Can someone explain to me how variable bitrate is better than 320 constant?
Sep 2, 2008 at 9:52 AM Post #2 of 9
You can get the same/similar quality within a smaller filesize by varying the bitrate (less information needed in quieter sections for example). Smaller file size at same quality is 'better' I guess...

In regards to MP3 vs WMA - both have the potential to sound as good as the other.

There are many levels of compression in the formats you mention though, both variable and constant too.

Sep 2, 2008 at 9:56 AM Post #3 of 9
Its not the Sound quality which is better..but Variable bit rate is more effecient & nearly sounds the same for most people.

We had a long debate over it..search for it

Sep 2, 2008 at 1:20 PM Post #4 of 9
Effeciency is the key. In theory VBR v0 is the same as 320 CBR, but one can't be sure. The differences heard are at least minimal.

Sep 3, 2008 at 8:23 AM Post #6 of 9
^ Pretty huge difference in file size between 320kbps and most Lossless formats I'm aware of...

Sep 3, 2008 at 9:07 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by poo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ Pretty huge difference in file size between 320kbps and most Lossless formats I'm aware of...

Yup,

there's a sudden jump in file size..

thats why most of my songs are in 320 kbps ..but recent CDs are in lossless

Sep 3, 2008 at 9:15 AM Post #8 of 9
Yet as for being able to hear a difference, that's another story
wink.gif

I can always tell the difference on good recordings between lossy bitrates like 192KBps and 320KBps but on crappy modern stuff it's almost (if not completely) impossible. Still haven't been able to tell the difference between 320KBps and lossless FLAC but I don't analyze music, I listen to it.

Sep 3, 2008 at 9:41 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yet as for being able to hear a difference, that's another story
wink.gif

I can always tell the difference on good recordings between lossy bitrates like 192KBps and 320KBps but on crappy modern stuff it's almost (if not completely) impossible. Still haven't been able to tell the difference between 320KBps and lossless FLAC but I don't analyze music, I listen to it.

Thats the purpose of Modern recordings.

that even 128 kbps should sound as 320 kbps.

Today's music is sales driven..Quality is the last concern for a generation which enjoys music on Youtube & mobile phone speakers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back