Can we talk about Bluetooth IEMs?
Dec 17, 2014 at 1:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Hesthrim

New Head-Fier
I've seen a lot of threads started trying to compare and discuss Bluetooth IEMs, but very little review information on Head-Fi or other well-regarded audio sites.

I'm shopping for a pair of BT IEMs whose primary function will be usage while working out (90% of this will be running). The budget is ~$100 - $150USD, but flexible if the right pair comes along.  Because a lot of the recommended models have little to no info, I'd appreciate any input anyone might have.

The source will be several Android devices (htc One X running CM11 M12, Torched kernel; Sony SW3; Asus Nexus 7 2012) as well as a FiiO X3.

Here are the models under consideration currently:

JBL Synchros Reflect BT - $89.95USD - BT4.0, no mention of aptX support.

Sony SBH80 - $141.95CAD - BT4.0, aptX support

Jaybirds Bluebuds X - $169.95USD - BT2.1+EDR , support for their proprietary "Signal Plus" system (Sounds like a codec).

... And any other recommendations that can be provided.  Many thanks for all the help!

Jan 6, 2015 at 8:34 AM Post #3 of 14
I own the Plantronics Back Beat Go 2 and while the sound quality is good I can't recommend them for running or any type of exercise. The little plastic arc meant to help keep them on your ear is borderline useless, at least to my ears and if you start to sweat it becomes nearly hopeless.

The cord, since it's flat instead of being round and thin it makes it easy for you to nudge and loosen the earbuds when you're doing certain exercises and when that happens, like with most IEMs, you lose significant sound quality and it goes from decent to non-Sennheiser $10 earbuds sounding. Of course this is only useful advice if you want to do any type of active lifestyle with them, but in my opinion, if you want a wireless, tangle-free headphone, convenience is at least part of the reason why you are making that purchase, and the Plantronics are not as convenient as I hoped they would be.

The place where they'd be the most useful to me would be in the gym, but they aren't. I just wanted to share that since I didn't see anyone mentioning these issues previously because, as you mentioned, there aren't many if any in-depth reviews of most bluetooth headphones.

With that said, I ordered the SBH80 yesterday which I've seen highly recommended in a few places, supposedly have commendable sound-quality and don't suffer from the same issues while exercising/working out. I can't  recommend them yet as I haven't obviously tried them for myself, but they seem to be the one of the better options, if not the best, option in the market.

Jan 6, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #4 of 14
  I own the Plantronics Back Beat Go 2 and while the sound quality is good I can't recommend them for running or any type of exercise. The little plastic arc meant to help keep them on your ear is borderline useless, at least to my ears and if you start to sweat it becomes nearly hopeless.

The cord, since it's flat instead of being round and thin it makes it easy for you to nudge and loosen the earbuds when you're doing certain exercises and when that happens, like with most IEMs, you lose significant sound quality and it goes from decent to non-Sennheiser $10 earbuds sounding. Of course this is only useful advice if you want to do any type of active lifestyle with them, but in my opinion, if you want a wireless, tangle-free headphone, convenience is at least part of the reason why you are making that purchase, and the Plantronics are not as convenient as I hoped they would be.

The place where they'd be the most useful to me would be in the gym, but they aren't. I just wanted to share that since I didn't see anyone mentioning these issues previously because, as you mentioned, there aren't many if any in-depth reviews of most bluetooth headphones.

With that said, I ordered the SBH80 yesterday which I've seen highly recommended in a few places, supposedly have commendable sound-quality and don't suffer from the same issues while exercising/working out. I can't  recommend them yet as I haven't obviously tried them for myself, but they seem to be the one of the better options, if not the best, option in the market.

Yay. Personally speaking, I think SBH80 is the best bluetooth IEM(excluding Z5 with the bluetooth cable and few bluetooth cabled CIEMs).

Jan 9, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #5 of 14
  Yay. Personally speaking, I think SBH80 is the best bluetooth IEM(excluding Z5 with the bluetooth cable and few bluetooth cabled CIEMs).

I just received my SBH80. Wow.

I was not expecting such a big difference when compared to the Plantronics and I'm pairing it to an iPhone 5, I'm not even using the APT-X codec. I haven't tested how they hold up during a gym workout but I'll try that in a couple of hours, but right now, in terms of sound quality fit and comfort they are excellent.

