Can somebody please describe to me what a HEADPHONE AMP is?
Jul 23, 2012 at 1:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Rocksounds18

New Head-Fier
Yes, i am a newbie. This is my first time buying one of these headphone amps. So a few weeks ago i thought about buying my first nice pair of headphones. No i havent decided what pair i want yet( either grados or sennheiser) but if you want to give me advice for headphones go head, i need it. To get to the point i just found out today while researching that you should buy a headphone amp to reach your full potential on your headphones. I have a ipod touch right now. Will a amp help with the sound more? I know nothing about these amps so i would really appreciated any insite. Oh and whats your opinion on the senn hd380 pro and grados i225? thank you all.

Jul 23, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #2 of 7
To explain, you already have a headphone amp in the iPod technically. Most acoustic transducers (speakers, headphones) require an amplifier to produce sound because the audio signal delivered from the source device has much lower power. You need an amplifier to increase the power of the signal so that when its sent to the speaker, there will be sufficient power to make the speaker play at a reasonable volume. Even your iPod default iPod earbuds need an amplifier thus there is already one built inside the iPod.

When people say you need a dedicated headphone amp, it's not to say you don't have one technically capable already, it's to say you don't have one made to power larger headphones that usually need more power. It's also to say you don't have as well designed of one since the one in the iPod needs to fit into a small space, there are compromises in it's design.

Optimally, if you are attaching an external headphone amplifier, you should bypass the built in amplifier in the iPod which will be wired directly to the iPod headphone jack. Basically you should not plug your external amp into the iPod headphone jack. This is double amping. You will have 2 volume controls working in the chain, the iPod and the headphone amp's. For many reasons, this is bad. To bypass the build in iPod amp, you need to get a line level (line out) signal from the iPod. Usually this can be gotten from the dock connector since various iPod accessories like iPod compatible speakers and cars use the line level output as well. If you get a line level output and pass it to the external amp, you will notice that the iPod volume control no longer works and only the amp's volume control works. That's what you want.

Jul 25, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #5 of 7
Indeed, if you like your headphone sound on your iPod, there is no need to get an amp for it.
BTW, setting up an portable hifi system is not easy, it requires special line out cables for your player which you can not get it on future shop.

Many people can not even hear the difference for some headphone with or without amp. It is only after your ear has been trained by higher resolution cans, you can tell the difference instantly.

I still remember, not long ago, when I was use skullcandy, and I am ABing it with the Shure SE530, I can not tell the difference in sound quality at all and found it lack of bass impact..............................

yah, those days:p

Jul 25, 2012 at 10:32 AM Post #6 of 7
Mostly: if your headphones are too quiet from your music playing device, you might need a headphone amp.

It's true that a good headphone amp will subtly improve the sound of many headphones. Very difficult to power headphones benefit more from an amp than easy to drive headphones. Very good amps will provide more of a benefit than poor, cheap amps. If you don't like the way your headphones sound, no amp will fundamentally change the sound signature of your headphones.

If your headphones cost less than $200 (to pick an arbitrary figure) and you already get enough volume from your player, you probably don't need an amp, and wouldn't see significant benefit from one.

Pick your headphones, live with them for a few weeks, then decide if you need an amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back