Can the effects of cables be demonstrated with equipment other than audio?
Jan 21, 2010 at 9:17 PM Post #16 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by googleborg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if i look inside myself, and i'm be brutally honest here, i WANT to replace all my cables, i want thick chunky cables and big solid looking plugs coming out of a huge box that is regenerating my AC supply and supplying pure sinewaves all over the place. damn it i want a thick copper rod drove a mile into the ground to supply a pure earth and another thrust into the ionosphere, my amp driven by volts from Zeus's lightning. But not because it would sound better, it's to satisfy this innate male craving i have involving thick tubes and inserting thick rods and gushing pure amperage being turned into sonic bliss. i'm being serious, forgive any innuendo, but there is a reason why all these cables are so damn thick and adorned with fat plugs. or am i mad?

Well, cosmetics do help with selling these cables at crazy price. Just look at yourself.

Jan 22, 2010 at 2:42 AM Post #17 of 50
A lot is simple dressing to up the price. We've probably all seen examples of those big fat heavy cables pulled apart to find nothing but junk inside, yet the people who bought them still said they were great. I take all they say with a very large bucket of salt.

Jan 22, 2010 at 3:27 AM Post #18 of 50
Quote:

if i look inside myself, and i'm be brutally honest here, i WANT to replace all my cables, i want thick chunky cables and big solid looking plugs coming out of a huge box that is regenerating my AC supply and supplying pure sinewaves all over the place. damn it i want a thick copper rod drove a mile into the ground to supply a pure earth and another thrust into the ionosphere, my amp driven by volts from Zeus's lightning. But not because it would sound better, it's to satisfy this innate male craving i have involving thick tubes and inserting thick rods and gushing pure amperage being turned into sonic bliss. i'm being serious, forgive any innuendo, but there is a reason why all these cables are so damn thick and adorned with fat plugs. or am i mad?

No. I bought an "audiophile" (scoff) grade cable (Iron Lung Jellyfish) just because it was durable and looked purdy. (and $20!)

Jan 22, 2010 at 3:44 AM Post #19 of 50
Quote:

I'm sorry, but you have an innate male craving to insert a thick rod into something? And have gushing?
smily_headphones1.gif
Right...
beyersmile.png
regular_smile .gif
bigsmile_face.gif
L3000.gif

-Nkk

Jan 23, 2010 at 3:49 AM Post #20 of 50
Honestly, what red blooded male doesn't like massively overengineered and techy looking stuff? Appearance is a good chunk of what makes us feel all warm and fuzzy inside. I have no problem with that at all, I mean, who thinks a wood lathe looks sexy compared to a metal lathe.

Mmmmmmm chunky bits, knobs, gears and adjuster
wink.gif

Jan 23, 2010 at 5:00 AM Post #21 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Eric,
I've mentioned this before. My Power Plant Premier shows the voltage being fed into it. I have one cord I use that when plugged in shows an almost constant voltage of 121, and another cord that shows an almost constant voltage of 119. If there were no differences in cords, this wouldn't be happening.

OK. The next step is to see what comes out the other end of the power supply. If your transformer steps that down to, say, 24V and smooths it out, does the power supply give you a different output from different voltage inputs? If both cords give you precisely 24V output, then how does the cord ultimately make a difference?

Also, most power supplies have caps that store power to ensure that power delivery is consistent from a range of voltage inputs. If there is a slight difference in voltage from a power cord, the one with lower power would charge the caps slightly slower (fractions of a second) and then the power supply's output would be identical from either cable.

Most audiophile gear has large, capable caps, too. That's why you'll still get sound out of your amp for a bit after turning it off. The caps are still discharging. They are there to ensure a consistent output when power fluctuates.

Jan 23, 2010 at 3:50 PM Post #22 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Honestly, what red blooded male doesn't like massively overengineered and techy looking stuff? Appearance is a good chunk of what makes us feel all warm and fuzzy inside. I have no problem with that at all, I mean, who thinks a wood lathe looks sexy compared to a metal lathe.

