Can Power cable really improve the sound?
Jan 20, 2002 at 8:40 PM Post #16 of 25
I have always been puzzled with the same question as well. Being a trained engineer, I really cannot figure how a power cord would really help to improve the sound (apart from shielding against unwanted electronic noise)

Still, I decided to give IT a try.

The result? I bought a relatively good power cord.

My conclusion? Sound is something really personally. Try them and see it really help.

If it does, buy it. Else, forget about it.

Jan 21, 2002 at 7:46 PM Post #17 of 25
I have gone down the DIY route, got some good quality MK plugs (the most expensive ones there) and some heavy duty power cable (even though it's only for the X-can). It's so thick thick the guys at work think I was using it to power a industrial Fire heater! Well, at least I know won't melt, better be safe then sorry, and it'll carry plenty of current for my X-can
tongue.gif

Jan 22, 2002 at 12:24 AM Post #18 of 25
What difference, if any, a power cable would make I cannot say. I do know, though, that the power I'm getting from my PS Audio P300 Power Plant allows my rig to sound significantly better than any night-time listening experience I've ever had. If you're one of those listeners for whom late-night sessions give audible improovements in sound quality, I won't need to convince you about the properties of clean AC, and I'd recommend you audition the mains cable(s) of your choice. If you can't hear a difference, or you believe there can be no difference, then go for the Clou cable.

Jan 24, 2002 at 7:45 AM Post #19 of 25
evil_smiley.gif
I really can't resist making my statement on power cables.
In one statement. Snake oil.

Put your money in interconnects, speaker cables or upgrading components.

If you are concerned about AC power, get a good series mode surge suppressor, like from Brickwall.

But if you spend big bucks on an ac power cord, well....
tongue.gif

Jan 24, 2002 at 1:40 PM Post #20 of 25
I got curious about this over the last few days and did a lot of web crawling. The (nearly hunainmous) thing is this: Guage matters up to 14 or so. Shielding matters for RF noise. Belden makes the best and can be had for $10 each when you can find them. Volex now apparently supplies Belden and Volex branded cables can be found more easily for about the same price.

Despite finding that information reiterated, I can't seem to find anyone who sells either IEC cable--at least not in a pre-made $10 cable as described.

I feel that I may benefit more from these than others here because of my power problems in my apartment. Particularly, my monitor is fuzzy unless I play with the cables in the floor to get everything situated just right, so I know its a cable problem--and the stock IECs that come with this stuff are a lot smaller than 14 guage.

Kelly

Jan 24, 2002 at 1:45 PM Post #21 of 25
Well I have tried many AC cords and they do make a difference in sound, but I wouldn't spend mega bucks on one. There is a reason why Dan Wright at Modwright removes stock AC cord on
CD/SACD players he mods and inserts recepticle for aftermarket AC cord. Best I have found for reasonable price is Absolute AC cord for $49 competes with cords costing many times its price:

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.p...9326&demo&3&4&

Caution
People who are making their own AC cords, if you don't know what you are doing best not to. You risk damaging your equipment, serious electrical shock or risk of starting a fire!

Of course as others have mentioned a power conditioner can be very beneficial, that is another topic and more money!

Jan 24, 2002 at 2:00 PM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
Of course as others have mentioned a power conditioner can be very beneficial, that is another topic and more money! [/B]

Now that Monster has introduced its new line of power conditioners, there are some very good deals to be had on the older HTS-2000, now running slightly over $100 on some ebay stores. IMO this conditioner was an excellent price/performance product, and as a closeout is a real bargain.

Feb 6, 2002 at 3:36 AM Post #24 of 25
I've been thinking about it a battery, but the ZOTL's going to need a pretty big one...

Feb 8, 2002 at 8:58 PM Post #25 of 25
AC power cable DO makes a difference! I sent my home stereo to repair some years ago and they change the AC cable for a thinner one. I was not really into audio tweakings at that time, but two months ago I changed the cable for the male end of a damaged thick extension cord and it was like buying a new system: more power, less noise, more detail, bigger bass.
If you don't want to spend much money without being sure, try a DIY cable. Go to http://www.tnt-audio.com for help. Or use an old thick extension cord!
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back