Can I get more with the 325i's?
Jan 24, 2008 at 9:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

sunseeker888

100+ Head-Fier
Ok, so I've been using my 325i's for a few weeks, they have around 100 hours burn-in on em, and they sound good. But, not as good as my HD555s with the same exact set-up. At first, I thought they were miles better, but in the long-run something is lacking. Has anybody here ever disliked the 325is? I always read/hear such great things about em, but maybe they're just not for me ? And I enjoy the fact that they are bright. So what gives?

Jan 24, 2008 at 10:04 PM Post #4 of 24
True, soundstage is kinda lacking with the Grados... As for my music... I play mostly vinyl followed by CD followed by FLAC lossless. My genre preferences range from classic rock (Eagles, Neil Young, Stones) to 80s/new wave (like Icehouse, the Cars, New Order etc). My favorite albums with the Sennheisers were the 180 gram of Dire Straits Communique and Zeppelin II. With the 325i's stuff like the Eagles sounds just right while mainstream rock and dance music sounds lifeless.

I do realize and have experienced firsthand that the Grado 'phones are very very revealing to the source and recording quality, but then again the majority of my stuff is HQ vinyl or very decent digital stuff. FWIW, the 325s sound better out of my vintage sx-1050 Pioneer then out of the pro-ject headbox... But its the exact opposite for the senns. I just don't know sometimes...

Jan 24, 2008 at 11:42 PM Post #7 of 24
I love trance with my 225's. The echo and soundstage is to die for. It is true some headphones are better for certain things than others.My SOHA with the right tubes make my 225's sing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunseeker888 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
True, soundstage is kinda lacking with the Grados... As for my music... I play mostly vinyl followed by CD followed by FLAC lossless. My genre preferences range from classic rock (Eagles, Neil Young, Stones) to 80s/new wave (like Icehouse, the Cars, New Order etc). My favorite albums with the Sennheisers were the 180 gram of Dire Straits Communique and Zeppelin II. With the 325i's stuff like the Eagles sounds just right while mainstream rock and dance music sounds lifeless.

I do realize and have experienced firsthand that the Grado 'phones are very very revealing to the source and recording quality, but then again the majority of my stuff is HQ vinyl or very decent digital stuff. FWIW, the 325s sound better out of my vintage sx-1050 Pioneer then out of the pro-ject headbox... But its the exact opposite for the senns. I just don't know sometimes...

Jan 25, 2008 at 4:23 AM Post #9 of 24
Coming off a pair of Senns Ill bet the adjustment was really something. In terms of something lacking, I think it just comes down to taste. Maybe you prefer something with a larger soundstage? A different sound sig? Dunno what to tell you on this one.

Jan 25, 2008 at 4:41 AM Post #10 of 24
Tell you what... Its the headbox.

Just for the fun of it, I connected the 325s to my mac's headphone jack and it actually sounds better. I do not know how thats possible...but I swear it was night and day.

Even my vintage amps headphone jack sounds better. The headbox is kinda thin. Problem solved

Jan 25, 2008 at 4:58 AM Post #11 of 24
Glad to hear. Every once in a awhile Ill plug mine straight into my mbp's jack, just sounds different, fun to mix things up you know.

Jan 25, 2008 at 8:40 AM Post #13 of 24
This is weird. :| The SR325i's are higher class headphones than the HD595 which are two levels above the HD555. These are my impressions.

Being a Grado fan while detesting the SR325i's is like being a beer fan but only of those non-alcoholic.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 25, 2008 at 11:05 AM Post #15 of 24
Grados love a good current source. The more current your source can put out the better.Senns love voltage. That is why different sources will work differently with each type.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunseeker888 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tell you what... Its the headbox.

Just for the fun of it, I connected the 325s to my mac's headphone jack and it actually sounds better. I do not know how thats possible...but I swear it was night and day.

Even my vintage amps headphone jack sounds better. The headbox is kinda thin. Problem solved

Users who are viewing this thread

Back