Can headphones buzz even when they are not plugged in?
Feb 6, 2008 at 4:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

webby2001

New Head-Fier
Greetings, Head-Fiers:

I have a bit of an odd issue with a pair of Sennheiser PXC 450s I just bought for my frequent flying. They sound fine with the noise cancellation on--bit compressed, but more detailed than the Bose QC's, and I am happy with them for that purpose. The problem is when the noise cancellation is turned off, and the headphones are set completely to "bypass" so that they operate as if they are just any old pair of head phones. There is a barely (but annoyingly) audible buzz in one of the speakers at all times. And I mean ALL times--if you take them out of the case and put them on your head without even plugging them into a source, the buzz is there. How is this possible? It's not my ears! When I reverse the cups I hear it in the other ear. How can a headphone buzz when it isn't even receiving a signal? It also buzzes when connected, when music is playing, whenever. I love them on a plane, but when I land and want to listen to music with noise canceling off it is annoying. Forgive me if this is a naive question, as I am not a veteran audiophile.

Thanks in advance!

Feb 6, 2008 at 5:33 AM Post #3 of 16
I think you could argue with sennheiser that this behavior is a defect, and see if you can get a new pair.

Feb 6, 2008 at 5:45 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you could argue with sennheiser that this behavior is a defect, and see if you can get a new pair.

Agreed, This is not normal. See what Senn. can do for you.

Feb 6, 2008 at 6:03 AM Post #5 of 16
Probably a little power leaking off the batteries. Though something in that driver could be acting as an antenna, picking up some RF, and generating the buzz. Sounds weird, but consider that crystal radios work without external power.

Feb 6, 2008 at 6:09 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Probably a little power leaking off the batteries. Though something in that driver could be acting as an antenna, picking up some RF, and generating the buzz. Sounds weird, but consider that crystal radios work without external power.

I think this is the likely argument. My speakers connected to my computer are always picking up random signals. Occasionally, I'll hear a random beeping coming from them that eerily reminds me of dial-up modems.

Feb 6, 2008 at 6:18 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by jgonino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, that is usually caused by the radio in GSM phones. My iphone makes my speakers beep all the time.

yep, ive actually noticed that my speakers will start to beep/tick before my phone rings

Feb 6, 2008 at 10:31 AM Post #9 of 16
Can't use the microwave while on the corded phone. So much noise, speech is unintelligible. Gotta wonder what it's doing to my insides. I quit standing by it when it's running! As far as the 'phones, if it was me, I'd try to return em.

Mark(me)

Feb 7, 2008 at 7:06 AM Post #10 of 16
It's only in one ear, and it happens all the time, so it couldn't be radio or microwave signals causing it. If it were, it would be in both ears, and it would vary in intensity and probably occur only occasionally.

I think it might be a problem with the noise canceling circuit, as I believe the noise cancellation runs off of a dedicated set of batteries; that means the 'phones wouldn't need to be plugged into a source to buzz, they'd just have to be getting leaked power through the noise cancellation circuit from those batteries. That would denote a manufacturer defect in the Noise Cancellation on/off switch or else somewhere in that line of circuitry. I have to agree with ajstre24, try taking out the batteries, and see if that helps. Whether it does or not, definitely think about getting a replacement, though.

Feb 7, 2008 at 7:15 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ajstre24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yep, ive actually noticed that my speakers will start to beep/tick before my phone rings

same here

Feb 7, 2008 at 7:21 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ajstre24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just guessing I have no real clue, but if they are battery powered headphones maybe take out the batteries and see if it is still there.. just a thought

+1
in any case, contact Senn or the retailer you purchased them from and get them exchanged!!

Feb 9, 2008 at 3:48 AM Post #13 of 16
Hi Webby2001,

I've just also purchased a pair of Sennheiser's PXC 450. I've got the same problem. You're not crazy. I thought I was hallucinating...then I saw this post. Thank goodness for that, or I'd have to prescribe myself some drugs:frowning2: Anyway, I've taken out the battery and the problem has disappeared. Perhaps it has something to do with the battery charge...I don't know. I'm sure there are Engineers out there who can explain this, but it is an annoying problem indeed. I'm thinking of contacting Sennheiser with regards to this problem. Have you done this? And if so, do you mind sharing in what they have told you? Thanks a lot.

Feb 10, 2008 at 1:07 AM Post #14 of 16
Thanks so much, Head-Fiers. I took out the battery and the problem disappeared. I may be stuck with these (I bought them in the Zurich airport on a trip from the States) but I can live with taking the battery out, I suppose. If I can get off the road for more than a couple of weeks I'll see about sending them back to Senn. Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back