Can someone help me speed up my computer. It's way to slow.
Sep 15, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #31 of 90
I think you gave your battery model, not the computer model :)

Anyway, call Acer and tell them your HD is making clicking sounds.  They should be taking it back under warranty if it's a brand new system, even if it's gifted.  It might help if whoever gave it to you can give you a copy or forwarded email of the receipt/invoice.

Sep 15, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #32 of 90

Quote:
I think you gave your battery model, not the computer model :)

Anyway, call Acer and tell them your HD is making clicking sounds.  They should be taking it back under warranty if it's a brand new system, even if it's gifted.  It might help if whoever gave it to you can give you a copy or forwarded email of the receipt/invoice.

Nah, he gave the laptop info, it's the way Acer does their lineups. The laptop is a Acer Aspire 5742g and then the last four numbers relate to the build.

To the OP, have you checked the power settings or is it in power save mode? On laptops sometimes the defaults are set so everything basically turns off until you want to use it and that causes lag. You can also run msconfig and disable processes from loading on startup until they're actually needed. Otherwise it sounds like there might be a hardware issue, because those specs shouldn't have any issue running W7.

Sep 15, 2011 at 9:52 PM Post #33 of 90

Nah, he gave the laptop info, it's the way Acer does their lineups. The laptop is a Acer Aspire 5742g and then the last four numbers relate to the build.

To the OP, have you checked the power settings or is it in power save mode? On laptops sometimes the defaults are set so everything basically turns off until you want to use it and that causes lag. You can also run msconfig and disable processes from loading on startup until they're actually needed. Otherwise it sounds like there might be a hardware issue, because those specs shouldn't have any issue running W7.

yup, some coms auto underclock

Sep 15, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #34 of 90
Frankly, I would reformat and save myself the heartache. If it's something that CCcleaner and Spyobt can't fix  (I'm not one for securtiy programs) I would reformat. I've torrented mass amounts of Data nearing 10TB at this point... Never a signle virus.

Does you laptop have bloatware and bullcrud programs such as norton antivirus? If so, I would uninstall those first. There could be conflicting security systems. Exl; if you have AVG and Norton or any other two security systems on the same computer it will be unavoidably, unobtusively slow. Antivirus programs do NOT like each other... Ever.... I just abandon all of the uneeded pos's. ; )

Other than that I'd just try my set of trusty programs... if not.... reformat. Although, some laptop makers do not allow reformat on their boards. (They put dumb bios flashes on their boards to prevent even subtle creativity and lock you into their bloatware and their system). I bricked my Gateway core i5 larppy top a while back doing this... Checked the HD for bad sectors (I thought it had something to do with buying a prebuilt computer) and violla! I had discovered I had bricked my HD....

Idk, I would reformat... Because if it's an enexplicible slow you're likely to just knock your brains out and become VERY frustrated with it....
It only takes half an hour. Just back up all your startup programs and Music files / etc.

You'll be back to exactly how your desktop / computer runs now within 1 30 mins... Even if your computer is as inundate and overpopulated as mine... This is where it helps to have multiple drives (a boot drive in a computer) and a external drive you can use to aid your laptop...

Sep 15, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #35 of 90
Thing is it isn't painstakingly slow at running items like games or web browsers but the windows gui itself is rather sluggish.

For example I would click on

Start < all programs< scroll up and down and it would stop when near the top and just not respond for a second then jump to the top.

Or I might be bringing my mouse over the task bar and I click on volume and it has a delayed response to open. Or when I click on the other tasks arrow it would have a slight delay when I click it closed or click somewhere on my desktop.

It's more annoying then problematic. Perhaps I am just being OCD.

Sep 15, 2011 at 10:26 PM Post #36 of 90
No, that's really, really obnoxious to me... try a reformat... Does it perform better for the first few hours it's on then it becomes sluggish? If so, then it's spy/botware. I would reformat in that instance as "anti" is pretty crappy at removing it... Could be a harddrive breakdown too etc. Also take into consideration how long you've already had the laptop. Check for bad HD sectors. This slows and even completely hinders the HD useless when faced with tasks when involving the mini partitions...

