Can I do better than the Klipsch X10 at $170?
Feb 20, 2010 at 5:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

tim3320070

Headphoneus Supremus
I have the RE0 and love the clarity but I cannot live with the thin sound otherwise (I have them as sealed as I can make them). I had the X5 and liked it a lot but had to return with bad driver and they were out of replacements.
So if I had $170 to but some new or refurb IEM's that have similar clarity to RE0 but more even sound (more bass and lower midrange), would the X10 be a good buy?

Music: acoustic, folk, rock: iBasso D10 as source.

Feb 20, 2010 at 5:57 PM Post #2 of 22
In my view, no. If available, I would spend $30 more and get the AT CK10s, which in my own personal view, crush the X10s across the board (I did own them once upon a time). Main problme is finding the CK10s right now for $200 (though they may start to appear at places like newegg and ecost again at that price, not sure).

Feb 20, 2010 at 6:10 PM Post #3 of 22
tstarn the CK10s have more bass than the X10?

Feb 20, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by tim3320070 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am not necessarily looking for a lot of bass, just balanced to the overall sound- the X5 seems about right to me.

you will (would) be amazed at how small the x10s are. compared to the x5s which are easy to remove the x10s disappear. the x10s are smoother through the midrange and go lower and are smoother than the 5s.
check my recent posts to find the custom 3s from klipsch at 149 with free shipping in the us. you might like that sound if you like the klipsch signature. the c3 is a dual ba. the x10 refurb stock at 170 comes without (except tips) accessories, just so you know in a plain white b-stock box.

Feb 20, 2010 at 7:16 PM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by semisight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tstarn the CK10s have more bass than the X10?

Not more bass, but the CK10s, if you get a good fit and the right insertion (tips are critical) has excellent bass quality, enough for me, that's for sure. And I'm not alone, though I know it's a topic open to debate. Listening to Bonnie Raitt right now, Road's My Middle Name, and the bass is right on the money (no EQ, Sony X, 192k). After some serious listening, I just wasn't impressed with the X10s SQ-wise, and their form, while light and comfy, is also not what I wanted (an over the ear high-quality sound option).

Feb 20, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by tim3320070 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I pulled the trigger on the b-stock X10s. I liked the X5 a lot. I just wish they would include the little travel box.

good move. beautiful copper finish. almost too nice to hide in your ears.
you'll love em. the box for the 10s are the same as the 5s, tips and all: the same.
i don't even use the box, i gave it to the wife. the travel case is just too small, once you get the wire/cable relaxed you won't want to tangle it again. i keep my iems in small plastic containers. the ones with the snap on lids; dust free and not coiled tightly.

Feb 20, 2010 at 8:26 PM Post #9 of 22
Crazy how the TF10 is a forgotten phone now. I have made the purchase of the CK10's to compare, should have them this upcoming week. tstarn's opinion gave me the green light to give em a try. I still love my TF10's though. I just cant explain the soundstage on those things, it's crazy 3D like.

Feb 20, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Guidostrunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Crazy how the TF10 is a forgotten phone now. I have made the purchase of the CK10's to compare, should have them this upcoming week. tstarn's opinion gave me the green light to give em a try. I still love my TF10's though. I just cant explain the soundstage on those things, it's crazy 3D like.

Soundstage is very sweet for TF10 pro, if they can be a little bit warmer and more prominent mid, I think they will gain more popularity

Feb 20, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by gameboy115 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Soundstage is very sweet for TF10 pro, if they can be a little bit warmer and more prominent mid, I think they will gain more popularity

That's exactly what the Unique Melody mid driver and 3 way crossover upgrade does to the stock TF10 sound.

Feb 20, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by gameboy115 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I really do not think that the mid's are recessed, more in the sense of not being a mid forward IEM. I find the mid's sweet with the Mustang, but thats just me. I also find that the default standard of wearing them over the ear puts the sound spectrum in perfect balance,also i find them to be a warm sounding IEM but not overly excessive. but thats just me again.

Feb 20, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Guidostrunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Oops, pressure is on. I hope you like them. Did you get them for $200? If so and you don't like them, PM me. No doubt you read the TF10 vs. CK10 thread, and many owners of both favor the ATs. You won't miss anything, provided you get a good fit, and to me, insertion depth also is critical, but not to everyone (some are happy with a seal from the Klipsch gels or a bi-flange.

Feb 20, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oops, pressure is on. I hope you like them. Did you get them for $200? If so and you don't like them, PM me. No doubt you read the TF10 vs. CK10 thread, and many owners of both favor the ATs. You won't miss anything, provided you get a good fit, and to me, insertion depth also is critical, but not to everyone (some are happy with a seal from the Klipsch gels or a bi-flange.

Yes sir $200 , I'm a very patient person so i wont give up on them until i get the fit properly. I'm anxious to hear them and what everyone's excited about. I'll post my observation on that thread when i get them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back