Can someone give me peace of mind?
Oct 29, 2021 at 2:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

citylion

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I unplugged my headphones from my THX 887 amp yesterday while it was playing music on low gain. Maybe around 11 o'clock. I heard the amp click a second or two later. Protection circuitry? That's my guess.

I've been reading all over forums today. Some people say that it can't damage anything, or that it will damage the output on the amplifier, or that it can damage the headphones, cause a channel imbalance, etc.

Do I need to get a new amplifier or something now?

Oct 29, 2021 at 2:57 PM Post #2 of 9
Hi everyone,

I unplugged my headphones from my THX 887 amp yesterday while it was playing music on low gain. Maybe around 11 o'clock. I heard the amp click a second or two later. Protection circuitry? That's my guess.

I've been reading all over forums today. Some people say that it can't damage anything, or that it will damage the output on the amplifier, or that it can damage the headphones, cause a channel imbalance, etc.

~ Does the owner’s manual (I hope that there is one) indicate whether the amp should be turned off before unplugging the headphones?
~ My guess also on the clicking is protection circuitry.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2021 at 3:16 PM Post #4 of 9
@citylion we need more info. Does your amp turn back on? and if it does have you tried connecting your headphones to it and listening with some music, to see if you can hear any changes to it's sound (such as channel imbalance, as you said? or distortion at low volumes?) Did you smell smoke/smouldering/burning at all immediately after you heard the click?. Usually this kind of thing only happens with speaker amps, when you get the polarity of the cables wrong. Have you had this amp for long, or is it brand new? it could also be faulty wiring inside it. Or was the room temprature high? perhaps it overheated?..just a few things to consider.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #5 of 9
@citylion we need more info. Does your amp turn back on? and if it does have you tried connecting your headphones to it and listening with some music, to see if you can hear any changes to it's sound (such as channel imbalance, as you said? or distortion at low volumes?) Did you smell smoke/smouldering/burning at all immediately after you heard the click?. Usually this kind of thing only happens with speaker amps, when you get the polarity of the cables wrong. Have you had this amp for long, or is it brand new? it could also be faulty wiring inside it. Or was the room temprature high? perhaps it overheated?..just a few things to consider.

Amp is new. Didn't smell any smoke or burning after the click. Amp runs cool to the touch. I don't hear any problems, but dont have anything to compare to.

Oct 29, 2021 at 5:14 PM Post #7 of 9
I don't think the headphones have anything to do with this kind of issue. Perhaps there is a faulty component in the internal circuitry of the amp.
If the amp keeps making this noise very often, then I would send it to the company that made it, to get them to look at it. They may be able to service it for you and test each component in it's circuitry and hopefully identify the problem. I did have an amp that made a clicking noise (it sounded like the noise an amp makes when you turn it on) after I used it, sometimes it would happen even hours after i'd turned it off, lol. But it never really bothered me, I just kept using it as it functioned normally every time I turned it on and used it. My father now has that amp, it was a Marantz PM5005.

I don't know if this will help you at all;
https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/amp-is-clicking-frequently.712606/

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2021 at 10:46 PM Post #9 of 9
Hi everyone,

Does the problem hinder performance for normal everyday use? If not then you’re fine

Users who are viewing this thread

Back