Can one enter Mexico with an expired US Passport?
Feb 2, 2006 at 12:44 AM Post #16 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pappucho
Read my post above, there is a checkpoint about 20km into Mexico where you are required to show your tourist permit and vehicle permit if you are driving in. Without these, they won't let you past that point unless your a Mexican citizen.

I can confirm this. It freaked me out going even further (drove to Guadalajara) and I ran into a couple of checkpoints. One at the 20km point and further in Delicias IIRC. I was an illegal alien in Mexico.
biggrin.gif
I did not get the permits but nobody bothered us because the car we were in had Chihuahua plates and the proper permits.
biggrin.gif

Feb 2, 2006 at 1:30 AM Post #17 of 20
I forgot to add that if you are flying you will not be able to get back into the US. The laws changed for 2006 requiring all US citizens to show a passport when entering via an airport. 2007 will require any US citizen whether by air or land that enters the US to show a valid passport.

Feb 2, 2006 at 1:40 AM Post #18 of 20
Onix, I can appreciate your sentiment, but it's not true. I've made about 4 road trips down to Mexico. I have NEVER been asked to see ID of any kind. The border guards just wave you through, I didn't even stop. This is at the California border, fwiw. Coming back is a different story. The line getting back into the US pre 9-11 was about 3 hours long on heavy traffic days.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onix
I sincerely resent that commentary. Not many people can enter Mexico with expired passports, even with pockets "full of pesos" since there are extremely tigth inmigration controls that warrant an extremely harsh penalty to any official dumb enough to allow someone to enter the country without the propet documentation.

As for LS20, I recomend you to expose your case to the proper authorities through your university. An remember that you'll need also a visa, albeit that one is really easy to obtain in the embassy or consular office.

Feb 2, 2006 at 3:33 AM Post #20 of 20
As long as you can squeeze into the trunk of a Ford Focus with four other people, you can probably get in or out of the country with an expired library card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back