In a very short and non-scientific manner the difference between the SBH80 and the Plantronics Backbeat Go 2 is that when I tried the Plantronics I thought to myself: "These aren't bad for wireless headphones, I could live with this sound quality." And I did, I bought them, and if they didn't want to jump out of my ears and flee for their lives every time I worked out I might have kept using them.

When I turned on the SBH80 and listened I thought to myself: "Wow, these sound good!" not good despite the compromises, just good. They sound clearer,  more detailed, to my ears, and vocals sound noticeably more natural.

Jan 9, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #6 of 14

I just received my SBH80. Wow.

I was not expecting such a big difference when compared to the Plantronics and I'm pairing it to an iPhone 5, I'm not even using the APT-X codec. I haven't tested how they hold up during a gym workout but I'll try that in a couple of hours, but right now, in terms of sound quality fit and comfort they are excellent.

In a very short and non-scientific manner the difference between the SBH80 and the Plantronics Backbeat Go 2 is that when I tried the Plantronics I thought to myself: "These aren't bad for wireless headphones, I could live with this sound quality." And I did, I bought them, and if they didn't want to jump out of my ears and flee for their lives every time I worked out I might have kept using them.

When I turned on the SBH80 and listened I thought to myself: "Wow, these sound good!" not good despite the compromises, just good. They sound clearer,  more detailed, to my ears, and vocals sound noticeably more natural.

Great. I love the SBH80 too.

Sep 12, 2015 at 11:38 PM Post #10 of 14
Is there any Bluetooth IEM that can also use a wired connection? There's many Bluetooth headphones that can be used wired, why not IEMs? I feel like it's a real shame because with a wired connection the driver can be used to its real potential without any DSP effects or artifacts introduced in Bluetooth. Although sometimes headphones sound better with a built-in DSP like for active noise cancellation on the Bose QC25. 

Sep 17, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #11 of 14
  Is there any Bluetooth IEM that can also use a wired connection? There's many Bluetooth headphones that can be used wired, why not IEMs? I feel like it's a real shame because with a wired connection the driver can be used to its real potential without any DSP effects or artifacts introduced in Bluetooth. Although sometimes headphones sound better with a built-in DSP like for active noise cancellation on the Bose QC25. 

Phiaton BT100. I have one, and it's awesome. You can use NC while wired too.

Sep 17, 2015 at 9:37 PM Post #12 of 14
Yes this is pretty much what I mean, though the BT100 does seem rather bulky and not portable. Is the audio quality better wired or BT, and NC on or off?

I hope someone can make an IEM like the Jaybirds with a cabled option.

Sep 17, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #13 of 14
  Yes this is pretty much what I mean, though the BT100 does seem rather bulky and not portable. Is the audio quality better wired or BT, and NC on or off?

I hope someone can make an IEM like the Jaybirds with a cabled option.

Well, those behind the neck iems are supposed to be around your neck the whole time. It's interesting. People outside of Korea don't seem to get it. It became a huge thing in Korea. It's really comfortable around your neck, so you keep them on your neck. You get call notifications on your iem with a vibration, and it's like a really comfortable and easy to use. So the portability really isn't an issue. They were not designed to be placed in pockets.

But it does sound better with NC off(unless you're in a plane or something. The NC is awesome and blocking out those noise. Though NC doesn't degrade the sound by that much. Like 5%, I say). In terms of wired vs BT, it's pretty close.

Sep 27, 2015 at 3:45 PM Post #14 of 14
  Well, those behind the neck iems are supposed to be around your neck the whole time. It's interesting. People outside of Korea don't seem to get it. It became a huge thing in Korea. It's really comfortable around your neck, so you keep them on your neck. You get call notifications on your iem with a vibration, and it's like a really comfortable and easy to use. So the portability really isn't an issue. They were not designed to be placed in pockets.

But it does sound better with NC off(unless you're in a plane or something. The NC is awesome and blocking out those noise. Though NC doesn't degrade the sound by that much. Like 5%, I say). In terms of wired vs BT, it's pretty close.

Well that's good, as on the Bose QC25 NC sounds better than with it turned off.

It's not that I think the neck band is a bad idea (if you want the haptic feedback etc), but I prefer a "traditional" IEM that can be compacted in pockets or a case. Audio-Technica also has a similar IEM to the Phation but reviews aren't so good.

What I'm hoping for is something like the Jaybirds but with an extension cable to plug in for wired use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back