Can someone give me a rundown of audiophile terms?
Mar 31, 2012 at 12:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

sneaglebob

100+ Head-Fier
For example can someone define:

"Boomy bass"

"Bloated bass"

"Balanced"

"Punchy bass"

"V shaped sound"

"Sibilant"

"Harsh,muddy,treble"

These are only a few that I see everyday here, so if there are any other ones can you please define them?

Mar 31, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #2 of 5

Quote:
For example can someone define:

"Boomy bass"

"Bloated bass"

"Balanced"

"Punchy bass"

"V shaped sound"

"Sibilant"

"Harsh,muddy,treble"

These are only a few that I see everyday here, so if there are any other ones can you please define them?

"Boomy bass" - Means there's a mid~upper-bass (80~150 Hz) hump that makes bass boomy rather than clean

"Bloated bass" - Means bass bleeds into mids, due to overly imbalanced bass; also attributed by lack of bass impact

"Balanced" - the whole frequency response is even across the chart from bass to treble; could be used to describe a particular section like bass

"Punchy bass" - powerful but at the same time clean (no bloatedness / boominess) bass that can give you the feeling of bass "impact" when the music calls for it, i.e. drumbeat. Attributed to a very even and flat and non-recessed bass response between ~40 Hz and 100 Hz 

"V shaped sound" - mids are lacking, causing highs and bass to be overexpressed...sounds anemic / like the music has a flu or something.

"Sibilant" - highs are stringent and sharp / painful to the ear, especially with sounds like "sssss" and "ts" and "ps" and "sh". Attributed to abnormal spikes in the treble frequency response, especially between 6k and 12k Hz. Even a very pronouced treble, when flat in frequency response, should be very non-sibilant.

"Harsh,muddy,treble" - harsh is basically sibilant. Muddy means incoherent, you cant hear different elements in the music clearly, attributed to overly expressed mids, lack in instrument separation capabilities, among a few other factors. Treble = highs (frequency 5k Hz and up)

A few other more confusing ones that confused me even:

slow: overly pronounced upper mids. fast = the opposite.
warm: overly pronounced lower mids, cold = the opposite.
lush: overly pronounced mid mids, dry = opposite.

Mar 31, 2012 at 1:04 AM Post #4 of 5
You missed one.  "I am going broke".  Very relevant term.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back