Can one enter Mexico with an expired US Passport?
Feb 1, 2006 at 5:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

ls20

1000+ Head-Fier
I got notice of a trip to mexico in Feb 11th... thats less than 2 weeks ago. I am a US citizen and I have a passport but it has expired. Because of it's date of issue, I am not eligible for the "quick renewal" process. To get a new passport issued, I am required to submit many documents... those which I don't have ready access to and thus I most likely won't be able to get a new passport issued in time.

It's not as if I'm trying to get into Iran or Lebanon or anything (that's for July
evil_smiley.gif
) ... do you think this expired passport will suffice for entry into Mexico? I'll be travelling with staff from the local University in school vehicle.

Of course, I'll contact proper authorities tomorrow morning...but wondering if anyone had quick answer now

Feb 1, 2006 at 5:15 AM Post #2 of 20
Getting back in would be a more important issue with an expired passport. Unless you are flying, I doubt if a Mexican border guard will bother you for identification.

Feb 1, 2006 at 5:16 AM Post #3 of 20
as long as your pockets are stuffed full of pesos you should have no problem.
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 1, 2006 at 5:23 AM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911
as long as your pockets are stuffed full of pesos you should have no problem.
evil_smiley.gif

I sincerely resent that commentary. Not many people can enter Mexico with expired passports, even with pockets "full of pesos" since there are extremely tigth inmigration controls that warrant an extremely harsh penalty to any official dumb enough to allow someone to enter the country without the propet documentation.

As for LS20, I recomend you to expose your case to the proper authorities through your university. An remember that you'll need also a visa, albeit that one is really easy to obtain in the embassy or consular office.

Feb 1, 2006 at 5:34 AM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Onix
extremely tigth inmigration controls

aghhh must resist will to make comment!! but don't want to be banned

Hmm well do you really have to go to Mexico? Idk, if there is really nothing you can do about it, then why worry about it

Feb 1, 2006 at 5:54 AM Post #6 of 20
When getting "permission" to travel into Mexico all that is requested of a US citizen is to show your birth certificate and a driver's license. You present these at the border's immigration center on the Mexican side. Presenting these and filling out the visiting permit will allow you to travel in Mexico with no problems. The permits will be issued for 1 week to 6 months, depending on how long you plan on staying. If you get a permit for over 1 week you'll need to visit any Mexican bank to pay for permit fee. Keep this in mind before traveling into Mexico since you'll need to have paid this fee before getting to the "check point." Getting across the border is no problem for anyone, it's when you travel past the checkpoint (about 20km into Mexico) when you'll need to show these papers and show that you've paid the fee. I am an US citizen who travels into Mexico a few times every year and this is all I ever do. I have never needed a passport to travel into Mexico. Hope this helps. Where are you going in Mexico?

Originally Posted by Onix
extremely tigth inmigration controls

Originally Posted by Scubasteve

There are several checkpoints set up throughout the highways in Mexico. Most of them are staffed by armed soldiers. They are mostly looking for weapons but a few may ask for your traveling permits.

Feb 1, 2006 at 5:58 AM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScubaSteve87

Mmmm, you can PM me. I am open to all discussions.
biggrin.gif

Feb 1, 2006 at 8:29 AM Post #9 of 20
I will be camping in the norther Sierra Madre for 7 days--hopefully not too long of a travel to require special permits.

The thing with my birth certificate is that I am a naturalized citizen, so I don't think a document showing my foreign-birth does any good
redface.gif

I've gone to Canada and back twice post-9/11 without even showing a driver's license... too bad there are so many hassles here!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pappucho
When getting "permission" to travel into Mexico all that is requested of a US citizen is to show your birth certificate and a driver's license. You present these at the border's immigration center on the Mexican side. Presenting these and filling out the visiting permit will allow you to travel in Mexico with no problems. The permits will be issued for 1 week to 6 months, depending on how long you plan on staying. If you get a permit for over 1 week you'll need to visit any Mexican bank to pay for permit fee. Keep this in mind before traveling into Mexico since you'll need to have paid this fee before getting to the "check point." Getting across the border is no problem for anyone, it's when you travel past the checkpoint (about 20km into Mexico) when you'll need to show these papers and show that you've paid the fee. I am an US citizen who travels into Mexico a few times every year and this is all I ever do. I have never needed a passport to travel into Mexico. Hope this helps. Where are you going in Mexico?

Feb 1, 2006 at 2:26 PM Post #10 of 20
I walked across the bridge into Juarez a few times and never had to show a single thing. Pay your quarter, and into the city you go. I don't think it's much different if you drive, except that the toll is larger. Coming back I had to declare my citizenship and (post 9/11 anyway) show a driver's license. They'd hassle some of my hispanic friends a bit and ask questions about where they were born or whatever. Never needed a passport but that was 2-3 years ago and may have changed.

Feb 1, 2006 at 10:54 PM Post #11 of 20
you may be able to get in to mexico, but getting back into the us would be a much more serious issue.

Feb 1, 2006 at 11:16 PM Post #12 of 20
My mom doesn't need a passport to get into Mexico, oh wait she a Mexican citizen.
biggrin.gif
Oh my uncle went to Mexico last year and he took all of his 6 or 7 girls and i dont think he needed any passports. I would think getting into the US would be a harder thing to do?

Feb 1, 2006 at 11:19 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elec
I walked across the bridge into Juarez a few times and never had to show a single thing. Pay your quarter, and into the city you go. I don't think it's much different if you drive, except that the toll is larger. Coming back I had to declare my citizenship and (post 9/11 anyway) show a driver's license. They'd hassle some of my hispanic friends a bit and ask questions about where they were born or whatever. Never needed a passport but that was 2-3 years ago and may have changed.

You can only go two or twenty miles (forgot which) into a country Mex/US as a tourist.

Feb 1, 2006 at 11:42 PM Post #14 of 20
How would they know? Is there a checkpoint farther in? I never strayed much from the border but I never came into contact with a single Mexican official either...

Feb 2, 2006 at 12:37 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elec
How would they know? Is there a checkpoint farther in? I never strayed much from the border but I never came into contact with a single Mexican official either...

Read my post above, there is a checkpoint about 20km into Mexico where you are required to show your tourist permit and vehicle permit if you are driving in. Without these, they won't let you past that point unless your a Mexican citizen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back