Can I safely have balanced and unbalanced outputs on my dac connected at the same time?
Feb 19, 2013 at 5:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

davidc2

Head-Fier
I have a new Musical Fidelity M1 A and I am feeding Genelec 8030A speakers from it over balanced connections from a usb input from my pc  I would like now to connect the unbalanced phono connections from the M1 to my Graham Slee headphone amp to use that with headphones.  I don't want to use speakers and headphones at the same time but will the speaker (or headphone) SQ be damaged by having both connections plugged in at the same time?  Listening to it speakers now I can't an obvious problem.  Grateful for a steer on this.  Thanks.

Feb 19, 2013 at 6:47 AM Post #2 of 3
Probably not. Depends on how the outputs are set up on the DAC. If they are taken from the hot and ground of the balanced outputs, then you might lose a bit of sound quality. If they are from a phase splitter then there should be no difference at all. If you haven't noticed a difference, then I wouldn't worry about it.

Feb 19, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #3 of 3
Thanks. Have just checked with Musical Fidelity tech support too who say it's fine to have both sources connected.  Now I just have to deal with the odd crackle I get with the usb connection....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back