Can I say how BAD ASS Led Zeppelin is?
Jan 2, 2006 at 9:41 PM Post #31 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beach123456
I am amazed by them, but on a different level. I am not against them at all, but more or less indifferent. I know they are really talented and make great music and all, but for some reason I just cant bring myself to listen to them in my free time.

I am that way with a lot of bands. Not with zepplin though, I have the complete studio recordings. I would go in order. II is probably the album I listen to most.

Jan 2, 2006 at 10:07 PM Post #32 of 53
Being that I grew up in that era and zep is part of the soundtrack of my early teen years I tolerate them . You must understand zeppelin was the most played out band of the 70s . There were days when every fm station was playing stairway to heaven constantly , change the station and its stairway again and again over and over.
As far as being "bad ass" not really" bad ass" in the 70s was THE WHO .....they where really badass.

Jan 3, 2006 at 12:23 AM Post #33 of 53
I'm working right now and I've got Led Zep IV playing throughout the store. Mm Mm comic books and led zeppelin.

Jan 3, 2006 at 4:00 AM Post #34 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by max-9
Being that I grew up in that era and zep is part of the soundtrack of my early teen years I tolerate them . You must understand zeppelin was the most played out band of the 70s . There were days when every fm station was playing stairway to heaven constantly , change the station and its stairway again and again over and over.
As far as being "bad ass" not really" bad ass" in the 70s was THE WHO .....they where really badass.

Who are you saying was badass in the 70s? Who?

Sorry, I just had to type that.

__________________________________________________ _______________

Their song Achilles last stand is awesome. Best Zeppeling Solo.

Jan 3, 2006 at 9:08 PM Post #35 of 53
Led Zeppelin is so badass that if there were a way to measure badass, they'd be off the chart! I love Led Zeppelin and they are my absolute favorite way to just totally rock out. Every once in a while when my other technical/progressive/awesome stuff gets me bored, I put on some Led Zeppelin and let my Grados rule. They do a great job with Zep's studio recordings. HTWWW isn't all that great in terms of quality, but it's a good introduction to Led Zeppelin. I actually got HTWWW first before getting Led Zeppelin I, II, and earlier and latter days (which you shouldn't get... just get the regular albums), and the studio versions sounded even better once I got to them.

Jan 3, 2006 at 10:08 PM Post #36 of 53
Yes you can!

LZ is my absolute favourite right after Pink Floyd though I think they can't be compared directly when they're so different.

Jan 4, 2006 at 12:12 AM Post #38 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by asmox
I've never been able to get into Led Zeppelin.

Everything I've ever heard from them just ended up annoying me (Plant, in particular) and leading me towards the belief that they are one of the most over-rated and over-hyped bands ever.. right alongside Radiohead.

I dunno. I have a pretty wide range of musical tastes, but LZ just does nothing for me.

Are you sure rock music is for you? Maybe you should try soft jazz or light classical.
biggrin.gif
Seriously I don't like many really popular rock bands as well, sometimes stuff just isn't for you, even Led Zeppelin. I remember reading that when 'Rolling Stone' magazine reviewed Led Zeppelin's first album they said you needed to be on drugs to enjoy it, and wrote four other negative album reviews.
Now I love Led Zeppelin, they're music is just so dynamic and rythmic. The punchy drums, the bouncy bass, the edgy riffs, the screams, the silence, the tinkling. It's just inspiring music that sounds so live and alive, the albums themselves are even well produced. Words can't really describe Led Zep they're IMO unbeatable when on top form. I think they're so good I rarely listen to them unless it's quiet in my house, so I don't miss a song! Yes it's official Led Zeppelin, as said best by Jack Black, do some BAD-ASS RAAWKING!

Jan 4, 2006 at 3:03 AM Post #40 of 53
The only issue with LZ for most people (myself included, at times) seems to be Plant.

So here's a question: If LZ could have had a different singer, who would have been the best choice, and how much more bad ass would they have been (or not been, in case you think Plant was the best singer to accompany Page/Bonham/Jones during that era).

I'll throw one out there, just to get things started...how about the guy from Bad Company (Paul Rodgers?). I know some are going to say Freddie Mercury, but this isn't about best rock vocalist, it's about best LZ vocalist.

Jan 4, 2006 at 3:14 AM Post #41 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrith
So here's a question: If LZ could have had a different singer, who would have been the best choice, and how much more bad ass would they have been (or not been, in case you think Plant was the best singer to accompany Page/Bonham/Jones during that era).

I'll throw one out there, just to get things started...how about the guy from Bad Company (Paul Rodgers?). I know some are going to say Freddie Mercury, but this isn't about best rock vocalist, it's about best LZ vocalist.

It almost feels like blasphemy to even answer this question, as I'm a huge Zep fan, and love Plant. I love his solo stuff as well. My wife and I just saw him last year at the Beacon Theater in NYC and it was an awesome show. His newer solo stuff is great - his voice has changed significantly with age and has a raspiness to it now that's just beautiful. He's definitely not as young as he used to be, but then again neither am I.
eek.gif

However.....

Page did an album several years ago with Dave Coverdale of Deep Purple / Whitesnake fame. Interesting listen. A very good matchup.

Also, Page has toured and put an album out with The Black Crowes, doing all Zep stuff. Great, great album. Hearing the Zep guitar the way it oughtta sound b/c it's Page playing, combined with Chris Robinson on vocals is really killer. Check it out.....

Jan 4, 2006 at 3:23 AM Post #42 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by nspindel
It almost feels like blasphemy to even answer this question, as I'm a huge Zep fan, and love Plant. I love his solo stuff as well. My wife and I just saw him last year at the Beacon Theater in NYC and it was an awesome show. His newer solo stuff is great - his voice has changed significantly with age and has a raspiness to it now that's just beautiful. He's definitely not as young as he used to be, but then again neither am I.
eek.gif

However.....

Page did an album several years ago with Dave Coverdale of Deep Purple / Whitesnake fame. Interesting listen. A very good matchup.

Also, Page has toured and put an album out with The Black Crowes, doing all Zep stuff. Great, great album. Hearing the Zep guitar the way it oughtta sound b/c it's Page playing, combined with Chris Robinson on vocals is really killer. Check it out.....

Ditto.....I found absolutelly nothing wrong with Plant, of course there are toher options, and in that particular era, there were a lot of good options, but LZ was IMO a phenomenon like it was, as a group, as a band, and not becasue of individual values (even though the individual values were also very good IMO)
I enjoy very very much the Black Crows album with Page, even I was looking for the imported version with all the tracks, the US version was mutilated, the whole set is only avaialble on the Japanese import....

Jan 4, 2006 at 3:46 AM Post #43 of 53
Not only was LZ badass, but they've been very influential. Countless vocalists have pathetically tried to imitate Plant's voice (mostly metal bands), and LZ invented the ideas of having a badass segment followed by a wussy segment--this has been almost universally copied by metal bands.

Jan 4, 2006 at 11:07 PM Post #45 of 53
I think Zepellin were bad ass, but at the same time they're overrated.

Their first 2 albums were near perfect albums which to me truly succesfully cemented blues to hard rock. But after that, although they became more ambitious and better songwriters, most of their albums were uneven.

Just listen to Houses Of The Holy: The first 2 songs are amazing and they are followed up by the mediocre "Over The Hills..." and the waste of time "The Crunge". And nothing after is anywhere as good as the first track. Same with their other albums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back