Can I convert this amp to stereo?
Dec 10, 2007 at 9:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

nineohtoo

500+ Head-Fier
Hi. Someone local has this amp, and he made it aware that its mono. I was wondering if there was possibly anyway I can make it a stereo amp. If so, is it possible to get a headphone jack on this some how? Thanks.

Its an Eico HF-20:

01010701020401031220071209f8368a96649eb3f1cd00f18d.jpg

Here's some pics of the insides from an ebay auction:

eico1d.jpg
eico1c.jpg

and the back:

eico1b.jpg

Thanks for any help you guys can offer!

Dec 10, 2007 at 10:59 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by firefox360 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The amplifier only has one channel on it, so the only way to have a stereo setup would be to buy 2 of those, or to build another replica of it.

Beat me to it... I was gonna photoshop a pic of two of them side by side and say "here's how."
tongue.gif

Dec 11, 2007 at 2:48 AM Post #4 of 7
Finding another might be worthwhile, as the output trannie looks like a good one. The caps are crap, but they are easy to replace. What are the output tubes?

Laz

Dec 11, 2007 at 4:54 AM Post #5 of 7
2nd the motion for picking up another amp or building two new ones based on the design. Might be hard to match that tranny and the sound from those awfully old caps if you try to build one and run it beside the other.

Dec 11, 2007 at 5:53 AM Post #6 of 7
It's a good amp, push-pull 6L6GC's similar to a pair of Heathkit W5M's I used
to own that were beautiful sounding. I say get the amp and scour Ebay for
a mate.

Dec 11, 2007 at 7:08 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus Short /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Finding another might be worthwhile, as the output trannie looks like a good one. The caps are crap, but they are easy to replace. What are the output tubes?

Laz

Looks like 6L6 output, push-pull.

It looks like it has a preamp in there, as well. You could get a second one and try to run them as monoblocks (sorta) but you'd have a separate volume control for left and right. A little inconvenient, but you could do it.

Believe it or not, some folks are into mono recordings. If you ever want to explore early LPs and 78s, this might be what you're looking for. Or if it's exceptionally cheap, you might want to fix it up and use it with just one speaker in the office.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back