Can I use my home theater reciever as an "amp"
Feb 19, 2011 at 10:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

rickyjoepr

New Head-Fier
I know it sounds a bit redundant

I just bought some ad700's just to play xbox on

I didnt want to spend right now to get the mixamp or the turtle beach amp

Would I be able to just hook it up to my home theater reciever, and get the 5.1  conversion surround effect that way?

Is this a good idea for me?

If not whats a cheap alternative amp that will give me 5.1

just trying to weigh my options out before I have to spend more money

Thank you

Feb 19, 2011 at 11:36 PM Post #2 of 6
I don't think you're going to get 5.1. I think most receivers only give you two channels off the headphone jack. But yours might be different - check the manual to see if it has special DSP cor this.

There are boxes that will give you simulated 5.1 from two channels, but they're not inexpensive. I think one is the Smyth Realizer. I heard it a couple of years ago and it is pretty good. However, I can't justify the price.

There are also some specialized headphones that give you 5.1. But they're mostly gimmicks and don't sound very good. I haven't seen one that impressed anyone here.

Anyhow, plug your headphones into the receiver. You won't hurt anything by trying it out.

Feb 20, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #3 of 6
my headphones arent here yet hahah

Ok so yeah I know the best thing to do is try it out but I was curious

Also if I just plug the headphones into the speaker while the xbox 360 is connnected via optic cable, the sound Im  getting will still be digital right

I dont think the signal changes or anything going to headphones

Ive never tried plugging them into the reciever so I dont know much

Feb 20, 2011 at 10:56 AM Post #4 of 6
I use an Onkyo home theater receiver as an amp for my headphones. I don't know if I get 5.1, but playing Dead Space on a PS3 is creepy realistic, sound-wise.

Feb 20, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #5 of 6
hmm...On my reciever it gives off dolby digital and prologic two through five channels, with the option of only stereo sound coming from 2 channels. It doesnt give me the stereo surround option  I have seen on some models.

Im hoping one of these will translate well in terms of directional sound, if not. Looks like im gonna have to buy the mixamp or a-40. Which are both like 130 bucks

if anyone has any suggestions feel free to let me know

Feb 20, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #6 of 6
This question has already been answered here:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/534479/mad-lust-envy-aka-shin-cz-s-guide-to-headphone-gaming-particularly-with-dolby-headphone/525#post_7287736

^ This is a good read overall for any info you might need on headphone gaming.

As I said in the other thread, even if your receiver can receive 5.1 channels it is more than likely down-sampling everything down to stereo for you headphones and not applying Dolby Headphone in the same way the Mixamp does.

Do NOT get the A40's if you already have the AD700's, you already have one of the best headphones there are for gaming. Buy the Mixamp and it will give you the proper surround sound you need for you AD700.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back