Can we setup our own paypal alternative for head-fi?
Oct 18, 2006 at 12:10 AM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff
Some people don't have a CC because of various reasons...

I'm too young to have a CC, for example.

Likewise.

I use my friend's paypal account but not for long as he's probably irritated already.
tongue.gif

My bad, Ben. My bad.
blink.gif

Oct 18, 2006 at 1:51 AM Post #17 of 24
I would like to use PayPal but, as you can see, it's not available for Panama. This greatly limits my internet buying oportnities. There are a number of internet buying serivces here but they charge a premium and take a lot of time to bring stuff. Besides, you can't have personal communication with the seller when buying something on eBay/Head-Fi. So, all I can say is, if you guys are going to make a Head-Fi payment service, be sure to include Panama.
wink.gif

Oct 18, 2006 at 2:03 AM Post #19 of 24
anyone who wants to wiretransfer account to account when dealing with me is welcome to provided they pay fees. i will even put up with the 45 minutes of my time it takes me to do that worthlesness.

the last time i wire-transfered, it was for a $1200 item, and the actual transfer cost $38. 3% for paypal dosnt sound so bad now does it? amazingly the same as the bank's wire transfer. factor in time, and it actually costs more to wire-transfer...

bonus round of paypal, you have SOME leeway with getting your money back. you wire someone money, all you have is proof that you wired them money.... if you want it back, YOU are going to the police, and praying that they can help you out.

Oct 19, 2006 at 8:03 PM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod
factor in time, and it actually costs more to wire-transfer...

Actually in Germany, wire transfer is free and everybody does it all the time. There are no personal checks. It's actually getting to be pretty easy to transfer cash all around the EU. I pay most everything instantly online whenever I want without paying any fees. It's one of the only infrastructural things in which this country is ahead of the US.

You can imagine this really eats into the amount of money paypal gets to make around here. Wire transfers can even be canceled for something like a month after you make them, so they're passably safe too.

Oct 19, 2006 at 8:49 PM Post #21 of 24
Wait, so why get a premium account if they charge you for it?

I know I'm "verified" but I don't think I'm a "premium" member so I don't have any fees when I purchase items... or is it only if you get paid for stuff?

Oct 19, 2006 at 9:26 PM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by jerome829
Wait, so why get a premium account if they charge you for it?

I know I'm "verified" but I don't think I'm a "premium" member so I don't have any fees when I purchase items... or is it only if you get paid for stuff?

Only Premier and Business accounts can receive credit-card-funded payments (some people prefer to use their credit card - ok, maybe a lot of people).

Oct 19, 2006 at 10:33 PM Post #23 of 24
maybe it's off-topic and i know it's been discussed before...but i hate it when people put things up FS at a certain price and then say, "please add 3% if using PP." i'd rather people include the fee into their asking price...most people will probably use PP anyway. if someone wants to use a money order, give them a discount. just a pet peeve...

anyone know how google's checkout thing works? is it only for businesses or could we somehow use that around here?

Oct 19, 2006 at 10:48 PM Post #24 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino
maybe it's off-topic and i know it's been discussed before...but i hate it when people put things up FS at a certain price and then say, "please add 3% if using PP." i'd rather people include the fee into their asking price...most people will probably use PP anyway. if someone wants to use a money order, give them a discount. just a pet peeve...

Same here, that really bugs me. I always gobble up the PayPal fees myself for the buyer's convenience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back