Can someone edumicate me please
May 16, 2006 at 8:48 PM Post #2 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by EHpianist
I read references to single and dual drivers with IEMs. What does that mean?

the UE Super fi pro 5 has dual drivers...which means one dirver producing the sound for higher frequencies and another for lower frequencies.

May 16, 2006 at 8:51 PM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

I read references to single and dual drivers with IEMs. What does that mean?

I'm more intrigued as to what "edumicate" means. Single drivers, I assume is "one" full range driver whilst dual drivers will be one for the bass and another for mid /treble
confused.gif

May 16, 2006 at 8:56 PM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
I'm more intrigued as to what "edumicate" means.

From The Urban Dictionary:

1.edumicate

To provide information to a person of limited intelligence or experience. Usage infers a backwoods/hick connotation on the subject.

It is high time that I edumicate you some manners.

Great, huh?
wink.gif

May 16, 2006 at 9:02 PM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa
the UE Super fi pro 5 has dual drivers...which means one dirver producing the sound for higher frequencies and another for lower frequencies.

So then am I to infer that dual driver IEM's have better quality sound than single driver ones?

And yes, edumicate is a US slang term for "educate". Useful when one feels clueless about a subject (as I do with this).

Elena
www.duoscarbo.com

May 16, 2006 at 10:03 PM Post #6 of 20
.......as an Ety-mological genious, Joelongwood nailed edumacate correctly......not that I could have ever had it applied to either myself or anyone personally known by yours truly....

May 16, 2006 at 10:50 PM Post #8 of 20
Duoscarbo! Spanspeak/Salsa in the land of Eire? Impossible!!........but, dare I venture to say............................................... ................yum

May 16, 2006 at 10:54 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

So then am I to infer that dual driver IEM's have better quality sound than single driver ones?

And yes, edumicate is a US slang term for "educate". Useful when one feels clueless about a subject (as I do with this).

Elena
www.duoscarbo.com

In the case of a IEM, generally dual drivers have better sound quality than single driver. There is of course even triple driver designs, which are even more expensive.

May 16, 2006 at 10:59 PM Post #10 of 20
Jebus, somebody is off in lala land with wierd wordings
tongue.gif

Anyway, I speak from personal shocked experience that dual-driver IEMs (no say on triple drivers) are not always the best solution. I had my 5 Pros, which I thought topped the UM2 and Ety4 because of the dual-drivers. However, I recently bought the iM716, and I was seriously blown away. I've been missing the detail, the refinement, the treble...it was simply amazing.

So like my World History teacher said: Bigger is not better; better is better.
icon10.gif

May 16, 2006 at 11:07 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by AtheisticFreedom
tongue.gif

Anyway, I speak from personal shocked experience that dual-driver IEMs (no say on triple drivers) are not always the best solution. I had my 5 Pros, which I thought topped the UM2 and Ety4 because of the dual-drivers. However, I recently bought the iM716, and I was seriously blown away. I've been missing the detail, the refinement, the treble...it was simply amazing.

icon10.gif

I'm pretty sure the UM2 is a dual driver. And to my ears, along with the SF Pros and the Shure E5c (both dual drivers) they are much more "musical" than any single driver IEM I have (all the Etys and the Shures). The single driver 'phones may have more detail, but they lack the warmth supplied by the bass of the separate bass driver. I prefer "musical" to "analytical." But, hey........that's my preference, YMMV.
biggrin.gif

May 16, 2006 at 11:10 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy
Duoscarbo! Spanspeak/Salsa in the land of Eire? Impossible!!........but, dare I venture to say............................................... ................yum

Once upon a time we were in Eire. Now we are in Spain but we play all over. Lots of concerts in the US next year (including Carnegie Hall).

Currently on "maternity leave".

Elena
www.duoscarbo.com

May 17, 2006 at 2:58 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by AtheisticFreedom
tongue.gif

icon10.gif

True to a point. My UM2 are for when I want to have "fun." I use them for when I want hip-hop to hit hard, or hard rock with a kick. Maybe even techno to get moving while working out. No single driver delivers that much bass and musicality. I do beleive that my UM2 are better than the 5pro though, more resolute overall. My E4c, however, are for when I want an anylytical sound and want to hear piano pedals being depressed, record skips on techno, reverberance in guitar bodies, and drummer messing up or dropping sticks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back