Can I Use This Cable With Amp?
Mar 19, 2013 at 1:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

cuag

New Head-Fier
I have Focusrite Scarlet 8i6 soundcard. Btw recently I bought AKG quincy jones q701 headphones. But my soundcard did not drive my headphones well. Then I just bought a headphone amp. Now I am going to wire my own cables for between soundcard (2 x 1/4" mono) and headphones amp (2 x Rca mono).

I have lot of Planet Waves PW-INSTC-250 instrument cable (24 awg) in my home studio : www.fullcompass.com/product/233687.html But it is instrument cable
rolleyes.gif
. Can I use this kind of cable for between soundcard and headphones amp?

Thanks.
mf_headphones.gif

Mar 19, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #2 of 3
That looks like a single conductor cable, so I think it won't work unless you have 4 strands of them. That could get thick really quickly. I could be wrong though, I only have experience with headphone cables. 

Mar 19, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #3 of 3
When you make those instrument cables, do you solder to 2 seperate connections? 4? Or only 1? You need a total of 4 conductors for what you proposed. If you have enough conductors on 1 wire, great. If you need 2 wires, each with 2, fine. If you need 4 wires (only 1 conductor each) it may be thick but will still work. No issue with using instrument wiring for headphones, as far as I know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back