Can someone tell me about the Koss UR-40
May 1, 2007 at 11:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

ChaseD13

500+ Head-Fier
The koss UR 40 can be had for around 30$, can anyone here attest to whether or not it is an improvement over the ksc75s? is the sound any fuller?

Is there any love for this headphone?

May 1, 2007 at 11:16 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaseD13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The koss UR 40 can be had for around 30$, can anyone here attest to whether or not it is an improvement over the ksc75s? is the sound any fuller?

Is there any love for this headphone?

I think that the KSC-75 is a quite a bit better implementation of the KOSS 60ohm drivers than the UR-40. I'm not sure whether or not the UR-40 uses the titanium coated driver or the standard driver (ala PortaPro) but I don't really like the sound of it. I think the main difference is the treble sparkle that the KSC-75 has (especially when Kramer modded). If you want more bass, I think the UR-40 might be ok but I would get a PortaPro over a UR-40.

May 1, 2007 at 11:18 PM Post #5 of 14
They have the same driver in them as the ksc75. titanium coated, I forget if the ksc75 driver is titanium coated as well, but identical give or take titanium coating.

Some have said that they have less bass until slightly modded.

in the under-$40 range you might do better to pick up an MB Quart QP55x from the big factory closeout of older Quart headphones -- seen on ebay and 1 website for $32ish. Allegedly more comfortable than beyers and with the same earpads. Heck, about the same price as replacement beyer pads and you get the whole headphone.

The resident Quart expert says they beat a Grado SR-60. I've ordered a pair but don't have them yet.

May 1, 2007 at 11:38 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They have the same driver in them as the ksc75. titanium coated, I forget if the ksc75 driver is titanium coated as well, but identical give or take titanium coating.

Some have said that they have less bass until slightly modded.

in the under-$40 range you might do better to pick up an MB Quart QP55x from the big factory closeout of older Quart headphones -- seen on ebay and 1 website for $32ish. Allegedly more comfortable than beyers and with the same earpads. Heck, about the same price as replacement beyer pads and you get the whole headphone.

The resident Quart expert says they beat a Grado SR-60. I've ordered a pair but don't have them yet.

wow, better than an sr60? i should look into this Quart QP55x. i wonder how the detail is on these.

May 1, 2007 at 11:56 PM Post #7 of 14
You should probably search for facelvega's comments on them to get a better idea of how they sound.

May 2, 2007 at 12:16 AM Post #8 of 14
They're not a league above the SR-60, but for me they were indeed a bit better during a/b testing.

edit, by the way I mean the QP55x, not the UR-40 which I think would be a definite notch under the Grados.

May 2, 2007 at 12:39 AM Post #9 of 14
I once tried UR-40 in a hi-fi store. I also had my KSC-75 to compare and my first impression was that KSC-75 sounds better. UR-40 have much better bass but overall the sound is kinda muffled compared to KSC-75. As qazwsx already mentioned, they are very comfortable.

Is sound any fuller? I'd say yes mostly due to better bass response.

May 2, 2007 at 12:52 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They're not a league above the SR-60, but for me they were indeed a bit better during a/b testing.

hey

these quarts look promising and the price is right.

would it be worth getting if i already own an sr60?
does it have good detail, bright grado-like sound?

i think i might pull the trigger
smily_headphones1.gif

May 2, 2007 at 11:50 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonic_rage /img/forum/go_quote.gif
these quarts look promising and the price is right.

would it be worth getting if i already own an sr60?

Not really, they're too close in overall performance, and though the MBs aren't as bright as the Grados, they're definitely also rock-oriented. Generally I'd say it would make better sense to do a definite upgrade. However, if comfort is an issue with the SR-60, then the MB isn't such a bad idea: they're very, very comfortable.

May 2, 2007 at 12:28 PM Post #14 of 14
I have used the UR40 for many years now. I use them over many a high end headphone. My UR40 are modded and sound great especially for TV-movies. I think they are the most comfortable can bar none. For music I use the Philips 895. Over the 75 the 40 has a fuller and more relaxed sound that is very planant to me. I would not be without a KOSS UR40.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back