Reformat = solves all.. If not, then you know you've got a hard drive problem. While a pain to some, I've got mine setup so that if I reformatted now... I would habe EVERYTHING back to normal within an 80 or 90 minutes... pretty incredible really..

create a "reformat startup programs folder" on external drive. 2. place install directories in the folder and transer your precious data that's on the boot drive to the secondary, backup or external drive. 3. Reformat and easily have lost little time for such a reward that'll likely last a year give or take.

Sep 15, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #37 of 90
Quote:

Interesting.  I wonder why the first few Google hits brought up the battery.  I would've assumed it'd only do that for an out of production model.  Anyway, thanks for the clarification.

Anyway, yeah, you should try to resolve that issue.  If you're slightly OCD, it's going to bother you a lot if your start menu hangs every time you try to open it.  A brand new notebook shouldn't be doing that, especially with the specs you've listed.

Sep 15, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #38 of 90
Could the fact i am running sp1 have anything to do with it?

I didn't have this problem when i first got the computer.

Sep 16, 2011 at 3:23 AM Post #39 of 90
Maybe find a process manager that has graphs and see what is using the most memory, but I guess you've tried that.
Video driver may be bad. That's a quicky to try before reformat.
Run a memory tester as well. ( memtest if i recall runs outside the OS?)  Even new RAM can go bad soon after installing it and botch stuff up. It can go bad slowly after you run it for a while...Happened to me with brand new OCZ, and it was a slow fail.

Definitely try the Ubuntu live cd. ( did you ?) It just runs right off the cd no install.
That may help figure out if the drive is at fault too.

I hate this sort of thing it's just a process of elimination.

Sep 16, 2011 at 3:40 AM Post #40 of 90
Ya the laptop is toast. 14 days and the hard drive fails. Stupid cheap ass acer. Anyways back to my bad spec expensive toshiba. At least it's proven to be reliable.

Sep 16, 2011 at 3:46 AM Post #41 of 90
Yup, clicking hard drive means it's not too far from going terminal.  RMA that sucker (though in this case, it's probably send the notebook back under warranty) and get it serviced.  Throw it up FS if you've soured on it and upgrade some audio gear.

Acer's build quality is generally okay.  You just got unlucky in the hard drive roulette.  Happens to everything from Macbook Pros and Thinkpads to cheap ASUS and HP machines on the Best Buy floor.

Sep 16, 2011 at 4:19 AM Post #42 of 90

Quote:
Yup, clicking hard drive means it's not too far from going terminal.  RMA that sucker (though in this case, it's probably send the notebook back under warranty) and get it serviced.  Throw it up FS if you've soured on it and upgrade some audio gear.

Acer's build quality is generally okay.  You just got unlucky in the hard drive roulette.  Happens to everything from Macbook Pros and Thinkpads to cheap ASUS and HP machines on the Best Buy floor.

I'm not even going to bother. Using Acer customer support is like going to war. (You will most likely file a lawsuit) I have used their support before and it's absolutely useless. This was a gift so i will give it back to the person who purchased it. This thing has caused me stress and isn't even worth it.

Sep 16, 2011 at 10:38 AM Post #43 of 90
We'll you'll probably make em' feel bad... I would reconsider and fix the HD... It's not that hard. Think about the person who gave it to you. They obviously care about you..

Yes, my Core i 5 gateway had the same problem... Called customer support and scheduled for hard-drive swap in no-time. You'll be glad you did.

Sep 16, 2011 at 11:09 AM Post #44 of 90

Quote:
I'm not even going to bother. Using Acer customer support is like going to war. (You will most likely file a lawsuit) I have used their support before and it's absolutely useless. This was a gift so i will give it back to the person who purchased it. This thing has caused me stress and isn't even worth it.

I've not used Acer support, but my Acer laptop has had no issues whatsoever. That being said, if it's just the hard drive and you like the laptop otherwise, and you really don't want to deal with support, I would just get a new hard drive for it on my own. Shouldn't be more than $50 and replacing the hard drive is super easy. I would just create a support ticket anyway and see what happens. Worst case scenario they're a pain and you say screw it, but there's a chance they're actually decent for once and you get it taken care of.

Sep 18, 2011 at 5:30 AM Post #45 of 90
OK guys. I recorded the problem so maybe you can trouble shoot it better now. When i say it is slow i mean this.

Why is it doing this and what is the solution?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back