Can someone compare Senn IE8 and CX95?
Aug 3, 2009 at 12:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

encrypted_trance

Head-Fier
I have both of these and decided to do some A-B testing (never really did this properly before) and I am concerned that my hearing has diminshed because they both sound about the same (despite x5 price difference)! I'm using an iPhone 3Gs with 320kbps MP3s, trance music.

If both are dynamic designs, same nozzles and ear tips, what really is the material difference? Surely the driver material is probably the same as from the same factory...i hope it is my low quality ears that are failing me!

Aug 3, 2009 at 4:23 PM Post #2 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by encrypted_trance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i hope it is my low quality ears that are failing me!

I'm afraid it's not. But fear not, here's the answer:

Quote:

Originally Posted by encrypted_trance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm using an iPhone 3Gs with 320kbps MP3s, trance music.

Trance music is about as challenging as driving 100 km/h. Every car can do that. Try something with depth, good production, multiple layers. Something more versatile.
I bet Skullcandy handles trance just as well.

Aug 3, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultrazino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Trance music is about as challenging as driving 100 km/h. Every car can do that. Try something with depth, good production, multiple layers. Something more versatile.

I beg to differ. I'm a total newbie to trance and have been recommended to try Markus Schulz / Progression. I've not had time to do in-depth listening by now, but to my surprise there are big differences in how especially my dynamic driver IEMs cope with this material. So far I'd say the Atrios handle it better than IE8 (contrary to every other style I listen to) and CK100 are trance kings amongst my IEMs. I also have the CK95 and will possibly do some A-Bing later this week.

Aug 3, 2009 at 6:11 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultrazino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm afraid it's not. But fear not, here's the answer:

I would disagree too. Trance is in many cases some of the most complex, most layered music that exists. One of the things I enjoy about it, is that sometimes on the 100th time listening to a song I'll notice a sound that I didn't know was there.

Also, it's got a very wide frequency range, and the entire range is often full of sound, so frequency balance is essential to making it sound right.

Aug 4, 2009 at 12:12 PM Post #8 of 13
An iphone isn't exactly the best choice for hardware sound quality though.

You'll also want to take into account the burn in time for both the driver and ear tips for the IE8 if you just got one recently.

Aug 4, 2009 at 3:25 PM Post #9 of 13
This thread by itself is an insult to IE8 owners...
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 4, 2009 at 3:29 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Menzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
An iphone isn't exactly the best choice for hardware sound quality though.

Have you listened to the iPhone 3GS? It is not a bottleneck and it is better than many dedicated portable digital audio players, probably even some of the consumer "best." That's about as much of an incorrect statement as the generalization condemning trance music to being technically non-taxing.

Aug 5, 2009 at 10:35 AM Post #12 of 13
in terms of quantity, CX95 still outputs more. both have quality bass but of course IE8's bass is still better.

probably the main difference i can think of between the two is the treble. IE8 has a more sparkly, shimmery topend with great extension.
paired with a sony x1051, it can "almost" compete with my tf10pro

Aug 5, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #13 of 13
Ok, I took some time AB-ing these today with Jazz, Folk, Trance and Classical and IMO the only thing they really have in common is the warm, upper bass pronounced Senn sound signature. Other than that - while the CX95 is by no means a bad sounding IEM - the IE8 is better in all aspects. Bass is more precise whereas the CX95 is slightly boomy, mids are more refined and highs both better pronounced and extended. Soundstage is also considerably larger with the IE8, but the most striking difference IMO is the IE8 being incredibly more detailed than the CX95.

It's another matter altogether whether this difference is worth 5 times the price, but as far as I am concerned I'd say with the FX500 and the PL30 there is better bang for buck out there on both levels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back