Can someone help choose an open back gaming headset for me?
May 7, 2022 at 8:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Monty1089

New Head-Fier
Hey guys.

I game on a PS5. Yes I know not a PC so that limits my choices on headphones/headsets to buy.

Buying a dac, headphones and separate mic won't sound as good as using them on a PC. So I will stick with a headset (built in mic) though since most of the good headphones will sound crap on a console anyway.

Anyways what would be the recommended choice between the Drop PC38x vs say the older Audio Technica ADG1x open back headset? I know the PC38x is a hit and miss for some. The ADG1x is somewhat based on the AD900x and has a built-in mic. I can get the ADG1x for around $109 (yes brand new).

Then there is the newer Audio Technica ATH-GDL3 open back headset. These are fairly new so not many reviews and no reviews comparing them to the older ADG1x.

Main aim is to hear footsteps in games. Games such as Call of Duty, rainbow six siege, battlefield 5, fps games. Good soundstage and can easily pinpoint the direction of enemies.

If anyone has any advice please share them with me or other choices.

Thanks in advance.

May 7, 2022 at 9:23 AM Post #2 of 8
May 7, 2022 at 9:39 AM Post #3 of 8
I have used HD650 and ATH AD700 all with good results. Senn for more relaxing/RPG and ATH for action/shooter where positioning is the most important. I use an old Cary dac (USB 1.0 is required) and a decent AMB amp - gotta have a dedicated PS5 headphone system :beyersmile:

Last edited:
May 7, 2022 at 11:48 PM Post #5 of 8
For what it's worth, I have the ATH-R70X, studio reference headphones, and I am utterly pleased with their comfort, clarity and imaging. If A-T is promoting some of its 'phones as dedicated to gamers, I'd trust them.

May 8, 2022 at 9:00 PM Post #6 of 8
I've got the pc37x and pc38x and would recommend buying the pc38x used on ebay as there's a ton there and I got a like new one for $82 with shipping. Out of the box they sound good and easy to drive too. The 38x has nicer mids for music but if you can find the 37x for $50 it's well worth it but takes a little more to drive if your running it off a controller.
The Betrrdynamic mmx300 is really good too, but to get the full bass impact you have to give it 3v volts rms, or normal gain on a sound blaster AE-5 or G6, etc.

May 9, 2022 at 7:16 AM Post #7 of 8
For what it's worth, I have the ATH-R70X, studio reference headphones, and I am utterly pleased with their comfort, clarity and imaging. If A-T is promoting some of its 'phones as dedicated to gamers, I'd trust them.

Thanks for that. They are some expensive headphones lol. But given the Audio Technica AD700x/AD900x are usually mentioned as one the best for fps gaming then I would believe the R70X is on par or better with the cheaper AD models too.

May 9, 2022 at 7:18 AM Post #8 of 8
I've got the pc37x and pc38x and would recommend buying the pc38x used on ebay as there's a ton there and I got a like new one for $82 with shipping. Out of the box they sound good and easy to drive too. The 38x has nicer mids for music but if you can find the 37x for $50 it's well worth it but takes a little more to drive if your running it off a controller.
The Betrrdynamic mmx300 is really good too, but to get the full bass impact you have to give it 3v volts rms, or normal gain on a sound blaster AE-5 or G6, etc.
Thank you for the reply.

Did you find one better than the other for gaming like hearing the most important sounds like footsteps and gunfire? Was the PC38x better in that regard?

The pc37x is still highly sold on eBay and people do still recommend it as a cheaper alternative to the pc38x. Of course if the pc38x is that much better than I would just pay the extra cost to get the pc38x.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back