13 of 16
I followed your path from the Etys (4s). I went to the 701s and RS-1s. Of the two, the 701s will amaze you with soundstage and are almost as neutral, but neither do what the Etys do.

May 4, 2009 at 11:34 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I followed your path from the Etys (4s). I went to the 701s and RS-1s. Of the two, the 701s will amaze you with soundstage and are almost as neutral, but neither do what the Etys do.

I think that's my fear as well. I want very detailed highs but not necessarily sibilance obviously. Fortunately, the 701s are not too pricey -- looks like the SA5000s go for about $100 more than the 701s.

Not sure how the beyer's compare -- need to read about them more as well. The poster earlier seems to think its the most neutral.

May 5, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

I think that's my fear as well. I want very detailed highs but not necessarily sibilance obviously. Fortunately, the 701s are not too pricey -- looks like the SA5000s go for about $100 more than the 701s.

Not sure how the beyer's compare -- need to read about them more as well. The poster earlier seems to think its the most neutral.

Yes, they have a flat response throught out the audio range. Have you really heard neutral cans before? Dead neutral. They sound different from other headphones until your ears adjust to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back