Can we just build our own internals for customs and send to someone to build the shell and sleeve?
Mar 7, 2011 at 6:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

408mike

100+ Head-Fier
For example, say you like the idea of customs but do not find anything on the market to your liking. Could you just go online, scout out what drivers you want for highs mids lows and send to 1964 ue or someplace along with an impression and have them build a totally custom piece for you? Or say you like the JH-5, but want more bass, so you go online and buy a higher end low driver than they use, to increase the bass response, is this possible? 

I find it hard to believe my Gold's lay down more bass than $500 customs, so I am trying to figure out what is ideal here. Input appreciated. 

Mar 7, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #2 of 11
I wondered this myself... I mean, how much are the components in these, they are just BAs and from what I understand not that expensive, that and crossovers... and tiny wires and sauder... am I missing anything?  

Mar 7, 2011 at 6:43 PM Post #3 of 11
most of the cost goes into the labor required (those tiny wires and components don't solder themselves you know?) and the components aren't very cheap either.

Mar 7, 2011 at 6:46 PM Post #4 of 11

Quote:
I wondered this myself... I mean, how much are the components in these, they are just BAs and from what I understand not that expensive, that and crossovers... and tiny wires and sauder... am I missing anything?  

I am wondering the same thing. Does anyone know where we can purchase the internals piece by piece? How to rate each component? That way we can scout out what is top of the line for our needs (both in terms of drivers and also crossovers etc) and buy them, get the impressions done and send them off to be built into a full piece by someone. Sounds simple to me, really. 

Or at least the guys at 1964 or UE should have some upgrades available, like Model X and for x amount of dollars you can get a more powerful bass driver, or midrange or treble etc. I REALLY hate the lack of options on these things, when there are SO many components on the open market. I keep hearing "well x and x sound AMAZING BUUUUUT they have less bass than the Gold's you have now". REALLY?? LESS BASS??? WHY IS THAT???? AND WHY CAN'T I DO ANYTHING TO FIX IT???? WHERE ARE MY OPTIONS??? THIS IS AMERICA DARN YOU!!!!! 

The first company to offer options like I am describing will obliterate the market (assuming they aren't insanely expensive). 

I am waiting guys...

Mar 7, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #5 of 11
Well, you can buy the drivers and maybe you can find someone to shell them. Or you can see what Bilavideo has to say about diying the project (great read, even if you're not insane enough to do this yourself).

But seriously, customs makers put together a product that reflects a house sound. Why should they want their name on something put together by some random audiophile?

Mar 7, 2011 at 7:24 PM Post #6 of 11

Quote:
Well, you can buy the drivers and maybe you can find someone to shell them. Or you can see what Bilavideo has to say about diying the project (great read, even if you're not insane enough to do this yourself).

But seriously, customs makers put together a product that reflects a house sound. Why should they want their name on something put together by some random audiophile?

So you are telling me no place will do it? Take my array of self bought armatures and impression and create a custom shell? 

I mean they could just not put their logo on it or something. I dunno. I am willing to pay, I just want whatever product 1964 has with a better bass driver. I do not want LESS bass than my Golds I want MORE plus better soundstage better separation etc. I basically want more of everything that I get with Golds with a custom fit. 

Mar 7, 2011 at 7:41 PM Post #7 of 11

Quote:
So you are telling me no place will do it? Take my array of self bought armatures and impression and create a custom shell?

I mean they could just not put their logo on it or something. I dunno. I am willing to pay, I just want whatever product 1964 has with a better bass driver. I do not want LESS bass than my Golds I want MORE plus better soundstage better separation etc. I basically want more of everything that I get with Golds with a custom fit.  

No, I'm not saying that, I'm saying what's in it for them? I suspect that adding/changing drivers is not a simple plug and play operation. Also supposed it sounded like shinola? Even if their name wasn't on it, word would get out and it wouldn't be good.

The only people I've read about who might consider this are Kozee and UM.  I don't have their URLs handy, but you can do a search on Head-Fi and find them pretty easily. I think UM is even a sponsor.  Contact them, see what they say.

Mar 7, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #8 of 11

Quote:
No, I'm not saying that, I'm saying what's in it for them? I suspect that adding/changing drivers is not a simple plug and play operation. Also supposed it sounded like shinola? Even if their name wasn't on it, word would get out and it wouldn't be good.

The only people I've read about who might consider this are Kozee and UM.  I don't have their URLs handy, but you can do a search on Head-Fi and find them pretty easily. I think UM is even a sponsor.  Contact them, see what they say.

I see UE has the triple driver Aero on sale, do you think they might be able to rig it with more powerful or forward bass? Since, to be honest, bass is my biggest concern here. The only recommendation that i have gotten that seems solid at this point (from the perspective of upgrading from the Gold's that I have now) is the Monster MD. I was pretty keen on going Custom though, in fact I more or less have my heart set on it, I just do not want to sacrifice bass from my Gold's. I would like more/better bass actually, certainly not less. 

Mar 7, 2011 at 8:15 PM Post #9 of 11
It sounds as though you've got a sound you like, why not see about custom sleeves for the Golds?

As for what a builder could figure out, I really think you've got to take the step of contacting someone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back