Can the thinness of a PCDP be made noticeably more 'full-sounding' w/ an amp?
Apr 30, 2002 at 10:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

The Quality Guru

Blah! he says.
This may seem like a really stupid question to many of you, but I am a bit unclear on whether or not the ‘thinness’ of a portable source can be made adequately (as in comparable to that of a stationary CDP) full-sounding with the addition of an amp (I suppose it could be a non-portable amp, yes). For example, my Sony D-EJ925 PCDP has a good-sounding line-out, however, I find it to be thin and without much warmth.

I noticed that out of the line-out of a stationary CDP (it’s not mine, though!) the sound of strings (a guitar in this instance) sounds full and warm through the W100; it is tuneful and very musical. However, straight out of the line-out of my PCDP the sound is thin, meaning (in my definition) that the strings have little warmth, they sound more like one was just plucking strings without much tone, like plucking fishing wire – you just hear mostly the plucking, not the music. Also, through the separation of instruments is better with the stationary CDP.

Now here’s my situation: I really don’t want to buy another CDP to use as a source, but I’d rather just make the one I have sound fuller and w/ better separation of instruments and I’d be HAPPY! So, would just about any amp help this situation (dumb question, yes I know, but I just want to be sure)? I’m looking for the full-bodied sound w/ moderately lush midrange that emanates from a home CDP; is it possible w/ a portable?

Thanks for any help on this matter!

Regards, Luke
tongue.gif

Apr 30, 2002 at 10:23 PM Post #2 of 13
well, the basic sound of a PCDP is thin, and the sound of an underpowered headphone is thin. So if you amp your phone, it will become less thin.

Apr 30, 2002 at 10:54 PM Post #3 of 13
You're plugging the 'phones into the line-out?
confused.gif

Unless it's a variable output, how do you control the volume? I would say an amp......any amp....... would definitely improve things.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 30, 2002 at 11:27 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by joelongwood
You're plugging the 'phones into the line-out?
confused.gif

Unless it's a variable output, how do you control the volume? I would say an amp......any amp....... would definitely improve things.
smily_headphones1.gif

Actually, I was wondering about that too . . . People say that the line-out is an unampliefied source, and if that's true, then why can my (48 ohms) W100's be powered to a reasonable listening level. And the volume is not adjustable from the line-out, it's just at a constant volume that is the eqivalent of about 1/2 to 5/8 on the volume meter when matched to the volume level of the headphone out of the same PCDP. The volume out of here isn't quite loud enough for my tastes, it would be nice to have it louder for serious listening, hence the reason I've asked JMT to build me a CHA-47. Remember, this is the 'unamplified' line-out that has got this amount of volume; odd, I say. Could it be because my 'phones are 48 ohms? I dunno, this whole thing is sort of shrouded in mystery . . .
eek.gif
tongue.gif

Apr 30, 2002 at 11:28 PM Post #5 of 13
I found adding a RS 1.5 A regulated & filtered power supply made the music richer/ fuller and smoothed out the highs (highs were still there but not ragged) out of my Sony portable. This was relative to batteries and the regular Sony unregulated AC adapter. Of course it doesn't do much for the portability.
biggrin.gif

Was really surprized at the difference.

Gord.

Apr 30, 2002 at 11:29 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Can the ‘thinness’ of a portable source can be made adequately (as in comparable to that of a stationary CDP) full-sounding with the addition of an amp?

Not necessarily. My girlfriend had a SONY portable CD player that sounds crappy no matter how it is amped.

May 1, 2002 at 2:54 AM Post #8 of 13
Most line-outs have very little current drive, especially line-outs from a portable source. A line-out is designed to be connected to something with high impedance (10k+ ohms) such as a preamp or amp. It is no suprise it sounds thin if you are connecting your headphones directly to the line-out. The bass is probably clipping. I don't think it is a great idea to drive a low impedance load (i.e. headphones) with a line stage unless you know the line stage is designed to handle it.

That said, hooking it up to an amp may or may not give you fuller sound, but you can certainly try it.

May 1, 2002 at 4:07 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

I don't think it is a great idea to drive a low impedance load (i.e. headphones) with a line stage unless you know the line stage is designed to handle it.

Good glaven!
eek.gif
That's not good at all. Is there any way to tell if I've damaged it from doing this or this more of a "it works or it doesn't" case?

Thanks
tongue.gif

May 1, 2002 at 3:44 PM Post #10 of 13
It is probably just fine. I often plug my headphones into the line-out of my Radioshack CD-3904 by accident since the line-out jack is located very close to the headphone jack.

May 1, 2002 at 4:51 PM Post #11 of 13
the line out on my sony d777 has enough volume that i need to use an attenuator to turn it down while using the v6. without amplification the line out on the d777 has a light, transparent sound; a very wide frequency response and high detail, but not much energy. add a cha47 to the signal and have a seat. the cha47 adds "punch" and dynamics, and as for the sound being "fuller" you could call it that. the cha47 also really points out the need for an amp with the v6.

May 1, 2002 at 4:57 PM Post #12 of 13
You can amplify thin sound all you want it's still going to sound thin (there might be some cables and amps n stuff that try to make up for the missing gaps by bloating the frequencies that they can't reproduce right = turd). The source is where your music medium to transducers path begins, may that be your first upgrade (headphones or speakers you should never skimp on, but it's almost as bad to skimp on the source as well)...

May 1, 2002 at 5:27 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Can the thinness of a PCDP be made noticeably more 'full-sounding' w/ an amp?

In your situation, yes definitely.

Hell, even the headphone amp behind the headphone jack on your pcdp can make the sound fuller than through the line out!
tongue.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back