can there be too much Head-Fi?
Jun 13, 2012 at 12:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

alexandran88

New Head-Fier
I think I am addicted to Head-Fi.  I found myself in Ross yesterday and I was looking at jeans but i saw some headphones from Solo Audio and my first reaction was to look them up on Head-Fi to see if they are any good.  I do this everywhere I go if I see headphones... 

Am I hopelessly addicted to this site?

I have never learned so much about audio until I came here...

Does any one else have interesting Head-Fi stories involving checking it at strange times?

Jun 15, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #2 of 15
Quote:
I think I am addicted to Head-Fi.  I found myself in Ross yesterday and I was looking at jeans but i saw some headphones from Solo Audio and my first reaction was to look them up on Head-Fi to see if they are any good.  I do this everywhere I go if I see headphones... 

Am I hopelessly addicted to this site?

I have never learned so much about audio until I came here...

Does any one else have interesting Head-Fi stories involving checking it at strange times?

You think you are addicted to Head-Fi? I joined 4/2011. Got about 50 posts and my starter rig and left.... in November 2011 I came back and still had 50 posts and looked for a new rig. From November 2011 to now.... Ive upped my rigs and have spent record time on Head-fi.... I'm the one that's addicted!!! 

^that's the story basically.

Jun 17, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #3 of 15
You think you are addicted to Head-Fi? I joined 4/2011. Got about 50 posts and my starter rig and left.... in November 2011 I came back and still had 50 posts and looked for a new rig. From November 2011 to now.... Ive upped my rigs and have spent record time on Head-fi.... I'm the one that's addicted!!! 

^that's the story basically.

Yeah, I thought it was bad that I cleared 5000 recently, but there's a few of you "party all the time" types that just remind me how sane I am. :p

I'm waiting for someone to surpass krmathis' high score. I'm guessing it will happen sooner rather than later. Maybe it'll prompt his return to defend the title as well. :cool:

Anyways, yeah, Head-Fi has something appealing about it relative to other forums - it's both active and interesting, despite being "repetitive" by contrast. To somewhat mirror bowei's response - I joined whenever it says I did, and left around 2009, I came back a few months ago and went from around 4000 to however many posts I have now. Yeah...

Jun 19, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #5 of 15
getting my post counts up seems to be the order of the day... but alas i need premium sound and head-fi provides the information necessary

Jun 20, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #8 of 15
post counts must be of some prestige around these parts....

Who has the most post anyway and can their information and knowledge be trusted?

Jun 21, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:
oh ok then I was looking forward to having a spiffy new badge but it doesnt mean much huh?

....... I'll break the taboo and be that guy. But it does mean something, to the newcommers and lurkers really. Which is good and bad. Most newcommers and lurkers will practically take any badged and especially HS badged member's words as gold and that shouldn't be done and is...quite bad really. Members that are established and know the ways of Head-Fi itself the badge won't mean much to. To sponsors and manufactures that are giving out review chances...rank has a slight(not too much) emphasis on who they choose but not much.

And having a loaded profile page and signature box with a professional picture that is constant and actually unique differentiates yourself from others and gains you fame.... that's basically how head-fi works.

Jun 21, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

I would like to smoke cigarettes behind the bleachers with you. 

.....now that I am reading back on that comment, it really looks idiotic...but hey, like I always say. The rank doesn't really mean anything to people that are constant head-fiers. WE can poke fun at  it here :)

I practically live on head-fi..........

Jun 19, 2020 at 7:29 PM Post #14 of 15
To answer the question: No and Yes.

No there is not too much head fi or audio stuff because reading about gear is fun and it’s also a form of escapism especially for introverted people who don’t want to deal with the dramas in life.

Yes too much head fi and gear stuff is bad because in my opinion the best way to enjoy music is to be lost in the moments and not even think about the gear, the music theory and other components of the song/sound. I feel that gear obsession or awareness can be a distraction to really connecting with the spirit of the music.

Jul 1, 2020 at 10:13 PM Post #15 of 15
If you think Head fi is much, you should check out the home studio recording hobby. There’s people who spend thousands of dollars on tube microphone pre amps, speaker monitors, tube microphones, software, etc....The hobby Is not just for recording engineers, it’s also for home musicians who want to record themselves.

On top of that, these guys will also spend thousands of dollars on theIr guitar gear collection too.

Gear collection with these guys can get more complicated than audiophile stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back