Can the Shure se846's be the last pair I buy?
Mar 3, 2015 at 9:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

mikejungle

New Head-Fier
Does the sure se846 have the potential to be the last pair of headphones I buy?

I guess the spirit of the question is wondering if anyone can fathom technology getting vastly better in the next decade, that would make these sound "crappy", in some way.

I just auditioned them with one set of nozzles, and I thought they sounded pretty good, but I need more time, and I really just need to be able to justify the purchase I guess.

Thanks for your input.

------

By the way, with the balanced nozzles, I found the bass to be present, but a bit light. To be fair, it was an unexpected auditioning, and I was listening through my HTC, unamped, and through google play music. Is this something I can expect to get better through a proper DAP or with the warm nozzle?

To be clear, I loved the quality of the bass, and I definitely don't want boomy bass, but I did find myself wanting a bit more bass boost in comparison to the treble when I had it at volume.

Mar 3, 2015 at 10:14 AM Post #2 of 19
I love them, but I can see how it can get better.  I recently auditioned a ie800 and noticed the treble on that was better (clarity and extension).  Also, I noticed the sub-bass more.  But I still went with the se846 as the sound signature is more my style (and it's definitely better for Rock, which I listen to a lot).  Point being, in this price range, there isn't an IEM that has perfected all the frequencies.  I feel like future products will work on this (hope so at least).

But anyways, you can always sell it when the next thing comes out.  Why does it have to be your last pair?

Mar 3, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #4 of 19
I think I'd have an easier time justifying the purchase if I know it won't be outdated anytime soon.

I had the Westone um2's previously and although I liked them, they never quite did it for me in the bass department, and now there are the 846's which look on paper, to be exactly what I've been looking for, but my short audition left me indecisive about it.

I feel if there's validation that the upper to sub bass is omnipresent, I'd feel a bit more at ease.

Also, is there any place that sells this pair for less than 999? Newegg for 950 is the closest thing to a discount that I've seen.

Mar 3, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #5 of 19
I think I'd have an easier time justifying the purchase if I know it won't be outdated anytime soon.

I had the Westone um2's previously and although I liked them, they never quite did it for me in the bass department, and now there are the 846's which look on paper, to be exactly what I've been looking for, but my short audition left me indecisive about it.

I feel if there's validation that the upper to sub bass is omnipresent, I'd feel a bit more at ease.

Also, is there any place that sells this pair for less than 999? Newegg for 950 is the closest thing to a discount that I've seen.

You shouldn't pay more than $800 for them.  Just look around and check with people (i.e. deal thread).  I've heard some people find them at $750.

I got mine from agiprodj.com for $800

Mar 3, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #7 of 19

I guess the spirit of the question is wondering if anyone can fathom technology getting vastly better in the next decade, that would make these sound "crappy", in some way.

I just auditioned them with one set of nozzles, and I thought they sounded pretty good, but I need more time, and I really just need to be able to justify the purchase I guess.

Thanks for your input.

By the way, with the balanced nozzles, I found the bass to be present, but a bit light. To be fair, it was an unexpected auditioning, and I was listening through my HTC, unamped, and through google play music. Is this something I can expect to get better through a proper DAP or with the warm nozzle?

To be clear, I loved the quality of the bass, and I definitely don't want boomy bass, but I did find myself wanting a bit more bass boost in comparison to the treble when I had it at volume.

IMHO, the availability and pervasiveness of hi res audio files/streaming are most likely to affect the longevity of IEMs. The analogy is a lens to a digital camera. For about a decade, camera lenses resolved more details than what the digital sensor could provide. Now we have 50 Mpix sensors and there is a new wave of "digital" lenses that are coming out to market. A lot of the older lenses are now considered average or worse even though they are in perfect mechanical and optical condition.

Keeping this in mind, I personally believe that the current TOTL IEMs resolve far more sound detail than what current lossy formats and/or average portable DAC/AMP technology can provide. We do have lossless formats but the far majority is still CD quality and far minority are up to the latest 24bit/192KHz lossless formats. Once original recordings start at hi res and the distribution and ease of use approach "Spotify" like experience, then I think we will all need to rethink our IEM quality. We should also see today's $2K portable DACs drop to $99.

Short answer - I think SE846 will not be outdated for at least the next 5 years, perhaps even 10. My only caveat is that it's difficult to predict a game changing technology that accelerates high res audio format market adoption. However since any change has to involve the music licensing companies, I don't see rapid change happening. 

Mar 3, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #8 of 19
Thanks a lot for that reply, i think that provides great insight and answers my question to a great degree.

Hey, another related question as I continue my research...why do I keep seeing contradictions about the se864 vs ie800's bass performance? Some people say the 800's are bassier, while others say the 846 is bassier.

Mar 3, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #9 of 19
Thanks a lot for that reply, i think that provides great insight and answers my question to a great degree.

Hey, another related question as I continue my research...why do I keep seeing contradictions about the se864 vs ie800's bass performance? Some people say the 800's are bassier, while others say the 846 is bassier.

The se846 excels in mid-bass.  The ie800 is better with sub-bass.  And people say that the definition of the bass in general of the ie800 is better.

Mar 3, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #10 of 19

The se846 excels in mid-bass.  The ie800 is better with sub-bass.  And people say that the definition of the bass in general of the ie800 is better.

No, the Shure SE846 excels in sub-bass.

Mar 3, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #11 of 19

Thanks for your input.

The Shure SE846 is very sensitive to equipment. The bass out with iPhone is ... meh. But with the Chord Hugo it is incredible and deep.

Mar 3, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #12 of 19

No, the Shure SE846 excels in sub-bass.

I'm talking relative to the ie800.  Not saying the se846 doesn't have great sub-bass.  But the ie800 has better (not by a lot, but enough to say so).  At least that's my opinion (and general consensus).

Mar 3, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #13 of 19
Does the ie800 also excel at mid bass or does it sacrifice mid for sub bass?

I don't know if I'm experiencing this,"correctly", but I have they beyer dynamic dt770's and sub bass is incredible, but I find the mid bass to drop out.

Is the difference between the sub bass between the 846 and 800 marginal or is it marked?

Mar 4, 2015 at 6:08 PM Post #14 of 19
Oh snap, where the heck can I get them for $800? I've been searching and searching, but google has not been my friend.

Not sure whether they'll let you ship them out of Australia, but the RRP here seems to be $1000 AUD, but they can be found for $950 AUD ... according to Dr. Google, that's around $750 USD.

Mar 4, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #15 of 19
LMAO the Shures might be your last IEM, given that you may have to empty your wallet for them :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back