can using bass boost on eq or on an amp damage your headphones?
Jul 27, 2010 at 7:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Sadaiyappan

New Head-Fier
^^ ?  I just got a new pair (beyerdynamic DT 440) and I am going to treat them like they are my baby.  I don't want to mess them up so I want to know if bass boost (either software or through amp) can damage your headphones?

Jul 27, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #2 of 8
OKay this next question is going to sound even more paranoid but can listening to poor quality sound (I don't condone piracy but lets say I am watching a CAM of a movie I downloaded) damage my headphones?

Jul 27, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #3 of 8
Well, IMO, it depends on the headphones. Don't take my words for truth (I'm not responsible for you following my advice) but those look like pretty rugged headphones, and I wouldn't worry about it. Lets see, the power handling is 100mW on those. I guess you probably just wouldn't want to put a hugely loud powerful source through those. In summary: Poor quality sound will not damage it, unless it is turned up very loud, in which case any music quality would damage it. Bass boost will probably not damage it, unless it it turned up very loud. Altogether, just use common sense. Don't turn it up too loud.

Jul 27, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #6 of 8
Yeah, it depends on how loud you use them. If you like to turn all the way up the volume, they can be damaged. 

Jul 27, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #8 of 8
Normal EQ no, extreme EQ (trying to make a K701 sound like Bose) on high volumes might. And... no, low quality material isn't going to hurt the headphones, but I would look out for your own mental health.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back