Can processing only ruin your music?
Feb 24, 2015 at 6:24 PM Post #32 of 69
OK. Let's try and get back to the question that I intended to ask. Is processing applied by the end listener, after the studio engineer has done their job likely to improve or degrade SQ? Incidentally my friend was a BBC trained sound engineer working with broadcast speech. Rarely music. He was a music listener but very sceptical of audiophile claims.

As has been pointed in this thread there are many kinds of processing available to the end user, everything from simple bass and treble controls to graphic equalizers to parametric equalizers to very sophisticated DSPs (digital signal processors). And each of these many different types of processors can be put to good use or can be completely abused. What it all means is that there is no clear answer to the question.

Feb 25, 2015 at 3:40 AM Post #33 of 69
Yup. I guess I have my answer. :) I think that I will steer clear of the Digizoid but continue to use EQ as necessary. I must admit that in the case of my current IEM's I am using it to correct what I consider to be a flaw in their sound. Hopefully I won't need to do this with my next pair of CIEM's. It would be nice to not need EQ but I remain of the opinion that it is not inherently bad. Thanks for the replies all.

Feb 25, 2015 at 4:48 AM Post #34 of 69
I like my digiZoid. Can't say it'll works on every headphones and every music but I do enjoy it over any software EQ on any DAP or smartphone by far. The point is, you really don't get that many choice on portable setup and for the least, I can say digiZoid works well enough for me to keep using it. If you ever get a chance to demo one, do try it. Don't write it off just on face value.

Feb 25, 2015 at 8:16 AM Post #35 of 69
I like my digiZoid. Can't say it'll works on every headphones and every music but I do enjoy it over any software EQ on any DAP or smartphone by far. The point is, you really don't get that many choice on portable setup and for the least, I can say digiZoid works well enough for me to keep using it. If you ever get a chance to demo one, do try it. Don't write it off just on face value.

Have you ever tried parametric EQ, e.g. the one that comes with Rockbox?

Feb 25, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #36 of 69
Have you ever tried parametric EQ, e.g. the one that comes with Rockbox?

Parametric EQ, Yes, but not on RockBox since I have nothing that runs RockBox.

Feb 25, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #37 of 69

It's still in the back of my mind! :wink:

Feb 25, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #39 of 69
It really isn't even an EQ. It's just a basic set of analog bass and treble pots from what I can discern from their convoluted description.

Feb 25, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #40 of 69
I had the previous model that was much simpler and cheaper.
It only addressed Bass. It was remarkable. Had a tiny little set of bass light BA drivers producing insane amounts of good clean tight deep bass.
Brilliant for EDM.
I got rid of it in a purist phase.
Stupid move. It was good fun.
I do wonder if it risks damaging tiny drivers though.

Feb 25, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #41 of 69
I doubt it would damage the drivers as long as it wasn't clipping.

Feb 25, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #42 of 69

Hi-I read the digiZoid as only having bass and treble controls-is there more?

Feb 25, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #43 of 69
I am willing to put up with imperfections in my HP (HiFiman HE-560) but not my hearing. 

I am evaluating musical instrument 31 band Graphic EQ's medium and one higher end (Rane DEQ 60L) (hard ware) right now for my headphones and speakers- with CD, SACD, BluRay Audio. etc. I have hearing loss-from 1Khz on up-so this is not coming from a purist vs. others standpoint.
Frankly- many Head Fi folks have SOME degree of loss-even if it's only above 12-15  Khz-unless you are under 30 and have little loud noise exposure. Most adults cannot hear much of anything above 15 kHz-or can with reduced sensitivity as compared to a child.

I am older and was exposed to a lot of gunfire without any hearing protection as a kid. I grew up in a mountainous rural area and my father, brother in law, etc loved to go shooting.
My loss is rather odd- a rapid 8-10 db loss from 1Khz on up to 8Khz (limit of test) and I presume continuing on up the spectrum until a much sharper drop above 15 Khz with zip at 20 Khz. 
If anyone has experience with a hardware Parametric EQ which would let me boost gradually from 1Khz-say +6 db to +8-10 starting at around 10Khz on up to 16 kHz.
Is there any reason a Hardware Parametric would do this better than a higher end 31 band graphic EQ? The Rane has either Perfect Q or ? Proportional Q.

Feb 25, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #44 of 69
I have a nice 31 band Rane hardware equalizer. It is quite accurate and totally transparent, but it is only two channels and that doesn't do me any good with my 5.1 system. It would work fine for a headphone setup though.

What I would really like is a digital equalizer with HDMI in, able to resolve any multichannel audio and at least ten band parametric on each of the six channels. Oh and inexpensive too! (that last one is the hardest!)

Exa, a parametric would do what you want the best. You could do what you're talking about with just a couple of bands... one with a wide Q for the full width of frequencies you want to adjust, and one with a narrower band to roll it in gradually.

Feb 25, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #45 of 69
  It really isn't even an EQ. It's just a basic set of analog bass and treble pots from what I can discern from their convoluted description.

They do have a full patent that you can look up to the circuit design, if you are interested.

Hi-I read the digiZoid as only having bass and treble controls-is there more?

More as in any other tone control? That will be a no. They are however also a fully working portable headphone amp though. With the FS+ model, it has a separated flat sounding amp section beside the tunable headphone amp section. The FS model only has the latter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back