Can the defective headphones be the cause of popping noise?
Sep 22, 2011 at 5:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

da9da9

New Head-Fier
First of all I'm sorry for my poor English skill.
Last Friday, I bought an HFI 580. I'm satisfied with the headphones quality.
But, I heard popping noise about two times when I was using it for computer. The last time I heard the sound was while I open an folder. I heard the sound just before the click sound that we can hear when a folder open. I can't remember the first time.
Is it computer problem or headphones problem?

Sep 22, 2011 at 5:25 AM Post #2 of 11
Do you run a dedicated sound card?

Sep 22, 2011 at 5:34 AM Post #3 of 11
What is the bit rate of the music?

Sep 22, 2011 at 6:03 AM Post #4 of 11
I had a similar problem recently for an HTPC but it wasn't a popping sound one of the drivers just started losing sound (draining) on my xonar STX for whatever reason.

A few ideas to troubleshoot:

1. Test your headphones with various different sources
2. Test your jacks to make sure they are working (connectivity issues)
3. Make sure your sound card's drivers are updated
4. Test different headphones on your soundcard
5. Test a bunch of different music

Sep 22, 2011 at 8:41 AM Post #5 of 11

Quote:
First of all I'm sorry for my poor English skill.
Last Friday, I bought an HFI 580. I'm satisfied with the headphones quality.
But, I heard popping noise about two times when I was using it for computer. The last time I heard the sound was while I open an folder. I heard the sound just before the click sound that we can hear when a folder open. I can't remember the first time.
Is it computer problem or headphones problem?

Heya,

That's the software/sound most likely. I bet you're using onboard sound. If it is, I would also bet you get a weird sound like that sometimes when loading/closing YouTube videos with audio playing.

Very best,

Sep 22, 2011 at 9:07 AM Post #8 of 11

Quote:
I had a similar problem recently for an HTPC but it wasn't a popping sound one of the drivers just started losing sound (draining) on my xonar STX for whatever reason.

A few ideas to troubleshoot:

1. Test your headphones with various different sources
2. Test your jacks to make sure they are working (connectivity issues)
3. Make sure your sound card's drivers are updated
4. Test different headphones on your soundcard
5. Test a bunch of different music

Thank you for the troubleshoots. I'll try it.

Sep 22, 2011 at 9:15 AM Post #9 of 11

Quote:
Heya,

That's the software/sound most likely. I bet you're using onboard sound. If it is, I would also bet you get a weird sound like that sometimes when loading/closing YouTube videos with audio playing.

Very best,

Yeah, I'm using onborad. but I didn't hear that kind of sound. I used to hear weird sound when I used rubbishy computer. At that time I had heard noise when I'm opening folders, scrolling pages, and so on.  But do you mean most of noises is caused by  softwear and hardwear? not headphones?

Sep 22, 2011 at 10:02 AM Post #10 of 11

Quote:
Yeah, I'm using onborad. but I didn't hear that kind of sound. I used to hear weird sound when I used rubbishy computer. At that time I had heard noise when I'm opening folders, scrolling pages, and so on.  But do you mean most of noises is caused by  softwear and hardwear? not headphones?

Heya,

Yes. I'm saying the popping is coming from the onboard sound, and windows software. Notice that you're probably not hearing those pops during music playback. You're probably only hearing it during a windows sound, youtube sound, any javascript/flash sound, and only when it initiates the sound (and not during), and perhaps after the sound finishes.

To fix this, you need to not use onboard; it's pretty noisy if it's a poor implementation (some are ok actually). A cheap solution is the Asus Xonar DG ($20~30) as it's an excellent sound card and has a built in amplifier for headphones and also has dolby headphone support for surround effects.

You headphones are likely fine.

Very best,

Sep 22, 2011 at 10:22 AM Post #11 of 11

Quote:
Heya,

Yes. I'm saying the popping is coming from the onboard sound, and windows software. Notice that you're probably not hearing those pops during music playback. You're probably only hearing it during a windows sound, youtube sound, any javascript/flash sound, and only when it initiates the sound (and not during), and perhaps after the sound finishes.

To fix this, you need to not use onboard; it's pretty noisy if it's a poor implementation (some are ok actually). A cheap solution is the Asus Xonar DG ($20~30) as it's an excellent sound card and has a built in amplifier for headphones and also has dolby headphone support for surround effects.

You headphones are likely fine.

Very best,

Yes! I'm only hearing it during that kind of situation you've mentioned! Now I'm released. Thank you very much :) Asus Xonar DG is very reasonable. I should consider buying it. Thank you:)  By the way, using Digital to Analog Converter can be another solution, right? I'm planning to buy a DAC someday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back