Mmmmmmm chunky bits, knobs, gears and adjuster
wink.gif

Well, if that looks are $$$ premium, that's a different story. I mean, I don't mind paying little bit more for a good construction/material/cosmetic, but WTH!

Jan 29, 2010 at 3:09 AM Post #23 of 50
Eric,
Perhaps the change in sound has to do with the ground pin. I've heard that ideally the best power cord is one that doesn't need a ground pin which can contribute to problems, as long as the chassis is up to spec. It would be interesting to test several power cords that don't have a ground pin and see if there is any noticeable difference.

P.S. Please read your PM and send in your payment.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 29, 2010 at 4:26 AM Post #24 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by smrtby123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My flux capacitor will only let me go as far back as 1975 without a proper power cable

LOL, who uses power cables with their flux capacitors? I got to 1927 using only tin foil and yesterday's garbage. Obviously you know nothing about science.
tongue.gif

Jan 29, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #26 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Eric,
I've mentioned this before. My Power Plant Premier shows the voltage being fed into it. I have one cord I use that when plugged in shows an almost constant voltage of 121, and another cord that shows an almost constant voltage of 119. If there were no differences in cords, this wouldn't be happening.

Well you must have a very stable power supply from the grid.

wikipedia 'Mains_power_around_the_world' US Electricity suppliers aim to keep most customers supplied between 114 and 126 V most of the time.

and spare a thought for the poor Afghans - 'Voltage may vary from 160 to 280.' !

Buying a different cable with a larger copper core is like running a larger diameter water pipe to your tap, the water pressure may change slightly, but it will still need filtering if its dirty.

Jan 29, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #27 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If cables make a perceptible change in audio equipment, it stands to reason that they would produce similar effects in other equipment.

Would it be possible to test an "audiophile" power cord against a regular power cord in powering a light bulb? Would it be possible to see the difference? Would it be possible to use a very sensitive light meter to measure a difference in light output or quality between the two power cords?
?

Of course cables make a difference, see my review below.

Power Cord Shoot-Out

Test Bed
Kitchen Aid Artisan Top Loading Toaster
Pre sliced white bread (for uniform thickness)

Esoteric Gold Alloy 69
Price $10,235 (Hurry bargain now only $6544 for short time)

This is a pretty chord and it is so big and thick and shiny green it really makes my kitchen appliance look good, although as its 3 inches thick I had to move the microwave out from the wall socket. Gave a good distinct flavour, improved after a 2 week break in. You will either love it or hate it, hint of grain. If you have problems with your toast making this gives it that bit of extra bite.

Black Carbon Toaster 1664
Price $400

A cable designed specifically for toasters and what fantastic value at only $400 on ebay. After 10 months of burn in this cable 'KICKED ASS'. It warps my mind how much difference it makes. It brings the bread alive (oh sorry thats a maggot). If you like cheese spread this can really open up the taste. The top end is superlative although a little bit burnt.

BTW I am not a toaster salesman, never have been. honest!

Jan 29, 2010 at 10:32 PM Post #28 of 50
Well of course the effects cables can be applied to other things. If you buy a light bulb with a 300 dollar price tag you'll probably believe it pumps out better light than a 5 dollar bulb.

Unless you're talking about the effects other than the placebo effect...

Jan 29, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #29 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by gbacic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well of course the effects cables can be applied to other things. If you buy a light bulb with a 300 dollar price tag you'll probably believe it pumps out better light than a 5 dollar bulb.

High pressure Xenon bulbs do in fact pump out much better light
than a $5 light bulb. And they cost way more than $300. Especially
when you add in the power supply. And if you don't put a filter
in front of them, you get a free suntan with your better light.
biggrin.gif

Jan 30, 2010 at 12:21 AM Post #30 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by gbacic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Uh there are drastic performance differences between types of light bulbs. Most of the higher priced ones boast a long life span.

Do you not believe in performance differences between different tube makes either?

I'm just not sure how your analogy is supposed to work :/ Or maybe you have the definition of placebo wrong?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back