Can Someone Help a Newbie Out
Jun 3, 2002 at 7:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

rockhard

New Head-Fier
I am looking for a good pair of headphones that will block out a good amount of exterior sound for 30 or 40 bucks. Now i know i'm not gonna be able to get the top sounding cans at this price range but i just want something better than the included headphones with a CD player, something that is very comfortable and can be worn for many hours, and something that will cancel out some outside noise so i don't have to jack up the volume. Thanks!

Jun 3, 2002 at 7:38 PM Post #2 of 16
what i've been reading on this board is that Koss is what you want. the KSC 35 or 50. Can i get team Koss to comment some more on these headphones.

Jun 3, 2002 at 7:52 PM Post #4 of 16
rockhard
welcome to HeadFi
smily_headphones1.gif

Can I welcome people here me still being a noobie?

dohminator I dont think that the koss phones you have mentioned are closed cans and they will not exterior sound. I will leave the recommendation part to others as I haven't heard any good closed phones
cheers
RawHit

Jun 3, 2002 at 8:00 PM Post #5 of 16
I love my Koss'. In that price range, they are the best in headphone-dom, IMO. But unfortunately they do not block a bit of sound from getting in or out. So for that specific application they are not good.

If you really want to block sound out, you have to go up to at least Sony V6's at ~$60. Below that you are pretty much left with the Koss Plugs - BLECH! Don't bother.

Jun 3, 2002 at 8:28 PM Post #6 of 16
If your willing to spend about $100, I suggest geting the Audio Technica ATH A55 from www.audio-cubes.com

I just got these headphones a couple days ago, and they are awesome. They block out a good amount of sound too. The only problem is that they are BIG cans, and you will look kind of wierd if you wear them in public a lot. The sound is really good, and it has an excellent soundstage.

EDIt: They are big to provide confort and to block out sounds. These are ultra confy cans. they fit completely around you ears. Your CD player will easily be able to drive these as well.

Jun 3, 2002 at 8:34 PM Post #7 of 16
ummmm 100 bucks is way out of my range, once again i'm not looking for really good sounding cans, just something relatively better than the included ones for a cd player, that block out noise and can be worn for a while. I will be using them for music and tv, possibly a little gaming. I know many sony's except for the v6's get ripped around here, but what about the CD180's and the CD360's, the CD180's are pretty cheap look comfortable, does anyone know about their sound?

Jun 3, 2002 at 8:40 PM Post #8 of 16
sony mdr-ex70s are supposed to be great for isolation, decent for sound, and can be had for $40 shipped:

http://www.electronicsemall.com/sonmdrexfolo.html

other than that there's the sennheiser mx500s which are probably the BEST earbuds under $60, they sound great but don't block a whole lot of outside noise. $20 shipped:

http://www.globalmart.com/index/audi...ennheiser_.htm

i can only personally comment on the mx500s, which i love; they're cheap, rugged, small, and beautiful, exactly how i like my women.

uhm, just kidding about that last part.

Jun 3, 2002 at 10:30 PM Post #12 of 16
Have you checked out the HeadRoom web site and seeing what they recommend in that price range?

Senn HD 202 ($25)
Senn HD 212 ($50)
Koss UR20 ($20)
Koss UR30 (430)

Jun 3, 2002 at 10:34 PM Post #13 of 16
I think any of the lower priced cans at Headroom will be okay.
I started out with some $40 sennheisers and they were better than anything that came with my portables.
I think I would stay away from those $20-$30 dollar panasonics or sonys etc. I bought a pair from a department store and they promptly went to TV use after I got those senns. I loaned them to a friend after upgrading and don't think I'll be getting them back!
md

Jun 3, 2002 at 10:37 PM Post #14 of 16
Check out the Sennheiser HD212 Pro at Headroom. $49.95 and they sounded pretty decent at the Tour stop in Orlando. Just personally don't like closed 'phones, but for what you're looking for, they seem to be the best deal.

The Koss KSC's are great, but don't provide any isolation.

Welcome to Head-Fi and "Sorry About Your Wallet".

www.headphone.com

Jun 4, 2002 at 12:03 AM Post #15 of 16
yea i'm kinda constricted on price. I've been thinking maybe i could spend a little more and go in the 50-60 range, there it seems like the v6's are the best bet. What about the Koss UR40? I know they're new, but does anyone have them, how are they?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back